718s too fast for the road?

718as

As Bike Loon says, try a sports bike. 3.5s to 60 on a bike is sports tourer territory, and a bit boring.

The throttle works both ways, but as Im now getting old I tend to think "realistically, where are you going to use all this performance, unless you do trackdays?"

Roads are so full of traffic, often driven by the clinically bewildered and the hard of thinking, speed cameras, ANPR, etc. etc.

It not as much fun as it used to be. 

Edited by Bradders59
  • Like 2

For a long time I only had a bike - Used to commute to station out through the lanes.  Back then then the B road was 70 if I wasn’t on a hurry or anything touching 100 if I was a bit late.  No Machismo - just that was the comfortable speed.  

Moved away. Outgrew bikes eventually, family, dog box, couple of toy cars, decent daily drivers etc.  

had occasion to cover the same road in the Boxster a few months back.  Started the run full of memories.  

JESUS - I hit the first section at around 50, within a quarter mile I was down to around 35 and that still felt like I was ragging it.  

how the hell did I do that run twice a day for 3 years - in the rain, on a bike at 70+ ?

This time for sure “the older I get the faster I was”  

• Like 3

Sometimes when Im struggling to get to sleep at night my mind wanders back to some of the things I used to do on bikes over the years.

I end up breaking out in a cold sweat just reliving the memories, and I realise how daft I often was in the pursuit of pleasure, and how lucky I was to get away with it for over 30 years.

Not quite in one piece, but still alive and (just about) kicking.

The story with cars was similar, but in a car you often have more of a chance if things go Pete Tong. 

15 hours ago, 718as said:

With a 0-60 of c3.5secs, do you find it too fast for the road as you are hitting the speed limit v quickly indeed.

😁

I got a loan Nissan GTR a few years back and whilst I enjoyed the experience I was relieved to return it in much the same condition I got it.

IMHO it was just too fast for its own good and even though it was slightly faster on paper than a 718 there wouldn't be much in it on the road.

12 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Roads are so full of traffic, often driven by the clinically bewildered and the hard of thinking, speed cameras, ANPR, etc. etc.

It not as much fun as it used to be. 

Ain't this the truth, throw suicidal cyclists and ignorant farmers in tractors into the equation and you have the recipe for at best a ruined weekend. 

I always say opportunities look better going than coming but I'm still convinced not changing our daily for a Hyundai i30N was the right decision. 

• Like 1

Back on topic.  I always thought that the rally evo specials from Lancia, Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc were certainly at times too fast to reflect their capabilities on our roads and that was 25 years ago and fast cars have only got faster and more capable since.  Not a new 'problem'.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Bet there isn't a smoker's pack option either...

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

If it dumps fuel into the exhaust maybe use a long stick ?

Aren't you guys thinking of the Caparo T1  ;)

Just ask Jason Plato he'll keep you right.

26 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Back on topic.  I always thought that the rally evo specials from Lancia, Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc were certainly at times too fast to reflect their capabilities on our roads and that was 25 years ago and fast cars have only got faster and more capable since.  Not a new 'problem'.

I've repeatedly said the new Boxsters will out-perform a Countach.

Tyres, brakes, suspension, crash protection, road surfaces, road design all so much better. Vastly more cars on the road and more speed cameras, but thank heavens a lot less people thinking it's cool to have a skinful and then drive home.

My comment at the top came from an article several years ago where someone tested a small light car with no particular performance figure, might have been a Smart roadster. He said the problem was, the faster the car goes, the faster you come up against someone driving slower. The trick that car pulled was to feel fast but not be fast.

Nice to read on here that some of you feel the same way as I do about my car. Yes I could put it to 6k rpm on twisting public roads, but by now I don't think I'd actually enjoy it.

Sorry, got to go and get a bit more sh*g, the pipe's gone out...

Down any interesting road you'd need spheres of titanium to keep up with just about any boxster in a countach. Any of the faster boxsters would drop you very quickly as soon as there were some tight narrow corners with hedges reducing visibilty.

I don't think I'll have another bike - just too many many halfwits out there. I always thought that it I got it seriously wrong and came to grief that'd be my own fault but if I got taken out by some woman texting her kids in her SUV asking them what they wanted for tea that would be difficult to live with. Or die with. As with others above when I think what I used to do it's a miracle I'm writing this. If I got the bike out I wouldn't put it away until I'd seen at least 150 on the clock. 

Same with the Subaru - it was 380hp/380lbs/ft with a flat torque cuve from 2200rpm and it had short gearing too. A sharp prod on the throttle and it was on 120. At road speeds it wasn't very involving - it was all too easy. Sold it and bought the boxster to slow me down a bit. It sort of worked...

20 hours ago, 718as said:

With a 0-60 of c3.5secs, do you find it too fast for the road as you are hitting the speed limit v quickly indeed.

😁

718s with PDK and Chrono 0-62 time is 4.2 sec. a whole lot slower (.7 secs) than your figures.  Still a thrill though when you open the throttle up to overtake etc.😊