2004 Boxster 3.2s

Bazzer

Can anyone tell me why my 986 only toots twice when the roof is up not down

i have only had the car 2 months but the old owner did say he had a new windscreen fitted he said by porsche

can anyone help

bazzer

note these can come from other things so don't assume it's linked to the roof. If it had an aftermarket stereo fitted and someone didn't connect the cage earth, that would also cause issues. Or the armrest box lid is not closing properly.

People here will tell you what could be the causes of single toot, double toot, to help you narrow it down.

Single toots are for open circuits like doors/bonnetboot open, internal storage box in the console not shut or the stereo cage wire disconnected. Doubles are usually system errors in the alarm system.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

note these can come from other things so don't assume it's linked to the roof. If it had an aftermarket stereo fitted and someone didn't connect the cage earth, that would also cause issues. Or the armrest box lid is not closing properly.

People here will tell you what could be the causes of single toot, double toot, to help you narrow it down.

Everything in the car is factory including the stereo

i just was asking

where do I start to find out why

if it toots twice dos that mean the car is not alarmed

the armbox lid don’t seem to lock on the key 

dos it lock when you arm the car like the fuel cap dos

🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I believe when the roof is down and you lock the car,  it doesn't activate the motion sensors for the alarm.

Do the windows drop when you release the roof catch to put it down?

Yes my window drop down a bit when I drop the roof also when I open the car door

but when I drop the roof the windows on both sides stay down a bit and don’t go up to there original start position

1 hour ago, Bazzer said:

Yes my window drop down a bit when I drop the roof also when I open the car door

but when I drop the roof the windows on both sides stay down a bit and don’t go up to there original start position

Mine have never gone back up.

Looking at that ^ video, it could well be your problem as the motion sensor is off when the roof is down.

Edited by Daboy3000

Not sure about the 2004 model, but my 2000 model requires the windows to be raised after completing the roof closure, it is not automatic.  The window drop for roof operation is significantly more than for opening/closing the doors.

10 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Nope, they do not go back up.

If they are closed when you close the roof, they will drop whilst its in motion and return back up but if you have them part or full open, the roof operation will not effect them at all.

Nope, mine don't go back up even if they were closed when the roof is opened or closed.

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Nope, mine don't go back up even if they were closed when the roof is opened or closed.

So if your roof is open and your windows are in the fully up position.  Do they not go down partly when you start to close the roof from the switch, then fully close the windows when you close the roof latch?

Edited by Sanky

9 minutes ago, Sanky said:

So if your roof is open and your windows are in the fully up position.  Do they not go down partly when you start to close the roof from the switch, then fully close the windows when you close the roof latch?

If the windows are up (roof open or closed) they drop about 100mm as they should, but they do not go up again when the roof operation is finished, I have to use the window switches.  Looks like a defect to try to track down, but I've lived with it for nearly 5 years now so no rush  😴

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If the windows are up (roof open or closed) they drop about 100mm as they should, but they do not go up again when the roof operation is finished, I have to use the window switches.  Looks like a defect to try to track down, but I've lived with it for nearly 5 years now so no rush  😴

Its ok, the windows on your 987.2 work correctly :)

43 minutes ago, iborguk said:

A faulty roof latch seems to be responsible for most window position/triggering issues re the roof.

Was it recently that someone reported re-flowing the solder track to fix this? or was that something else?

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Was it recently that someone reported re-flowing the solder track to fix this? or was that something else?

IIRC that was re a window drop but this kind of behaviour is normally on the ballpark of the same issue , a faulty roof latch micro switch. Reflow does seem to be a common fix , the solder joints dry out/crack with age.

36 minutes ago, iborguk said:

@Bazzer as per @Bike Loon expected behaviour is the windows should raise when putting the roof up.

A faulty roof latch seems to be responsible for most window position/triggering issues re the roof.

I might, at the risk of causing more issues, start with a poke around and then some contact cleaner not sure about my soldering skills.  I have changed the car to a 2001 onwards interior light and I can't recall whether I changed the whole latch/alarm sensor assembly or just switched the light unit as I got a complete latch/sensor/light unit with a section of loom from Steve Strange.  Either way I should have a spare switch if it turns out to be the fault.  That said if the windows don't rise after the roof goes down it would seem to unlikely to be the latch microswitch.

14 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Its ok, the windows on your 987.2 work correctly :)

Good to hear, hope it stays that way 😉

Apologies to OP @Bazzer for hijacking his posting.

• Like 1

Hi guys thank you for all your replies 

i think I will start at the roof switch and go from there

as I said it has had a new windscreen fitted by the previous owner

by Porsche 

so it could be a good start place