Double beep locking problem

Sancho

My 986s has started to give double beeps 12 seconds after I lock it . The manual says this indicates a fault on the alarm system. It’s not the normal single beep you get if you don’t eg shut the glovebox. Porsche centre want £200 to do a diagnostic check. Not sure if I can just ignore it and hope for the best. Anyone had this? Grateful for any advice.

23 minutes ago, Sancho said:

My 986s has started to give double beeps 12 seconds after I lock it . The manual says this indicates a fault on the alarm system. It’s not the normal single beep you get if you don’t eg shut the glovebox. Porsche centre want £200 to do a diagnostic check. Not sure if I can just ignore it and hope for the best. Anyone had this? Grateful for any advice.

Well only you can decide if you want to ignore it but as you say it indicates the alarm has detected a fault.

Do the car doors lock off the remote...?

Have you checked under the passenger seat to see if the carpet/foam underlay (pull it up) is wet ? The Alarm Control Unit lives under there and they can drown if the roof drains are blocked.

Failing that getting it onto a durametric or PIWIS may help zero in on the fault.

Edited by iborguk

JMG Porsche are not far from your neck of the woods in Ferndown.  They know as much about the 986 and 996 alarm system as anyone, possibly including Porsche, and I'm sure won't charge £200 to do a check.

• Araf changed the title to Double beep locking problem

Thanks all for those suggestions and to Menoporsche for the test. I’m going to drive it for a bit to see what happens but will no doubt need to get it checked. Thanks again. You’re a very helpful bunch!

Sancho

Thanks to Iborguk. Just read the link. Gosh very thorough and detailed. My Boxster is almost always garaged but has been out in the rain a bit lately. I’ll check the floor under the driver’s seat. Everything seems to be working; both key remotes ; unlocking and locking doors; unlocking boot lids; starting the engine. It’s only the double beeps 12 seconds after locking that is new. This started after I brought the car back from MoT test yesterday but garage said they hadn’t done anything to cause it. Anyway JMG looks like the best place to go if I want it sorted. 
Thanks again

Sancho

No water under seat. Bone dry. Tried locking door with key. No double beeps! The left boot lid open and locked with key fob. Just usual single beep- no double beep. Shut boot lid and locked using key fob. Again no double beep. Maybe it’s sorted itself!

Hope so- but thanks again to everyone for support. You really are a good bunch?

Sancho

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, TROOPER88 said:

I won't charge you £200 but I will tell you what your problem most likely is though.

It will be one of your door lock modules sir.

Only replace with a genuine Porsche part.

2 hours ago, Bazzer said:

Look at @TROOPER88's post on November 9.  The genuine Porsche part is actually a VAG part number and there are several options depending which model year you car is details below for the Porsche parts catalogue.

qBBjR84.jpg 

AtES6Kn.jpg