Help Needed..! Cannot open frunk to access battery. 986 facelift

marcusjd

Hi.

I've stupidly let my battery go too low to be conditioned through my CTek/Cig lighter port.

My electrically operated frunk latch (facelift model) is temperamental and is being an ar*e by not allowing me to pull the long fuse and add power...

I've got the passenger front wheel off, arch liner out and i'm struggling to find a manual release cable...  

Couple of Q's... 

Is the manual release cable a real thing on a 986 facelift?

Is it on the passenger side front?

What the heck am i looking for...???!

as always, i appreciate any help and advise.

Yes it does exist. And yes I have found mine on my 03 facelift. Mine is located on the drivers side. Underneath the headlamp. I only know this as it got snagged with the headlight when I was removing it. Hope this helps. 🤙🏻

23 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Yes it does exist. And yes I have found mine on my 03 facelift. Mine is located on the drivers side. Underneath the headlamp. I only know this as it got snagged with the headlight when I was removing it. Hope this helps. 🤙🏻

Just to back this up on my 03 facelift too, found it under the drivers side light too so presume by taking out the arch liner you should be able to get to it. 

It's a silver wire and looks like this.

post-4-1143080723_thumb.jpg

Edited by fizz
  • Like 2

Done.

Found behind drivers side headlight. Main pain was the car's parked nose-down on a sloping driveway.. Front drivers wheel close to a fence so an access nightmare.

You only truly realise how heavy a Boxster is when you have to move it uphill..

anyway.. at least the locking nut was in the car..

cheers.

the frunk release mechanism is temperamental.. it seems to like locking things away with no notice given.

To be honest i rarely use it for that reason.. Repair / replace is on the long list of niggles. This should give me the kick I need. 

4 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

cheers.

the frunk release mechanism is temperamental.. it seems to like locking things away with no notice given.

To be honest i rarely use it for that reason.. Repair / replace is on the long list of niggles. This should give me the kick I need. 

Sticky relay/electric release.  Some contact cleaner on electric bits and lubrication on mechanical bits could help.

1 hour ago, marcusjd said:

cheers.

Had the same problem, actuator was culprit. Bought a new one from OPC for £45 and not had a problem since. 👍

• 2 weeks later...