Recommendations for water pump and thermo.

Daboy3000

21 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Am I right in thinking that I should only go for one with a plastic impeller?

Standard thermostat all fine for a 2.5?

Any recommended brands or retailers?

Thanks 

If it were mine I'd go Porsche original re the pump.

Edited by iborguk

I believe the genuine pump has a composite impeller and is by Peirberg(?).

Standard thermostat fine in a 2.5, 2.7 and 3.2.  Only in the 3.4 987 it might benefit to help reduce possibility of bore score.

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

If it were mine I'd go Porsche original re the pump.

I'm not sure I want to spend that much, would imagine it must be near the £300 mark.

I was thinking Meyle as they are often OEM suppliers and desgn911 are doing a kit that seems good value.

https://www.design911shop.com/Water-Pump-Porsche-Boxster-986---996-C2---996-C4--non-Turbo-_3_2_2_2_2/prod137811/

35 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm not sure I want to spend that much, would imagine it must be near the £300 mark.

I was thinking Meyle as they are often OEM suppliers and desgn911 are doing a kit that seems good value.

https://www.design911shop.com/Water-Pump-Porsche-Boxster-986---996-C2---996-C4--non-Turbo-_3_2_2_2_2/prod137811/

Your call, the Meyle looks like a metal impeller which can cause havoc if it sheds a blade.  Pierberg comes in at £185 inc VAT and delivery from Autodoc, so not much more than the Meyle one from D911 once you add VAT and delivery to their price.

Your car, your call!

26 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Spoke to Design911, they confirmed its a plastic impeller, but I will look at the Pierberg too.  Cheers

If it is plastic/composite impeller, save the money. 

26 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If it is plastic/composite impeller, save the money. 

Agreed.Just check the size of the pulley compared to what you are replacing because you might need a slightly different size belt .

10 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

As in one for AC and non-AC?

No, it’s a standard size pulley on the water pump, but there are different length belts for ac/non AC car. Won’t affect replacement of water pump.

• Like 1

AC is 6PK2115 belt non-AC 6PK1930.  If you are fussy on these, Continental I believe are OE, however I am quite happy with the QH one I fitted to my AC equipped car just over 2 years ago that cost about £12.  It was bloody tight to get on, the spring loaded tensioner is quite tough to lever back all the way whilst getting the belt over all 6 grooves on all the pulleys.

Thermostat, I don't think it really matters as long as it fits and operates at the correct temperature. Some people do opt for a low temp thermostat, personally I stuck with standard temp one which I got from Autodoc. 

Waterpump, I went with Pierburg, I believe they made the orginal pumps. They are not too bad price wise if you shop around, this is the cheapest I can currently find. Guess I was lucky picking one up for £100 a couple of years ago. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393214523276?epid=251781341&hash=item5b8d69778c:g:9FoAAOSw9ftgWcc8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAGEvno2udotkU7FQLbFRBe0PI9LpFFXHSYQf1E4takzcntcPERTSBXkUcKgeMORPocJhCXXGN7HJq16JmQvx7f9UYEM7jmPnUWzIyi7WsTzq%2FqUyXumNQ6uZRR3CKULwu8J0weAqEfx%2B22sp0sm1SK%2BhWx1GdparTW5gvraHrQXQM3T56ifz%2FNWx6W43Qc6hQtPZUamw3CCakog7aZFVW2C3naXHkhIPqy%2BRhXjY7gUubfm3xSjl30tCi4iiZR7Xizh1nbp0QufhjJo43k1weMV%2BaHnEoRZ2rtWvMdpr%2Bw4Mp7nVJGhG1cs5e8sSolHLcQLvfaWsmITHrzoBZq34uP4%3D|tkp%3ABFBMnJjHxsdg

If you are not in any hurry, I suggest saving an ebay search for one and hold out for a cheaper Pierberg.

Edited by GmanB

Thanks all 

Went for the Meyle kit from design911, comes with belt, termo etc. Meyle is a good brand and has a plastic impeller. Delivered for £180 so good value too. 

Also got 20L ready mixed Mannol G12+ coolant from ebay for £35.

