Light Refurb - What went wrong?

BERGS2

So i finally used a kit that i've had for a few year on the front lamps to get rid of that nasty yellowing.

Looked all good for a few weeks

then this seems to have happened?

Some kinda reaction with the treatment chemical? It was a very old kit (c.3 years maybe) but i dont recall seeing a best before or similar on it

https://imgur.com/a/AXghgKV

any ideas?

43 minutes ago, BERGS2 said:

So i finally used a kit that i've had for a few year on the front lamps to get rid of that nasty yellowing.

Looked all good for a few weeks

then this seems to have happened?

Some kinda reaction with the treatment chemical? It was a very old kit (c.3 years maybe) but i dont recall seeing a best before or similar on it

https://imgur.com/a/AXghgKV

any ideas?

egMAfE8.png

Which kit did you use?  I did mine with the Auto Glym kit that does not come with a sealant so I use an Armoral UV wipes and they ended up spotting like this too in just a couple of days, even though I made sure the lenses were really clean when applied.

I’ve tried a few kits now and none of them have stopped the yellowing coming back within a few months. So I've just bought this kit after a recommendation from someone on here, but haven’t used it yet. I’m hoping the ceramic part will give better protection. I now also have lots of abrasives and polishes but would really like it if someone just sold good quality UV protection wipes.

https://www.cerakote.co.uk/shop/equipment/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/

• Thanks 1

The UV exposure will always yellow the light again unless you coat or protect it. Some clearcoat others use a good wax or ceramic coat and reapply as needed. 

• Like 1

I used the T-Cut headlight restoration kit which comes with a liquid protectant to put on after polishing. Very easy to do and the potential for screwing it up not as great as wet sanding - i take my hat off to anyone brave enough to do that

On 3/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, phazed said:

Interesting. I have a 2005 S project car which has yellowing lights. What do people recommend?

I have considered to do it myself, then I turned lazy so took it to someone I know who owns a classic cars body shop. They removed the lights, polished, coated and placed in the oven for (I think) 1h.

The cost was £40 per light, 5 years on and they still look as new. Sometimes it's not worth to save on the pennies.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I have considered to do it myself, then I turned lazy so took it to someone I know who owns a classic cars body shop. They removed the lights, polished, coated and placed in the oven for (I think) 1h.

The cost was £40 per light, 5 years on and they still look as new. Sometimes it's not worth to save on the pennies.

I paid £80 per light last year. The lights still look fab. Well worth the money IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, ½cwt said:

Which kit did you use?  I did mine with the Auto Glym kit that does not come with a sealant so I use an Armoral UV wipes and they ended up spotting like this too in just a couple of days, even though I made sure the lenses were really clean when applied.

it was a super old one - I only have the sealant left so did the wet & dry and compound 'on the fly' and finished with the orbital polisher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlight-Restoration-Brightener-Polishing-Refurbish/dp/B0BTYT5KG1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=18ZYK8UHQENQ1&keywords=headlamp+polishing+kit&qid=1680547376&sprefix=headlamp+po%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-5

might just try to do them again but get a 'decent' sealant

that one went on like airfix glue!!

😂

On 3/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, phazed said:

Interesting. I have a 2005 S project car which has yellowing lights. What do people recommend?

While I was doing the paint work, with my dual action, polisher, I thought I would try a mild compound which I used on the paintwork on the headlights. The headlights weren’t as bad as some that were definitely dull and slightly discoloured. This worked a treat and I finished off by polishing them with a good quality which is when I did the paint work on the car.

I assume this will last and is a free fix, (for me as I have the product already which is cheap). 

One day, I will learn to upload images!

2 hours ago, phazed said:

While I was doing the paint work, with my dual action, polisher, I thought I would try a mild compound which I used on the paintwork on the headlights. The headlights weren’t as bad as some that were definitely dull and slightly discoloured. This worked a treat and I finished off by polishing them with a good quality which is when I did the paint work on the car.

I assume this will last and is a free fix, (for me as I have the product already which is cheap). 

One day, I will learn to upload images!

They will need some form of UV protective coating or they start going yellow again in a couple of years.  Ask me how I know....

On 3/22/2023 at 10:42 AM, BBB said:

I’ve tried a few kits now and none of them have stopped the yellowing coming back within a few months. So I've just bought this kit after a recommendation from someone on here, but haven’t used it yet. I’m hoping the ceramic part will give better protection. I now also have lots of abrasives and polishes but would really like it if someone just sold good quality UV protection wipes.

https://www.cerakote.co.uk/shop/equipment/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/cerakote-ceramic-headlight-restoration-kit/

As a follow up to this as I’ve used it now. The first step was something I’ve not seen in other kits: 4 wipes per headlight that remove the yellowing before you do anything else. Each wipe turned yellow so they were definitely doing something. Then 2 stages of wet sanding: 1000 grit and 2000 grit circular pads, followed with a ceramic coating from a set of wipes. The headlights look really clear so now it’s just a waiting game to see how long the UV protection works for.