Road rash on 718.....

M12MTR

Howdy.

Looking at potential 718 and they all seem to suffer badly from excessive road rash / chipping.... on the lower of the rear quarter (in front of rear wheels) in particular and the usual chippings on the front arch of the rear bumper.

Is this normal? And how much rash is too much - or could it be a sign of it having been on a track?

Thanks all.

I'll try to upload a pic. Car is an 18 plate with 15k miles only.

I know but OP has a 987, was asking if it was normal on 987 as I believe or if in fact mine is special somehow. If normal on a 987 and not on a 718, one wonders why. Aero design or cost cutting…

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I know but OP has a 987, was asking if it was normal on 987 as I believe or if in fact mine is special somehow. If normal on a 987 and not on a 718, one wonders why. Aero design or cost cutting…

I sold my 987.2 last year.

I'm looking to buy a 718 GTS..... and no vinyl on rear flanks from factory.

The rash seems excessive for low miles. Perhaps the design on the sill? Plus the throw from the wide front tyres?

My question is is this too much or could it be from track use? Or normal on the 718?

8 hours ago, M12MTR said:

Howdy.

Looking at potential 718 and they all seem to suffer badly from excessive road rash / chipping.... on the lower of the rear quarter (in front of rear wheels) in particular and the usual chippings on the front arch of the rear bumper.

Is this normal? And how much rash is too much - or could it be a sign of it having been on a track?

Thanks all.

I'll try to upload a pic. Car is an 18 plate with 15k miles only.

It’s normal.

4 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

You normally get less chips from track use, most race tracks have a great surface.... unless you go off into the kitty litter of course ;)

True.

Airfield runs, cause a lot of chippings. That sort of thing.

But others say it's normal, more prevalent on the shape / design of the sill on the 718s allegedly.

If buying a car from a dealer you could always get it fixed as part of the pre-prep (ensuring of course they use a decent bodyshop).

The side skirts are plastic.

If you got it repainted it can be mitigated with PPF (check with your insurance company they will insure a vehicle with PPF and leave a few weeks after the paint has been done).

Personally I'd enjoy it, drive it and address it when it got bad enough.

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

If buying a car from a dealer you could always get it fixed as part of the pre-prep (ensuring of course they use a decent bodyshop).

The side skirts are plastic.

If you got it repainted it can be mitigated with PPF (check with your insurance company they will insure a vehicle with PPF and leave a few weeks after the paint has been done).

Personally I'd enjoy it, drive it and address it when it got bad enough.

Agree. I've considered all you state.

I am looking for clean, factory paint.

I just think the chippings, they sent other images to me also, are excessive: much much worse than my 21k miles 987.2 GR which was 11 years old when I sold it last year.

2 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

Agree. I've considered all you state.

I am looking for clean, factory paint.

I just think the chippings, they sent other images to me also, are excessive: much much worse than my 21k miles 987.2 GR which was 11 years old when I sold it last year.

There are plenty of 718's out there to choose from.

Just now, iborguk said:

If you indicate a bit more of the budget/spec you're looking for where you're based/willing to travel to you'll find plenty of help here.

Yes I did previously. 

Manual. Guards Red or GT Silver. May consider other colours.

S or GTS. With good spec. PSE.

981 or 718. Budget is limited to £46k.

I could go more for the right car. Hence my concern with this one ...... perfect but I thought too tatty around lower flanks - have more pics from the dealer - for me to spend £50k.

I've been actively looking for 12 months now.

Cheers.

As been mentioned, this should 100%  be done as part of the prep, especially if it's from an OPC. That and any other niggle on the car. 
It was resprayed on mine and I had ppf applied to the front bumper, bonnet and sides. Xpel ppf do templates specifically for these areas.  The plastic is pretty soft and the investment worth it in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Simo_UK said:

As been mentioned, this should 100%  be done as part of the prep, especially if it's from an OPC. That and any other niggle on the car. 
It was resprayed on mine and I had ppf applied to the front bumper, bonnet and sides. Xpel ppf do templates specifically for these areas.  The plastic is pretty soft and the investment worth it in my opinion. 

Yes it's at an OPC. 

I did think that too, having previously bought from an OPC, plus reading their speil about "body refinishing to Porsche standards".

Perhaps they're waiting for a buyer to request repaint here?

But there are other blemishes I'd not accept. So perhaps not for me.