Option Code X71

Gunscrossed

Went to see a car on Friday with a view to possibly buying it. Checking through the option code list tonight I see it has option code X71.

As far as I can tell X71 should be Alu-look instrument dials, the car currently doesn't have these.

I'm thinking this might mean the clocks have been changed, mileage seems to check out via the MOT history but I haven't done a HPI check yet.

Does anyone have option X71 that can post up a picture of what it should look like?

And what are the opinions on the possible dial change?

Thanks in advance. 

X71 decodes as  - 'Instrument dial painted/Aluminium Look finish' according to the PET file which is what the S effectively has as standard but X71 doesn't show on the bonnet sticker list on my 2000 986S.... The dials are white on the 97 2.5 listed but it also has a load of carbon on it, but no aluminium look/finish.  I'm confused.

pgJe2UC.jpg 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gunscrossed said:

My 'New' dials should be arriving this week, I'll need to get the mileage adjusted to match my car. There's a seller on eBay that offers this service but I was just wondering if there are any recommended places where I can send it before I use eBay? 

@Richard Hamilton wrote on this a while ago, I believe he indicated that milage can only be increased.  I'd do a thorough check on the eBay seller's credentials and feedback before sending anything to them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Richard Hamilton wrote on this a while ago, I believe he indicated that milage can only be increased.  I'd do a thorough check on the eBay seller's credentials and feedback before sending anything to them.

Not quite. IIRC, I wrote about new instrument clusters, which can only be wound forward with PIWIS, but once set cannot be changed. 

With the right software, you can adjust the mileage up or down. Illegal if you are misrepresentating the true mileage of the car, but perfectly legitimate in this case. Most of the "mileage correction" people are distinctly dodgy, by the nature of what they do. 

If you Google "mileage correction" you'll find dozens of them, and they will come to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 11:03 PM, ½cwt said:

X71 decodes as  - 'Instrument dial painted/Aluminium Look finish' according to the PET file which is what the S effectively has as standard but X71 doesn't show on the bonnet sticker list on my 2000 986S.... The dials are white on the 97 2.5 listed but it also has a load of carbon on it, but no aluminium look/finish.  I'm confused.

pgJe2UC.jpg 

the Anniversary dial surrounds are a different finish to the "S" ones.  One was more chrome look, the other more an "Ali" look - can't remember which way round it is - @EDC can confirm

All done today, bought the service from eBay but turned out the guy was local so he came to me.

fairly straightforward, I gained one mile as the odometer reading had to be entered in kilometres on the laptop and he rounded up. I now also have the trip computer function working again. Very pleased so far, took about half an hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunscrossed said:

All done today, bought the service from eBay but turned out the guy was local so he came to me.

fairly straightforward, I gained one mile as the odometer reading had to be entered in kilometres on the laptop and he rounded up. I now also have the trip computer function working again. Very pleased so far, took about half an hour.

Excellent.  A surprisingly good outcome!

• Like 1