Rattle at the back!

Triops

This rattle comes from the rear passenger side. Low down behind the seat.
Only appears when the car is warmed up and done a few miles, but it’s nothing to do with the engine. 

Makes a rattling noise over rougher tarmac surfaces at low speeds like on a country road over a moor. On decent roads no noise at all, not even on the occasional bump

Doesn’t do it over smoother bumps.

I’ve replaced the “sway bar and bushes” about 2000 miles ago.

Am I looking at a Control Arm problem? Car has 80K miles on the clock. 

Any one had this issue. What was it?

Thanks in advance.

If the rear hasn't been touched, just these arms should be easy to do.  Once you get into the coffin arm and the toe link you can find seized up eccentric bolts for the camber and toe adjustment.  Try to find TRW arms, these are OE to Porsche and come up with goo prices at both CarParts4Less and Autodoc.  Coffin arms and toe link, go with  Spyder or Meyle.  Any which way it will be a lot cheaper than the D911 kit you have identified.  Most bolts and nuts will go again with no trouble unless they are seized.

Edited by ½cwt

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Winster said:

I have the same issue but new tuning forks hasn't cured mine.  It's silent for 10 to 15 mins but knocks like a bugger once warmed up.  Baffled by it, especially as tuning forks seem to sort it for others.

Other source for knocks are the sway bar joints. You cant feel them being worn by hand, but as you describe - when warmed up a bit and driven.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, pacificjuha said:

Other source for knocks are the sway bar joints. You cant feel them being worn by hand, but as you describe - when warmed up a bit and driven.

I was about to suggest drop links. Cheap and easy to replace too.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Anyone fitted the Ridex tuning forks? If so, any good? 🤙🏻

Out of preference for OE, look for TRW (OE supplier to Porsche, the part even had the Porsche part number still on it, just the VP Porsche Design logo ground off), usually a good price on either Autodoc of CarParts4Less, although not so much today having just looked them up but cheaper than Ridex!

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Out of preference for OE, look for TRW (OE supplier to Porsche, the part even had the Porsche part number still on it, just the VP Porsche Design logo ground off), usually a good price on either Autodoc of CarParts4Less, although not so much today having just looked them up but cheaper than Ridex!

Cheers boss. What about the spider ones. They come out at about 90 quid each and claim they are made alongside the OE parts?

38 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Cheers boss. What about the spider ones. They come out at about 90 quid each and claim they are made alongside the OE parts?

Don't know for sure, but I have Spyder front tuning forks, coffin arms and rear toe links on mine, and quality seems fine.  They didn't have the rears when I ordered mine and I was hoping they might be OK to save a few quid on the whole suspension job, but I got the TRW ones are a really good price when I did come to buy.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Hi, did anyone buy the Ridex control arms/tuning forks please? They seem to be the only ones in stock with autodoc. 

Try Spyder Performance. Ridex are always suspiciously cheap, no idea who actually makes them.

23 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Try Spyder Performance. Ridex are always suspiciously cheap, no idea who actually makes them.

Thanks. Spyder have a couple of different sets (including adjustable!) but as far as I can see, no branding on either. Spyder are not far from me but Matt at Type911 is very local. I will call in or speak with him tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Thanks. Spyder have a couple of different sets (including adjustable!) but as far as I can see, no branding on either. Spyder are not far from me but Matt at Type911 is very local. I will call in or speak with him tomorrow. 

I have their standard coffin arms, from tuning forks and rear toe links on mine (as do several others). No complaints in almost 3 years 12k+ miles of use 

Just to say that my creaking at the back of my 2001 986 S has gone. I replaced the anti roll link and the suspension arm (used Ridex ex AUTODOC) The first suspension arm was the wrong length (their fault) but got a refund after chat with one of their guys. So that problem solved… I be got another weird one which I will post later…