AC not working again.

BoxsterLL11

Having just fixed my roof problems, discovered yesterday that the ac ain't working, AGAIN.

Gas was replaced back in 2016 just before I bought the car.

In 2018, one of the condensers failed, so I replaced both condensers and fitted a new drier and got it gassed up again.

The car has hardly turned a wheel over the last 6 months. During winter usage I normally put the ac on for a few minutes to keep the compressor seals lubricated but this winter the car just hasn't been used.

So am wondering whether I have lost the gas again, this time through the dried out compressor seals.

I have a Mitsubishi FTO which is almost 30 years old which is still running on the same gas which was in the system when I bought the car 17 years ago.

In a 981? wow.

I think the 987/6 would end up getting pinpr*ck holes in the piping, which I thought was due to age/corrosion so I would be surprised on your newer car. The other culprit is people hitting them underbody with the jack, but those lose pressure quickly.

Might be worth having a test done, with dye?

When it was regassed 5 years ago it included 10ml of dye so am going to take it back to the company that gassed it then to test.

Have often checked the fans for siezing up as this was a problem before I bought the car, small stones getting jammed between the fan blades tip shroud and the and the fan surround but once again I just haven't had the car out enough to check these things.

Apparently if the fans don't operate it can boil off the gas but would have thought this would also affect the engine coolant temp too.

Regarding jacking up, I always jack up the car on the designated jack points by the sills, with a pad.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it has just lost the gas through the compressor seals through lack of use and just needs a recharge.

Took mine in for investigation for the same thing, was leaking from a perished O ring joining two pipes under the undertrays. 

New O ring and a regas required, nice to have something cheap for a change.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, BoxsterLL11 said:

Booked in for Friday for test & check.

Thought i would check the fans today behind the heat exchangers.

Offside fan jammed up with stones again, nearside had plenty of stones but was rotating freely.

Is that just a case of pulling the inner wheel arch covers to check?

On 5/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, BoxsterLL11 said:

Booked in for Friday for test & check.

Thought i would check the fans today behind the heat exchangers.

Offside fan jammed up with stones again, nearside had plenty of stones but was rotating freely.

If it’s got dye in the system then a UV torch (few quid off places like Amazon) could also help track down a leak. 

10 hours ago, ScotFox said:

Is that just a case of pulling the inner wheel arch covers to check?

Yep, torx 25 and/or 27 screws and a few 10mm plastic nuts.

Worth removing every so often as its surprising the amount of cr*p that collects behind the liners.

You only need to remove the front half of the liners but its easier to refit the front halves with the rear halves removed.

AC fixed.

No leaks.

It was 5 years since last charged with new gas, apparently new style gas loses its ability to function as it gets older and if left to idle and the ac system not operated.

There was some gas still in the system but the pressure was below the pressure switch setting so thats why it did not work.

Had a vacuum test, fill/extraction valve sealing checked and then regassed.

£100.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxsterLL11 said:

AC fixed.

No leaks.

It was 5 years since last charged with new gas, apparently new style gas loses its ability to function as it gets older and if left to idle and the ac system not operated.

There was some gas still in the system but the pressure was below the pressure switch setting so thats why it did not work.

Had a vacuum test, fill/extraction valve sealing checked and then regassed.

£100.

Cool (literally). Car is telling you to use it more. Glad it was an easy fix 👍