Little Red GTS....

RBD914 v2

So, after a spell in a 992, then a 718 Spyder, I am now back in a 981 GTS...and boy does it feel good!

This is my third time around in these sublime cars, certainly the best model in the range in my humble opinion...having tried most of them!

I took it out for it's first good run in my stewardship today, around my local roads in the Scottish Borders, the sun had his hat on so I took a few pictures.

Carmine red really is a stunning colour, and I have really missed that insane exhaust note!

This car was bought from an owner on this forum and is in beautiful condition, it has a fantastic spec and certainly goes very well!

I am over the moon with it, and hopefully this one, finally, is a keeper!

Here come the pics...

2022-11-13_08-59-582022-11-13_09-00-442022-11-13_09-01-232022-11-13_09-01-502022-11-13_09-02-052022-11-13_09-03-022022-11-13_09-03-242022-11-13_09-04-35

Edited by RBD914 v2
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, daz05 said:

Lovely example, looks more like Guards to me than Carmine in the pictures.

How do you feel it compares to the Spyder, do you find they are closer than they should be in terms of engine performance?

Now that's an interesting question...

The Spyder was slightly quicker, as you would expect given its 4.0 litre engine, but not by much and it certainly didn't sound anywhere near as good.

Also, I found the Spyder a bit "twitchy" when pressing on, a kind of darty feeling from the steering, almost like it was too responsive for a narrow, bumpy road, not a nice feeling. The GTS feels much more planted and willing to absorb a bumpy surface at speed.

Like I said in my opinion, as a fast road car in the real world, i.e. not on a track, I think that a GTS takes some beating!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Do you point it out proudly and say “Car? MINE!”

ok, getting back in my box now…

Nobody to point it out to mate, very quiet up here in the Scottish Borders!

Not a soul on the roads, had them all to myself...bliss!

Edited by RBD914 v2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Nobody to point it out to mate, very quiet up here in the Scottish Borders!

Not a soul on the roads, had them all to myself...bliss!

Meh! Looks ok….

just kidding, looks bloody lovely…

box of Jaffa cakes into the prize fund pool to see how long he keeps this one for 🤪

2 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Meh! Looks ok….

just kidding, looks bloody lovely…

box of Jaffa cakes into the prize fund pool to see how long he keeps this one for 🤪

Ha,ha...I love Jaffa cakes!

Too be fair my car changes have reflected the changes in my life circumstances as they occurred...

Employed - GTS. Retired - Black Edition. Back to work part-time 981S. Full time work again - GTS. Partnership - 992/ Spyder.

The latest change is purely because I got offered stupid money for the Spyder, and I really missed my GTS cars, as I enjoyed them most of all.

I have loved every minute of my car journey, so there we are, the circle is complete!

However never say never, your Jaffa cakes may not be safe...!

1 hour ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Ha,ha...I love Jaffa cakes!

Employed - GTS. Retired - Black Edition. Back to work part-time 981S. Full time work again - GTS. Partnership - 992/ Spyder.

However never say never, your Jaffa cakes may not be safe...!

I have a personal issue where I get too attached to the things I own hence I don’t change my vehicles often! And the reason I have 4 motorcycles sat in the garage as I can’t bring myself to sell them!! 🤣

I too would love to own a 981 GTS but there are a few cars that I’d like to try first but doubt I’ll get the opportunity as refuse to pay overs ☹️ 

Anyway, I don’t like Jaffa cakes so I would gladly give them to you 😁

Look forward to your impending updates on a lovely looking car 👍🏻

14 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Regarding the colour Carmine Red, it does take on a different hue in certain lighting conditions.

It is a lot darker than Guards Red, the second close up photo above is probably the best true representation.

Yep a friend has a carmine Cayman and on a dull day it gets very very dark but lightens up when its bright.  I do believe you but I mind is telling me its Guards because it looks so similar to mine.

Thanks for the update on the Spyder, my 981 behaves, not exactly but more like you describe the Spyder than it used to with the bracing and ARB I've added, I prefer the sharpness but you need to draw a line somewhere if you want comfort.

15 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Well you would be a little biased Jonathan!

Got your new 718 GTS yet?

Yes - picked it up on Saturday: another beautiful car with a creamy engine and I really enjoyed the return to a manual gearbox. Sadly we don’t have any roads like yours in the vicinity so have yet to fully shake it down - the M40 didn’t lend itself to a spirited drive. I can’t wait to get it onto the open road and have a proper blast.

Really pleased to hear you are enjoying the GTS; please stop mentioning the noise - it’s breaking my heart! I need to change my profile pic.

And it is definitely Carmine. 

• Like 1

Well that looks rather lovely, as do the roads.

The black badges on the boot... is that a standard thing with the GTS?  I photoshopped mine black (against Racing Yellow) and decided I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that, but looking at yours has me thinking again...

16 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Well that looks rather lovely, as do the roads.

The black badges on the boot... is that a standard thing with the GTS?  I photoshopped mine black (against Racing Yellow) and decided I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that, but looking at yours has me thinking again...

Thank you!

Yes I believe that all the GTS models have black badges as standard.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 AM, RBD914 v2 said:

Also, I found the Spyder a bit "twitchy" when pressing on, a kind of darty feeling from the steering, almost like it was too responsive for a narrow, bumpy road, not a nice feeling

Congrats on the car Rob, looks great and we know they are fantastic cars so im sure it will prompt many grins. 

The twitchy comment is interesting, it’s something that has been levelled at the new GT3 (see Harry’s garage review for example), a fantastic car on the track but a bit too direct for bumpy b roads.   However the new GT4 and GT4 RS seem to have had a design aim of making them fun on road rather than fastest possible on track, so it’s slightly surprising that you found the Spyder twitchy. Did you ever have the alignment/setup checked? 

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob.

Great car mate....love that Carmine Red.... Sorry to see the Spyder go mind.....you know how much I love these. The 981 GTS must be a sweet spot in the range as you've gone back into one?

Look forward to seeing it in person hopefully at some stage in the future buddy.

I'm interested in the "Twitchy'nes" of the 718 Spyder...do you know what suspension set up they have ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greenman said:

Congrats on the car Rob, looks great and we know they are fantastic cars so im sure it will prompt many grins. 

The twitchy comment is interesting, it’s something that has been levelled at the new GT3 (see Harry’s garage review for example), a fantastic car on the track but a bit too direct for bumpy b roads.   However the new GT4 and GT4 RS seem to have had a design aim of making them fun on road rather than fastest possible on track, so it’s slightly surprising that you found the Spyder twitchy. Did you ever have the alignment/setup checked? 

Hi Wayne, no I never had it checked. Is was OK most of the time, but on certain roads it felt lively at the front, especially when pushing on a bit!

4 hours ago, villaman said:

Hi Rob.

Great car mate....love that Carmine Red.... Sorry to see the Spyder go mind.....you know how much I love these. The 981 GTS must be a sweet spot in the range as you've gone back into one?

Look forward to seeing it in person hopefully at some stage in the future buddy.

I'm interested in the "Twitchy'nes" of the 718 Spyder...do you know what suspension set up they have ?

Hi mate, not sure what the set up is, but it is different to the GTS, and I believe similar to that on the GT3.

• Like 1

I understand the Spyder has the same X73 passive setup as the boxster fitted with the optional X73 setup- eg different dampers, lowered springs and stiffer roll bars. The Boxster either with PASM or standard supension is more compliant.

A GT3 has a much more adjustable setup and so able to run a more agressive caster/camber/tracking setup.