Self servicing, write it in the service book?

andy987

Definitely, however because it doesn’t have a vat number on the stamp or writing it in, took a car with a semi stamped history plus put the work I had done in the service book and it ended up going to WBAC and they knocked £250 off the value…. So a fully stamped up book is all it’s worth, my self personally if a car of a certain age can be shown with receipts would have more wealth than a stamp in a book

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Definitely, however because it doesn’t have a vat number on the stamp or writing it in, took a car with a semi stamped history plus put the work I had done in the service book and it ended up going to WBAC and they knocked £250 off the value…. So a fully stamped up book is all it’s worth, my self personally if a car of a certain age can be shown with receipts would have more wealth than a stamp in a book

As addendum , no way would I pay if your capable to pay circa  £200 odd for a oil change etc for a stamp when the real cost in materials is less than £80 … go figure just keep your receipts add the mileage and date on them when it was done …would satisfy me as a buyer 

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

As addendum , no way would I pay if your capable to pay circa  £200 odd for a oil change etc for a stamp when the real cost in materials is less than £80 … go figure just keep your receipts add the mileage and date on them when it was done …would satisfy me as a buyer 

£200 would be a cheap bill? £80 is better but don’t forget you get paid for doing more than the cost of materials for the job you do! At least expect to pay the same for when someone else does the job for you, granted OPC’s take p*ss big time, but their service areas are huge and costly and ‘sometimes’ you get a nice shiny loaner.
A OPC stamp in the book is good up to a certain age, then it becomes a game of £’s per vehicles value 

1 hour ago, andy987 said:

Ok thanks, think I’ll write the mileage in the book and keep the receipts in the folder with all the others. 

quote from my local Indy was over a grand btw

I'd rather see receipts for parts and evidence of regular attention that than a car with "full service history" with no more than a few blurry John Bull printing set stamps in the book at 20,000 miles intervals. I'd consider MOT history and the condition a car had been presented in for its annual check far better evidence of care.

Plenty of Porsches out there for top money with what I would class as "suspicious" FSH if you dig into it.

Paying £1k for a service on an £8k car when you can easily do just as good or better job yourself for £200 doesn't make sense to me. 

• Like 1

You can buy self service stamps , all types “ genuine parts used “ + many more varieties.

Google “self service car stamps “ 

But as said a thick file of work done and the book even it’s got your own stamps makes more sense .

Theses cars 987s are getting old and need TLC from owners , or garaged low milers who Indy’s pamper .

Interestingly there’s a thread running on PH about 981 s they are approaching the age whereby owners are starting to challenge OPC service prices .

Here is a copy of a post I did .

” Interesting question .
Which is better a 2 yr lub change at an OPC assuming under 20 K miles intervals or …………………..A wad of invoices from an Indy for lub changes every 5 K ( same Mob 1 oil btw ) 

Plus records of additional stuff like “ remove , clean , inspect brake pads , grease the caliper and pad friction points ,the pins and pad holes replace to prevent inner piston sticking “  

“ remove fromt bumper clean out debris from radiators and AC condensers apply anti corrosion to them refit bumper , clean up brake pipes “ 

“ clean and inspect front cooling pipes connections , apply waxoil “ 

“Reassemble front end replace wheel well liners and clean + balance front wheels “ 

Can’t see the just finished apprentice at the OPC doing any of this while a 9## is in for a lub changes every 2 yrs ! 
They are parts throwers .

Would prefer it fails it’s MOT or they spot corroded inner disk faces .Would prefer you phone up and say “ there’s a puddle of coolant on my garage floor at the front of the car “ 
Or “ My AC isn’t blowing cold “ etc etc .

Any preventative work is just blowing the services managers brains out ….shrinking his turnover per car under his tenure .

So the reality is a book of OPC only stamps on a 7-9 + yr old Porsche is a book of deferred maintenance.What iam I missing ? “ 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, andy987 said:

Not for me, just want to record the service rather than mislead, agree on them getting more attention though.

I put some pics of the work I did here which included cleaning behind the arch liners.

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/92125-2005-porsche-boxster-9871-32s-in-arctic-silver/

It's not just me that photographs a cut open oil filter then!

I couldn't resist a good clean-up under the front end when I replaced the air-con condensers. Dinitrol wax where needed to stop further corrosion, Polytrol refurb on all the arch liners/undertrays whilst they were off and photographs of the job for the file. 

• Like 1

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

I do find it funny when the usual pundits claim you need a full service history when we all know often it's not worth the paper it's written on, trusted indies aside.

If you are selling to a fellow enthusiastic spud a file of receipts with annotated dates/mileages will shine through, always does for me.

Then you have the eijits who insist on a fully stamped service history, just look at some of the threads on the Tesla forums, here is a car the doesn't require routine servicing but they continue to insist/want it.

I just replaced my wipers on our daily yesterday, bought them from Halfords so dated and inserted the receipt into the document wallet.

I tell my lads regularly, if it isn't signed & dated it's worthless so I just sign and date the service book and add any additional observations or actions. 

• Like 1

I always mark up the invoice for parts with the reg no I fitted them to and the date fitted.  One problem that seems to be coming along it that some dealers are junking receipts due to GDPR as they give previous owner's addresses and other details without those people's consent for it to be shared, and they ain't going to sit there and redact every personal detail.  Someday it might only be possible to buy a car with a stamped service book and no information to back it up, and now new cars are going digital only so once out of the franchised network there is no book even to record the history.

• Like 1