Fuel Filler tether

Withy

I've got one of those aluminium look fuel filler caps, and the rubber tether thing is snapped.  Not that this is a real hardship, but would like it replaced - are these all the same for so I could get any VAG group equivalent?

The PET part catalogue lists a 'Holding Strap' but it is bundles up with the cap part number not as an individual item.  Could well be identical to a separate part in the VAG system.  Looks like 8N0201556 would do it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BBB said:

£9 for the tether strap alone here

https://porshop.co.uk/strap-for-petrol-filler-cap.html

But give the SKU on that listing 997.044.200.05 to your local OPC and it might come up somewhat less as D911 list it at £4.36 + VAT

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

At long last I actually got one of these from OPC (Glasgow) - for the princely sum of £3.95!

It's actually a bugger to replace as it's a ring around the filler cap and new one seems maybe 2mm smaller in diameter. Comes with a nice warning from Porsche that it can only be fitter by "An Authorised Porsche Partner".  

Cap

Anyway, I removed the cap well away from car, cleaned and dried it thoroughly, and used a heat gun to stretch the new tether and persuaded it on.  I tell you it is a bit odd to be using a heat gun on anything that has been near fuel!
All back on and sorted now.  I do find it strange that this plastic thing (It's not actually aluminium, just aluminium look) makes a difference, but it does!

Cap

Hopefully get some decent weather soon so that I can clean the car (a new array of products on the way thanks to some random Instagram ad from EZ Car care!)

33 minutes ago, Withy said:

At long last I actually got one of these from OPC (Glasgow) - for the princely sum of £3.95!

It's actually a bugger to replace as it's a ring around the filler cap and new one seems maybe 2mm smaller in diameter. Comes with a nice warning from Porsche that it can only be fitter by "An Authorised Porsche Partner".  

Cap

Anyway, I removed the cap well away from car, cleaned and dried it thoroughly, and used a heat gun to stretch the new tether and persuaded it on.  I tell you it is a bit odd to be using a heat gun on anything that has been near fuel!
All back on and sorted now.  I do find it strange that this plastic thing (It's not actually aluminium, just aluminium look) makes a difference, but it does!

Cap

Hopefully get some decent weather soon so that I can clean the car (a new array of products on the way thanks to some random Instagram ad from EZ Car care!)

Very hot water does the same and is probably a bit safer 😂👍 Just leave the rubber in hot water for a bit and jobs a good un 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Withy said:

I do find it strange that this plastic thing (It's not actually aluminium, just aluminium look) makes a difference, but it does!

Cap

I bought the overpriced "Aluminium look" fuel cap too for a bit of fun. It's not a visible mod, its just for me when I go to refuel.
The tether is a PITA. I was thinking about just removing it.

39 minutes ago, eob said:

I bought the overpriced "Aluminium look" fuel cap too for a bit of fun. It's not a visible mod, its just for me when I go to refuel.
The tether is a PITA. I was thinking about just removing it.

Mine came with the car, I don’t think I’d have forked out for the £130 wannabe ali cap otherwise. Just nonsense (for me).

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Mine came with the car, I don’t think I’d have forked out for the £130 wannabe ali cap otherwise. Just nonsense (for me).

I never paid full price but I've too much money I guess. The quality is rubbish.

There was a billet one that was half the price

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2173

but oc I started reading about fuel caps causing engine management lights so I opted for the one with a Porsche part number.

2 hours ago, eob said:

I never paid full price but I've too much money I guess. The quality is rubbish.

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2173

but oc I started reading about fuel caps causing engine management lights so I opted for the one with a Porsche part number.

Not knocking your choice. I just think they are taking the proverbial re the price.

4 hours ago, eob said:

you'd not want that bouncing on your wing!

7 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

you'd not want that bouncing on your wing!

It's still plastic ;) , just ali look or silver paint as we like to call it.

718 has a little hole on the fuel flap which you can dock the cap whilst fuelling. 

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

It's still plastic ;) , just ali look or silver paint as we like to call it.

718 has a little hole on the fuel flap which you can dock the cap whilst fuelling. 

Oh I thought that was Alloy whereas the Original Porsche one was plastic...

• Like 1