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just remember to have a big bucket to catch the coolant you drain out.  Oh and don't just tip it down the drain...

I'm not doing it myself, just don't have a suitable drive to lift the car safely. But thanks. 

I myself picked up a Pierburg pump ridiculously cheap, not that I required one at the time, that’s what you have to do with these motors if stuff is cheap , purchase and stock pile drop links for example is another one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I myself picked up a Pierburg pump ridiculously cheap, not that I required one at the time, that’s what you have to do with these motors if stuff is cheap , purchase and stock pile drop links for example is another one.

E bay is often a good place, someone who has had a motor, sold the car and has done the old stockpile, has a clear out of a shed for example and come across a load of parts. I’ve had TRW inner and outer track rods both sides spin new for £15 in the past. Now I’m in danger of giving my secrets away!!😂

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

I'd like to ask the OP if he's changing his water pump because it's become faulty, or if this is something which is done pre-emptively every 8 years or so?

I've owned my 986 for 15 years with no issues on that front, but I don't have any detailed records from the previous owner and I'm guessing I'm on my original pump. I'm thinking if it's not problematic to leave it alone, but would appreciate an opinion on that.

Can this all be done from under the car or is top access also required (always a painful question from a Zeintop owner).

25 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

I'd like to ask the OP if he's changing his water pump because it's become faulty, or if this is something which is done pre-emptively every 8 years or so?

I've owned my 986 for 15 years with no issues on that front, but I don't have any detailed records from the previous owner and I'm guessing I'm on my original pump. I'm thinking if it's not problematic to leave it alone, but would appreciate an opinion on that.

Can this all be done from under the car or is top access also required (always a painful question from a Zeintop owner).

Hey

I was getting a noise from the engine that sounded very much like a water pump on it's way out.  I bought the car with no history so don't know when it was last done.  Knowing that it can be the death of an engine I thought I would do it anyway.  Turned out I was right. The garage also said two pulleys were a bit noisy too.  I got them to do the pump, thermostat (just a regular one) and belt as I had already bought them and did the pulleys myself the next weekend.  

I believe they need access to the inside compartment(behind seats) and under the car.

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies, that's very helpful. I'm due a major service and I'm looking into a few extras which probably need doing (such as the auxilliary belt, spark plugs, a/o separator) and I saw the water pump being recommended for change after 8 years (I think). However there don't appear to be any noises or leaks so I'm considering leaving it until it's necessary. Good to know I won't have to lift my Zeintop to get it done - whenever a workshop re-fits it they often end up leaving me with some expensive damage.

@Photogirl

If you can afford to get it done and you are not looking to sell the car in the near future, then I would just get it done.  You'll be kicking yourself next summer if it goes leaving you stranded or worse.

I am planning to do plugs and coil packs once the weather warms up.

This is what I bought..

BELT - 99610215166/3 

WATER PUMP 986 1997-04 / 996
C2/4 1998-05 MEYLE Including
Gasket (not turbo) - 99610601157/1

Thermostat housing gasket.
Porsche 986 Boxster - 99610632651/1

WATER THERMOSTAT Porsche
986 Boxster - 99610612554/1

4x BOLT HEX-HD -90037803001

Total from design911 was £182 

4x5L MANNOL G12+ Red/Pink Antifreeze Coolant   - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202982947959   Gone up by a bit but still only £41

Should be about 2hrs labour.   I take my car to HPC classics in Eastbourne for most the stuff I can't do, not sure if that's a bit far from you but I recommend them.

I've always assumed a garage won't want customers buying their own parts, so it's nice that you can do that with the garage you mentioned. Eastbourne is probably a bit far, but good to know about HPC nonetheless. 

I seem to remember an indie mentioning it would be at least £500 to do the water pump, hence thinking I might stave it off as long as possible! 

I think @Daboy3000's list will come to about £500 fitted...

Pierburg is the OE supplier if you want to avoid Porsche tax but are fussy about keeping OE. That said, Meyle is a well known aftermarket supplier too.  You may find Autodoc a bit cheaper than D911, as long as you are happy to wait 7 or 8 days as they despatch from Europe.