Spyder prices softening

zagamuffin

The trader must have bought that car very cheaply - even with the Classic interior and relatively high miles it looks suspiciously well priced compared to other cars, particularly given the time of year.  I wonder if there is more to the story.

On 3/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, Carmand said:

The trader must have bought that car very cheaply - even with the Classic interior and relatively high miles it looks suspiciously well priced compared to other cars, particularly given the time of year.  I wonder if there is more to the story.

It's only a few thousand miles more than the £69,500 one at Porsche Mid-Sussex, literally just down the road a bit.  If I was in the market for one I'd definitely be looking at both to see where a £10k difference comes from.

As much as I personally prefer the 981 over earlier model Boxsters I think when it comes to the Spyder I prefer visuals of the older version.  Am I alone in that afflication?

4 hours ago, moospeed said:

It's only a few thousand miles more than the £69,500 one at Porsche Mid-Sussex, literally just down the road a bit.  If I was in the market for one I'd definitely be looking at both to see where a £10k difference comes from.

As much as I personally prefer the 981 over earlier model Boxsters I think when it comes to the Spyder I prefer visuals of the older version.  Am I alone in that afflication?

Does seem a low price - no Porsche warranty, but only 1 owner.  
Seems to have an aftermarket exhaust which I’ve never seen before - perhaps the exhaust valves failed outside of warranty and that was a cheaper option?

• 1 month later...

I would guess on average something like 10-15k, the Spyder is very mileage sensitive so cars with more than 20k miles are considered leggy and consequently are significantly “cheaper”.  Most cars are still being offered at or above original list price which can’t be bad after 7 or 8 years.

Wide spread of prices reflects options, history, number of owners, warranty and mileage.  Will only ever be 220 odd 981s to choose from in the UK so well looked after ones will become increasingly difficult to find as the years go by.

I know they are not directly comparable but to me that means someone could spend 10k putting a 3.8 engine in and get the grunt without the fussy roof. Yes I know there are other points like lightweight panels and glass etc, but my suspicion is that most drivers couldn’t tell those, the impact of them on a 1300kg car is subtle. 
Interesting proposition. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 6:31 PM, Menoporsche said:

I know they are not directly comparable but to me that means someone could spend 10k putting a 3.8 engine in and get the grunt without the fussy roof. Yes I know there are other points like lightweight panels and glass etc, but my suspicion is that most drivers couldn’t tell those, the impact of them on a 1300kg car is subtle. 
Interesting proposition. 

Do you think that would actually be feasible?

If I were to say to a professional firm, here's my base 981 and 10 bags.  Fit me a 3.8 with a manual gearbox, but leave everything else as it is.

If I add 10k to my car as a purchase price I couldn't get a GTS, or even an S, which would be as good.

Already been done many times, although they use the 991 S (3.8) engine as it's more available and cheaper.

Seen examples from USA and Germany. Ehresmann Automotive  are the most common posters as they can also horses and body trim etc.

There was a gent that came to Blackbushe that drove over with his 3.4 981 and came back with about 380BHP and a lighter wallet, but that's 981 Spyder performance for less than £10k !

8 minutes ago, Patt said:

Already been done many times, although they use the 991 S (3.8) engine as it's more available and cheaper.

Seen examples from USA and Germany. Ehresmann Automotive  are the most common posters as they can also horses and body trim etc.

There was a gent that came to Blackbushe that drove over with his 3.4 981 and came back with about 380BHP and a lighter wallet, but that's 981 Spyder performance for less than £10k !

Mark Shead is your man for that😃

Edited by mneil
Alzheimer's

Good shout, I forgot the Cobb can open up the electronics for an engine swap and he is an Protuner for them too. And there is none I would trust more to tune an engine.

Mark is MADevelopments by the way 😉 

Well there you go… I’ve learned something here.  Sounds like I might need to fall down that rabbit hole for a bit of research.  Which I absolutely won’t be doing whilst I’m supposed to be working from home next week 🤫

• Like 1

Ehresmann look amazing, the only thing I'd be concerned about is if I had to go back for some reason, with hotel fuel and ferry it's gotta be well over £500 just to get there and back.

Juicy stuff here https://www.facebook.com/9x1.org/ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 11:22 AM, mneil said:

Mark Shead is your man for that😃

I contacted Mark about this just out of interest, it's not something he's done and he's not aware of anyone in the UK doing it.

I'd have thought there might be a market for it, if it was a straight "give us your car, £12k and a week" drive in drive out service.

I'd definitely have thought there would be a market for 718 to 981 engine upgrade conversions but that would be a lot more work 😁

In my experience, it's always best to call Mark - he's often too busy to keep up on his emails. 😉

I'm also guessing that pries will fluctuate due to price of donner engines of the 3.8/40 be it 981/718 or 991 lumps

18 hours ago, Patt said:

In my experience, it's always best to call Mark - he's often too busy to keep up on his emails. 😉

I'm also guessing that pries will fluctuate due to price of donner engines of the 3.8/40 be it 981/718 or 991 lumps

He got straight back to me, no issues.  It's just not something he's done before.

• Like 1