Outdoor Car Cover

Clarkyboy

Are your SORNing the car or do you just want to protect the hood and drains?  If the latter the Cabrio Shield Premium is very good; I've been using one for 4 winters now.  Quick to fit and remove if you want to take advantage of a crisp winter morning drive without the hassle of dealing with a full size cover.

13 minutes ago, 944GS said:

Issue with those (I've had one) is that because they are non-breathable they can cause moisture build up.

I'm another vote for the Cabrio Shield Premium.

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

That’s good to know,  I use the car all year round so it would never be on more than 4 days at a time, do you think that would still be an issue?

I did look at the cabrio shield but didn’t like their website so will have another look!

15 minutes ago, 944GS said:

That’s good to know,  I use the car all year round so it would never be on more than 4 days at a time, do you think that would still be an issue?

I did look at the cabrio shield but didn’t like their website so will have another look!

Less likely with short term use (overnight) but I did notice my car would have moisture on it even after a few days.

I know it's a fairly big price jump (try and catch them when on offer - I got 30% off when I bought) but the Cabrio Shield Premium is a quality bit of kit backed by a 5 year guarantee (not that I've had to put that to the test).

Edited by iborguk

7 hours ago, 944GS said:

I bought this cheaper version as a backup to the full cover. I switch between the two or not bother depending on car use, weather how dirty it is.

The one above is good for a few a days, if keeping it longer ,I just take it off for 20 mins and re-apply to avoid moisture build up.

The full cover is breathable so that can stay on for weeks if required. Longest I went without driving the car was 4 weeks in the darkest depths of winter

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

Less likely with short term use (overnight) but I did notice my car would have moisture on it even after a few days.

I know it's a fairly big price jump (try and catch them when on offer - I got 30% off when I bought) but the Cabrio Shield Premium is a quality bit of kit backed by a 5 year guarantee (not that I've had to put that to the test).

@Clarkyboy Also buy from them direct, rather than their eBay shop, or at least compare prices.

Thanks for the comments on this, some interesting reading and good to have actual recommendations.

My Boxster was an impulse purchase, won't fit in my garage and was relatively cheap (ie lots of remedial work required). I was told it was waterproof by the previous owner but have noticed some carpet dampness after heavy rain (base of passenger door and bulkhead behind passenger seat). I'm anticipating it won't be used as much in winter and want to provide some protection.

I'm really after a cost effective option that provides at least some protection from the elements and had been considering a generic Halfords All Season Cover or a full cover from UK Custom Covers. Interesting that there is a lot of love for the half covers here, I hadn't considered that option.

I was motivated for the half-cover after a cat clawed a previous car's convertible roof (that roof ended up being replaced under warranty anyway).

I didn't want something which could scratch the car's paint.

I also wanted something which would come on and off quickly.

@944GS the ebay username matches the company name under contact details on the cabrioshield.com website...

6 minutes ago, Clarkyboy said:

Thanks for the comments on this, some interesting reading and good to have actual recommendations.

My Boxster was an impulse purchase, won't fit in my garage and was relatively cheap (ie lots of remedial work required). I was told it was waterproof by the previous owner but have noticed some carpet dampness after heavy rain (base of passenger door and bulkhead behind passenger seat). I'm anticipating it won't be used as much in winter and want to provide some protection.

I'm really after a cost effective option that provides at least some protection from the elements and had been considering a generic Halfords All Season Cover or a full cover from UK Custom Covers. Interesting that there is a lot of love for the half covers here, I hadn't considered that option.

If going full cover then a) suggest always ensuring the car and it are clean before putting it on and b) I'd buy something specific to the car size/shape to reduce the chance of it flapping about and scratching the paint.

19 minutes ago, Clarkyboy said:

Had the same issue with a neighbours cat actually where it has clawed the roof, so another reason for a cover.

Anyone had experience of this cover: https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/porsche-boxster-986-987-tailored-car-cover 

Think I would have been buying either a gun or a bad ass dog if a cat had clawed my roof!

2 hours ago, Clarkyboy said:

but have noticed some carpet dampness after heavy rain (base of passenger door

May be worth taking off the doorcard and checking the membrane is not leaking, one of the pervious owners of my car decided that the door membrane was not essential !! I bought an original from OPC Colchester for about £40. It would also be worth checking under the carpet as mine was absolutely sodden.

Be really careful where you store the car cover when not in use. Mine got some grit on it and scratched the clam on the back of the car ! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Clarkyboy said:

The half covers keep the water out of the rear and the doors, fold up easily take a minute max to fit and less to remove. I can even fold mine when it's wet without getting wet myself.

Get that damp sorted as the alarm control is under the passenger seat and wet in there is expensive trouble.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, Clarkyboy said:

Had the same issue with a neighbours cat actually where it has clawed the roof, so another reason for a cover.

Anyone had experience of this cover: https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/porsche-boxster-986-987-tailored-car-cover 

I have one for my 986 and it has been great.

Breathable and a very good fit.

For the money you will not find anything better. Also keeps your car clean if you live in a dusty area like I do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkTF said:

How do these cabrio shields fit, is it an easy job. 

The rear flange closes inside the rear trunk, front goes under windscreen wipers.

Magnet holds the side flap in place with a velcro strap for good measure.

Hang on will go take some pics ....

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

On my Cabrioshield half cover, little rubber tubes sown into the seams hold the cover in place at the front and rear of the door as well.

Yes on mine too