Recommendations for water pump and thermo.

Daboy3000

2 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

I have only used the Meyle kit so can not comment on the Pierberg.

I did one a couple of weeks ago and the Meyle pump feels a super quality pump. 

Meyle HD if you can’t get a Pierburg at the right price, either or I fitted water pumps to all in my ownership, regardless of mileage, just preventative maintenance, because they tend to go with little warning.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Meyle HD if you can’t get a Pierburg at the right price, either or I fitted water pumps to all in my ownership, regardless of mileage, just preventative maintenance, because they tend to go with little warning.

Now you've got me thinking about changing the WP in the spring...  Thanks Mick, I think. 🤔

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Thanks - what do you think the life expectancy might be? 

24 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

Mine went after 20 years and 145k, but only 5k in my ownership. I suspect a lot depends on how you drive your car. I thrash mine at high revs a lot, so suspect this shortens the life. One of the reasons I fitted an under drive pulley to reduce the load on the pump and other ancillaries.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:24 PM, Photogirl said:

+1 for the Meyle pump. Composite impeller and the pump felt like quality. 4 year/100000 mile warranty and the SIC/SIC seal is "supposed to be" better than OE 

£120 inc gasket, bolts and 2 day delivery from bmwmotormec

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Need to do mine and seeing D911 doing a kit for about £138 now - plastic impeller.

Anyone used the kit?

Tempted to buy that and get my local indy to fit it.

3 hours ago, Riyazc said:

Need to do mine and seeing D911 doing a kit for about £138 now - plastic impeller.

Anyone used the kit?

Tempted to buy that and get my local indy to fit it.

Received wisdom is either are Pierberg, who supplied the original to Porsche, or Meyle are the choice options.  Thermostat, if it ain't broke, why fix it?  The 3.4 in the 987 can apparently benefit from a low temp thermostat as localised heat is believed to be behind bore score that that motor and the 911 3.6 engines can suffer, but this does not affect the 3.2.

Much appreciated ... I did wonder why the kit included all the other bits too but figure maybe it's I've of those things where you change it all in one go at you're doing the work.

1 hour ago, Riyazc said:

Much appreciated ... I did wonder why the kit included all the other bits too but figure maybe it's I've of those things where you change it all in one go at you're doing the work.

May as well change the thermostat and belt for the minimal extra cost whilst it is apart. Also spin the idler pulleys, alternator and aircon to see if they feel rough or have any play. 

The kit should be acceptable quality from Design911 but the Meyle pump is branded quality and can be bought elsewhere for £120 including bolts, gasket and delivery against £157 from D911. The D911 kit also doesn't appear to inlude the thermostat housing from the picture.

A 1/4" socket set and short 50mm wobble extension is all you need to access the 'difficult' pump bolt and use a torque wrench on it.   

A nice satisfying Sunday morning job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I swapped out the water pump & thermostat on mine when I had the coolant pipes changed. It was purely preventative maintenance & as the coolant was being replaced it made sense to have them done at the same time.

I went for the Pierberg pump as understand this is the original equipment manufacturer, plus opted for a low temp thermostat - I know that this is more a consideration for the higher capacity engines but it just provides a bit of piece of mind.

Used Autodoc to supply when then had a decent offer on, they seemed to be the most competitive on price when I ordered.

Edited by Boxstercol

56 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

I swapped out the water pump & thermostat on mine when I had the coolant pipes changed. It was purely preventative maintenance & as the coolant was being replaced it made sense to have them done at the same time.

I went for the Pierberg pump as understand this is the original equipment manufacturer, plus opted for a low temp thermostat - I know that this is more a consideration for the higher capacity engines but it just provides a bit of piece of mind.

Used Autodoc to supply when then had a decent offer on, they seemed to be the most competitive on price when I ordered.

For OP's peace of mind, the front crossover cooling pipes on the 986 are not the issue they are on the 987 which have bonded on connectors that corrode and fail causing a leak and a bill in the region of £800-1200 depending on DIY or indy or OPC fix.  The 986 just has spring clips on these hoses which can fracture and lose tension resulting in a small weep to a minor leak that can be cured with a Jubilee clip as a temporary or permanent measure depending on how detailed you area bout originality, but a Jubilee can be fitted without breaking the coolant circuit to fit a new spring clip.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just changed the pump, tensioners thermostat belt etc all in an attempt to rid myself of a very annoying squeal that only happens after the car gets up to temperature as it’s absent at start up.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

I’m at my wits end!