ANTI VIBRATION DAMPER - NECESSARY?

Obela

How necessary are these (part numbers 99635208602 and 99635208600) when replacing break discs and pads, or is it possible to use the existing ones on the new pads (by gluing the old ones I suppose..)?

For the rear axle the price of buying them new is about £85 and considering I can purchase the discs and pads for less than £100, it seems quite expensive!

Thanks for your help!

They are supposed to stick to the pistons and the weights sit in the hollows, reuse doesn't always stick but they will be clamped in place when there is brake pressure so will probably still do their job.  I reused on the front of mine and I've got to say I noticed no difference before to after and I haven't changed rears in my ownership.  Some note a squeal without them.  It might be worth observing that Porsche/Brembo wouldn't go to the cost of fitting them if there was no reason.

As a comparison. When I use my Boxster for Track Days, I change the pads for a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads all round. These are standard looking pads without the counterweights or any shims. I use a little copper grease on the backs and on the edges that contact the caliper.

Never had any squealing or vibration issues.

• 2 weeks later...

When you re-use - do you replace the "sticky" or just put them inthe pistons ?

I recently did my rears - replaced them all with new - and genuinely felt "used" by how much they were - I am a bit an*l re "if the manufacturer put them there they did it for a reason - comes form a father who was a engineer in the merchant navy ( "force 9, middle of the north sea isn't a time to second guess why a cable tie was put on that wiring loom that just frayed.....") - but I figured if I could replace the sticky with some appropriate 3m tape then why not?

The ones that came out had largely stuck to the paint on the pads, that had separated from the pad anyway - so really wasn't doing its original job but that doesn't make me feel "right" about not trying.....

The idea of these is to stick to the back of the pad firmly, the "spider" pushes into the centre of the piston, when you brake the piston comes out and pushes the pad onto the disc, when you take your foot off the brake the piston retracts into the caliper, the shims allow the pad to be drawn away from the disc which stops the squeal. If the pads are still lightly making contact with the disc they will vibrate and squeal, think of running your wet finger around the top of a wine glass, same thing, high pitch vibration.

If you do re-use your old shims you must fix them firmly to the back of the pad otherwise they are doing nothing. The spiders push into the pistons first and then the backing is removed form the shim to allow them to stick to the pad. If they come off ok strong thin double sided tape can be used on the old ones but everything needs to be clean

I didnt fit them to the front of the wife's car, it sometimes squeals for a second if wet overnight (car, not wife!) as soon as the overnight corrosion is cleaned off they are quiet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Obela said:

Any recommendations for a strong thin double sided tape?

@Lonewolfgjp was it you or someone else who bought a load to fit the GT ducts? Someone might be kind enough to post a few inches to this chap.

41 minutes ago, T911UK said:

Well, not that you need 30 metres of it but this is the muts nuts!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TKYNF62?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image&th=1

I might try this for where my roof fabric glue has failed ... 

19 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Lonewolfgjp was it you or someone else who bought a load to fit the GT ducts? Someone might be kind enough to post a few inches to this chap.

I wouldn't use a VHB foam tape in this application.  It needs to be a thin double sided tape or you will struggle to get new pads back into the caliper and TBH, the carpet tape suggested seems like a half decent idea, but cleaning it up for the next set of pads could be a tedious exercise.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:48 AM, edc said:

I might try this for where my roof fabric glue has failed ... 

I bought a new car recently and got £100 off for a 3" section of loose rubber window trim. Just used this tape to fix it down and jobs a goodun 👍