Car suddenly pulls to the left on occasions.

Fat Rat

Well technical chaps. Help required.

It goes like this. Took the car for petrol on Friday. As ramping up around the 50 mark the car suddenly lunged to the near side. Pulled back and suddenly done it again. Steady ride to petrol station. Quick look round. All looks in order.

Took that as I might have hit some deep dips in the road.

Had the car out on the Saturday. Done around 120 miles, no problems. Out on Sunday for a short run and it done it again. Quite unnerving as needs a quick wrench to the right or I am left bound. 😬

Defo puts the wind up ya!

Any ideas chaps?

Have you driven the same route again, does it do it in the same places?

Does your car have PSM/Traction Control? As above, some electronic brain acting on one side of the brakes when it shouldn't sounds as good a theory as any.

To try and answer the above questions.

ABS sounds like a probable option. It does feel like a pull. How would you test the ABS sensors?

Both times it happened I was driving along, so different road & caliper not sticking as I had been driving without braking.

The car was recently inspected by @TROOPER88 and all looking good in that department.

No PSM fitted.

Bit baffled as to how to diagnose the problem.

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

To try and answer the above questions.

ABS sounds like a probable option. It does feel like a pull. How would you test the ABS sensors?

Both times it happened I was driving along, so different road & caliper not sticking as I had been driving without braking.

The car was recently inspected by @TROOPER88 and all looking good in that department.

No PSM fitted.

Bit baffled as to how to diagnose the problem.

Personally, I would strip the brakes down on that corner. Check the pistons are sliding in and out correctly.

You haven't topped the brake fluid up at all have you? Too much fluid will can cause your exact problem as when the fluid gets hot and expands, it has no where to go if over filled and thus the brake will be applied and the car can pull. 

49 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Personally, I would strip the brakes down on that corner. Check the pistons are sliding in and out correctly.

You haven't topped the brake fluid up at all have you? Too much fluid will can cause your exact problem as when the fluid gets hot and expands, it has no where to go if over filled and thus the brake will be applied and the car can pull. 

I will go along that route first. I did take some fluid out a few weeks ago as it was topped up to the brim. I will have a look and see what the level is now. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

I will go along that route first. I did take some fluid out a few weeks ago as it was topped up to the brim. I will have a look and see what the level is now. Cheers.

I had one recently that after a long drive would pull to the left and the NSF brake was binding - it was too much fluid that caused it.

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

I had one recently that after a long drive would pull to the left and the NSF brake was binding - it was too much fluid that caused it.

Thanks for info Paul. I know the fluid is more max than min as it was full to the brim before I took some out. I will take a bit more out. What is the best level? 🤙🏻

If it was full to the brim, was it over the max line? Presumably it wasn't like this normally? You might have another fault pushing the level up. 

A long while ago I had a P38 Range Rover and it had a similar tendency to randomly veer off and feel like the steering input didn't match the change of direction. Turned out I had a loose steering track rod 😁

11 minutes ago, edc said:

If it was full to the brim, was it over the max line? Presumably it wasn't like this normally? You might have another fault pushing the level up. 

More likely someone fitted new brake pads and didn't check the fluid level afterwards.

• Like 1

Little update.

Fluid was a tad over. When i lowered previous,  on a slopping drive. So took out probably 20ml to just below level. Took car out for gentle drive. Still occasionally pulling. One weird occasion when braking at crawl at lights. Touched brakes and pulled left. On off 3 times and the same. Couldn't get it to do it again. But what i did notice was the steering went wishy washy for a split second or so whilst driving along. Sort of unresponsive. Like the wheels are drifting with no steering and the steering wheel becomes floaty. Also, i bought a foxwell which showed a load of codes which most cleared. I put that down to disconnecting the battery for radio change and fitting LED lighting. All cleared but a couple. One being air con and the other, no signal comms, PCM control unit.

I have been chatting with @TROOPER88 who as usual is very helpful.

Conclusion is, possible binding n/s calliper. But why the codes? Needs to be plugged into PIWIS.

So I will be calling Jaz Porsche in St Albans on Monday to book in.

I will keep you informed of outcome. 🤙🏻

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

What are the active codes still reported ?

To be fair. I am a little confused as I saved the codes and can’t quite remember what remains. I will plug it in again when I get a chance. The car does not live with me and a tad busy this weekend. I will try and get to it tomorrow and take another reading. This code reader thing is all new to me. 😬🤙🏻

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, edc said:

The Foxwell should tell you what the code is related to. If not Google will point in the right direction. 

Thanks, I will try to read the codes again tomorrow, if not Monday. I will take pics of the screen this time. 😉