718s too fast for the road?

718as

When I had a 718 Cayman S for the day last year I found it phenomenal at the country lane overtake, that fat torque being available everywhere it seemed.  Whereas in the Boxster I might hold on for a stretch with a clear run, in the CS it quickly became apparent that much less gap was required.  After the first couple of cars I overtook I found I was pulling back in to the left considerably further up the road and the speedo having whanged around more than expected.

Of course, by the end of a couple of hundred miles I'd got used that capability.  Other than that and the heated steering wheel I was glad to get back into my lowly 2.7 981, which is still plenty quick enough to lose your license quickly.

Tested: 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S PDK Automatic (caranddriver.com)

From another forum -

" I took my Boxster S to the local drag strip (bone stock on the factory Pirelli tires) and did a 11.722 @ 117.12mph. That's roughly 3/10th of a second quicker than the 12.0 1/4 mile that Car and Driver reported. Based on my car's 60 foot time of 1.742 and 1/8th mile of 7.547 @ 93.47mph it probably hit 60mph in under 3.5 seconds."

1 hour ago, 718as said:

I took my Boxster S to the local drag strip"

So very sticky tarmac well rubbered in, not your average road. Pop a set of slicks on, strip out the interior, remove the roof and you'll probably shave of another few 10ths. Still not representative of real world driving on real roads.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EXY said:

That is truly horrendous,

that driveway needs power washed pronto  ;)

It's OK, it is not a Porsche driveway so doesn't have to be N rated (N for neat).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2022 at 5:22 PM, 718as said:

Tested: 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman S PDK Automatic (caranddriver.com)

From another forum -

" I took my Boxster S to the local drag strip (bone stock on the factory Pirelli tires) and did a 11.722 @ 117.12mph. That's roughly 3/10th of a second quicker than the 12.0 1/4 mile that Car and Driver reported. Based on my car's 60 foot time of 1.742 and 1/8th mile of 7.547 @ 93.47mph it probably hit 60mph in under 3.5 seconds."

Says it all really.

• Like 1

Took out a 714S for 90 minutes at the PEC when they first came out, superb car! Better steering, handling and much better torque throughout the rev range than my 981S despite me fitting upgraded free flowing headers, remaps and exhaust mods.

Nothing wrong with turbo 4 cylinders, my 981 replacement is an Alpine A110 and is devine🫣.

• Haha 1

I "retired" from bikes when I turned 60, lots of very happy memories and pleased to have survived from 16 without any visible damage... 

Two messages to everyone....

1. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

2. Every other vehicle you can see on the road is driven by a homicidal idiot who will kill you, given the chance......

My driving/riding style has always been passive aggressive, it seems to work. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

No. of course its not "too fast" because it only goes as fast you want it go. 

Has it got more performance than you can fully exploit on the public road?  Yes.

The big torque of the turbo fours and the 400hp of the 4.0 six means that there is far more performance than is necessary. The only time that full performance is ever really used on the road is briefly during overtaking. 

If you want to get your fun wringing the engine out in a Boxster then a 987 or 981 base model is the one to go for. 

On 1/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, 718as said:

"PDK-equipped cars are good for about 74 mph in second gear while manual-transmission cars wind all the way to 81 mph before needing third." 

😎

Agreed, but can any mortal manually shift between gears as fast as a PDK box can? 

• Haha 1