Towed home by the AA today

300SL-24

If you're putting in a jumper in place of the relay and it's not running (And fuses being OK), chances are it's the pump, this isn't unheard of for them to run, then not, then free up and run again. Before splashing out on a replacement pump, double check you have 12 V at the pump and the ground connection is good thou.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 300SL-24 said:

Update:

I had time to look at this today. Made a jumper lead for the fuel pump relay and had a read up in the net. The car has not been started since Thursday but has been on a Ctek to ensure the battery is at full power.

I turned the key and could hear the fuel pump prime, and it started straight away. I left it running for about 10 minutes and it ran fine, so I switched it off. My thoughts were fuel pump relay intermittent possibly. I did a few little jobs, cleared the rear drains etc.

About an hour later no start!

So I removed the fuel pump relay and used the small jumper lead I made, quietly confident this would cause the pump to run. Not the case, even with the jump lead connected the fuel pump would not run. I pulled the fuse and it was fine, so that is where I am at.

I have taken on board the comments regarding the MAF, however with no fuel pump priming I would think the issue must be related to this rather than the MAF. 

So now where do I go, I would assume that somehow I need to check power at the pump as in the link kindly put up by @Andy Mac but suspect that there will be no power there. Should I connect a 12v supply to the pump directly and see if it runs, if so I need to look at something in the line before the pump. Maybe it is an earthing issue?

Thanks for any forthcoming help and advice

Regards

Ray

If you are confident in the relay bypass it certainly sounds like the pump is stuffed / intermittent (mine was). Mine wouldn’t run / would run occasionally - even ran OUT of the tank - but not when refitted (cured by new pump) it was like it was too weak to do proper work….

** I’d suggest putting power direct to the pump. See if you can hear it whirring. (Where to connect shown in my earlier post) **

So point 1 on ignition / remove battery / remove battery tray / remove harness to sender top / use battery to power the terminals (outer two i think - but correctly labelled pos / neg in my earlier post).

Beauty of that is no faffing around with meters / measuring harnesses etc - because if it doesn’t run with direct power you’ve got your issue.

ie it’s either the pump (highly likely) or a poor connection - from sender to pump - but to be fair the wiring from sender top terminals is usually robust and decent spade connectors to the actual pump terminals - ie they are connected or not.

Good luck 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 300SL-24 said:

If I need a replacement pump, a used one from Douglas Valley is £50

A pattern part is around £170 not sure about a Porsche part, tempted by the used one what do you think? 

On the basis you can buy 3 used ones for the cost of aa after market one, not sure about your budget, but I'd go to Douglas Valley, and possibly buy 2, one to sit on the shelf for next time...

I've had the salvage route work successfully three times so far, 4 stalk columns witches (to retro fir cruise), a window regulator and a MAF, all still fine after arouns 3 years, so should work for a fuel pump too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help given.

Before I strip out the fuel pump I would like to have a replacement here to change it over.

Looking at Douglas Valley's site it seems that there are a few different ones to choose from. I was wondering if I put my chassis number up could anyone give me a part number for it or maybe show me a site where I could get this information from.

Many Thanks

2 hours ago, 300SL-24 said:

Thanks for the help given.

Before I strip out the fuel pump I would like to have a replacement here to change it over.

Looking at Douglas Valley's site it seems that there are a few different ones to choose from. I was wondering if I put my chassis number up could anyone give me a part number for it or maybe show me a site where I could get this information from.

Many Thanks

To 2001 model year 996 620 102 00

2002 onwards 996 620 132 00

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

To 2001 model year 996 620 102 00

2002 onwards 996 620 132 00

I can't find Bosch numbers for either so they are probably not the OEM but VDO could be the OEM as I can find numbers for both units??  

996 620 102 00 - E22-041-087Z

996 620 132 00 - A2C5-212-4455Z

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 300SL-24 said:

So for my car a 2003 3.2S 986.2 facelift with a glovebox this one seems to fit the bill is that correct please?

https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/porsche-boxster-fuel-pump-2.7-3.2-litre-2002-+-+-2004-years-99662013200-99662013200-24272/

Yep.

• Thanks 1

A couple of questions before I tackle the job please. 

I will need to disconnect and remove the battery, I have read that I should do this with the ignition switched on to stop the alarm misbehaving is this correct?

The Porsche radio/CD player CDR-23 does it have a code?

I have checked the documents with the car and cannot find a radio code for it. But pretty sure that I have read somewhere that it has, and if so where can I get the code from please?

25 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Re the battery.  

I think the process is turn on ignition to pos 1 (on but not running) then off and leave the key in - that stops tbe backup siren going off.  

@Richard Hamilton what’s the situation with a CD-R 23 for radio code ? 

No need to enter a code on the CDR23.  Codes are stored in the radio and DME. When you turn on the ignition, the radio will fire up if the codes match. 

• Thanks 1

The car is all up and running again with the replacement fuel pump. When I removed the original and put 12v across it it ran for about 5 seconds and died. The replacement upon doing the same, carried on running so I was pretty confident it was the problem.

Whilst I was in there I vacuumed out all the rubbish and cleaned everywhere, resprayed the battery tray and cleaned out the three drain holes so a worthwhile job done.

So we all good again many thanks for all the help

• Like 11