987.2 IPD Plenum and 82mm Throttle Body

scaramanga

Hi all.  I’m debating this upgrade on my 987.2.  Has anyone done this and Have thoughts ?  Sorry I did try searching for “plenum” in titles within the 987 section but didn’t find results. 

I thought the install was fully reversible but looks like it involves cutting some of the existing vacuum hoses, is that correct ?

There doesn't seem to be much on IPD plenum installation on 987.2 but they are generally considered to be the worst "bang for your buck" on every other model of Porsche, much better to start with headers and exhaust. I spoke to them (IPD) when I considered it for my 986 and they seemed decent enough but they claim "substantial power increase" and I have never seen an independent review that confirmed this. If you type IPD plenum into Youtube you get some results mainly on Caymans and I think they are Gen 1. One review is from Satch and he certainly doesn't rave about it.

The instructions definitely say to cut some hoses so I suppose if you wanted to reverse it you'd need to buy new ones.

• Thanks 1

I have a 74mm IPD plenum on my 986. It was originally installed as part of a fairly comprehensive set of bolt on mods and extensive dyno mapping when it was still a 3.2 motor.

All in we saw over 290bhp (factory 250bhp) so I am happy they add value however I do think you gain the most when they’re added as part of an package of upgrades. 

No need to spend out on the vastly overpriced IPD item. All of the parts are available OEM used if you scout around. I costed it at just over £200 all in. I didn't bother in the end because of all the negative reviews. If you were embarking on a major tuning journey I suspect it would help as stated above but on their own I doubt it. It's the old story that if the ECU demands more air/fuel it will help but if it doesn't there's no difference and as also stated above they could slow intake velocity and leave you with less torque which is arguably the last thing this engine needs. Tuning the ecu to advance the timing would help.  If it needed it Porsche would've fitted it - the parts were all available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Takahashi said:

i'll probably do it at some point, but it will be along with headers, exhaust and a remap to make the most out of it.

That would be the ideal combination, I just did the filter, throttle body and plenum, and did the exhaust on the 987 with two of the cats removed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, JonSta said:

No need to spend out on the vastly overpriced IPD item. All of the parts are available OEM used if you scout around. I costed it at just over £200 all in. I didn't bother in the end because of all the negative reviews. If you were embarking on a major tuning journey I suspect it would help as stated above but on their own I doubt it. It's the old story that if the ECU demands more air/fuel it will help but if it doesn't there's no difference and as also stated above they could slow intake velocity and leave you with less torque which is arguably the last thing this engine needs. Tuning the ecu to advance the timing would help.  If it needed it Porsche would've fitted it - the parts were all available.

Sorry for the old thread bump, could you perhaps list the required part nos?

I certainly saw in increase in performance and BHP when I went larger TB and intake on the 986. Best mod I did to the 986 as it really woke it up. From memory it added 12 bhp and 6lbft over the whole rev range on a dyno plot.

I recall the 83mm (GT3) TB made no extra on a 987.1 (without remap) however the 74mm did make an improvement. Berty, on here, has done a very comprehensive write up on the subject that also included inlets and filters.

Personally I agree with  map - it's an improvement however not as noticeable without supporting mods.  

It's always an expensive path to modify a modern NA engine though, and many are brainwashed by youtube and the gains forced induction can give. If you research the companies that have proven power gains around the world, they all have the IPD installed. That speaks more to me than a youtube "influencer" 

On 7/4/2023 at 3:16 PM, ricof said:

Sorry for the old thread bump, could you perhaps list the required part nos?

If you have a look in members rides you should find my Boxster no 2 and I’m sure I posted some pictures of the throttle body swap, it is a lot easier on the 987.1 as you use factory parts 👌

Be careful all, the original enquiry was for 987.2, many of those replying are 987.1 or 986, two VERY different engines. So the answers about "value" might vary accordingly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

If you have a look in members rides you should find my Boxster no 2 and I’m sure I posted some pictures of the throttle body swap, it is a lot easier on the 987.1 as you use factory parts 👌

Thank you, I will. 987.1 here.