The 986 in films and TV

Ol' Shatterhand

And now for something completely different! 

Have you ever seen the Boxster on the big screen or on TV shows (I don't mean car shows like Top Gear and Wheeler Dealers, though it is arguable that these too fall under the fiction category). Was it used to reinforce familiar owner stereotypes?

I just happened to catch Legally Blonde on TV tonight. If you'd asked me 20 years ago I would have just shaken my head and muttered something obscene, but this time round I just found it to be a harmless bit of fluff, and not without charm either. I must be getting old... Anyway, the 986 in the film looks very good indeed. I think it's Ocean blue, which shows up very well in California sunlight. Not exactly a girly colour. And for a 2.7 it doesn't look half sleek... 

A red example makes a brief appearance as a stripper's car in Blues Brothers 2000. Not all owners were hairdressers it seems. 

And it is one of the 50 'ladies' on the blackboard list in Gone In 60 Seconds. People forget it was a hot car when new, highly sought after and popular. They did make 165,000 of them, after all. 

Any other examples you can think of? Inevitably most of its appearances will date back to the late 90s and early 2000s when the car was still current, but there is a more recent appearance in 21 Jump Street: it's a pre-facelift model and they make a joke about it not having a glove box in which the undercover cops who requisition it during a chase could hope to find a gun.

Over to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

I just happened to catch Legally Blonde on TV tonight. If you'd asked me 20 years ago I would have just shaken my head and muttered something obscene, but this time round I just found it to be a harmless bit of fluff, and not without charm either.

Agree. The car isn't bad either.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

IIRC one (in silver) appears in Line of Duty (or something similar) and is seen briefly in 2 episodes in a dark moody London street.

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

Thanks for this @brillomaster. Having checked, it was Elementary that I recalled it from.  (Binged that, Line of Duty among others in the lock downs...)

On 1/17/2023 at 9:08 AM, brillomaster said:

Definitely the definitive list 👍

How about an obscure one ... E.R. Season 3 Episode 18 (1996-97) : Jerry the receptionist, who is always doing other things while he should be working - often involving some Get Rich Quick scheme - is looking at a magazine while on the phone to someone saying "I'm talking 200 horses ... zero to sixty in 6.1 seconds ... yeah, I'll let you drive it".  The magazine illustration is clearly the cutaway drawing of the 986 that was used in all the 986.1 publicity material, brochure etc

(It turned out that Jerry was masquerading as a doctor and trying to sell his sperm to a sperm bank :))

ERS3E18

• Like 1