PPF headlights yes or no

JurassicBGTS

I have PPF and cermaic on top of that.

It's been on there 5 1/2 years with no issues.  And the lights take absolute and a huge beating from road debris.

Should I need to replace the film, I am fully aware it may take the clear "UV protection" coat off at the same time.  However a quick machine and new PPF and no-one would be the wiser.At £2000 a piece its worth trying to protect them,.

• Like 1

I am also interested in this as my car will be getting PPF when it arrives.

I have read a couple of things that was making me consider excluding the headlights.

1 I understand that Expel themselves do not warrant application on headlights

2 I have seen a photo of an owners manual that also says not to do it, which in the event of any headlight issues would give Porsche an easy out on a warranty claim.

@JurassicBGTS I can’t find anything with an on-line type manual. Have you got one to check.  It reads something like below:

Headlights

NOTICE

Abrasion and excessive temperatures can damage the headlights.

• Do not affix any coverings (e.g. stone guards or films) in the area of the headlights.

Information

The headlights can mist up due to temperature and humidity. This misting will disappear after …

Just found the same wording in a 2023 911 992 manual. 

Edited by daviddurham

I've had one of my PDLS headlights replaced under warranty at Reading - it had Expel film fitted when the motor gave up.

They did quote me £80 to replace the film too !

Before they fitted the film the installer did ask if I was aware removal would more than likely not be a perfect job.

22 hours ago, daviddurham said:

I am also interested in this as my car will be getting PPF when it arrives.

I have read a couple of things that was making me consider excluding the headlights.

1 I understand that Expel themselves do not warrant application on headlights

2 I have seen a photo of an owners manual that also says not to do it, which in the event of any headlight issues would give Porsche an easy out on a warranty claim.

@JurassicBGTS I can’t find anything with an on-line type manual. Have you got one to check.  It reads something like below:

Headlights

NOTICE

Abrasion and excessive temperatures can damage the headlights.

• Do not affix any coverings (e.g. stone guards or films) in the area of the headlights.

Information

The headlights can mist up due to temperature and humidity. This misting will disappear after …

Just found the same wording in a 2023 911 992 manual. 

I will have a look on Porsche "Good to know"👍

On 7/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, Patt said:

I have PPF and cermaic on top of that.

It's been on there 5 1/2 years with no issues.  And the lights take absolute and a huge beating from road debris.

Should I need to replace the film, I am fully aware it may take the clear "UV protection" coat off at the same time.  However a quick machine and new PPF and no-one would be the wiser.At £2000 a piece its worth trying to protect them,.

If your buying new that logic is particularly difficult to fault Patt 👍 

My fiend has a PPF business and does the work for 2 local OPC's, he PPF's headlights without any problems. I wish mine had been done from new as they have a few marks on now, my new windscreen is being PPF'd wednesday.

I met with the installer today at a "Cars and Coffee" event he sponsors.

His comments and advice is, that although the PPF pre-cut kit comes with headlight coverings they are now advised not to cover the headlights on a Porsche. It is the only car manufacturer that has this advisory from the film manufacturer. Also the Porsche manual does state not to PPF.

He has PPFd some and not PPFd some! The issue is if they have a problem with installation it will remove the Porsche coating. He is happy to do it, but his personal advice is not to PPF them.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 10:10 AM, Tony Daniel said:

My fiend has a PPF business and does the work for 2 local OPC's, he PPF's headlights without any problems. I wish mine had been done from new as they have a few marks on now, my new windscreen is being PPF'd wednesday.

Maybe the 981 and 718 have different coatings on the headlights, or the newer Porsches in general have?

My 718 lights certainly look to be darker than my old 981 or my 2018 Macan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yje headlights on my 981 Cayman are starting to craze at the top of the headlights where the black border is. Wonder if I can polish that area and  apply clearcoat without it showing? I accept that PPF would still require at least partial correction of the surface anyway, so similar concern of the 'join' being visible.

What causes the crazing?  Speaking to a dealer a couple of weeks ago he was trying to tell me that “they are te years old, they’ve all got it”.  I pointed out that my 2013 car didn’t.  And the 2014 car I’ve replaced it with also doesn’t show any signs.

Are they less prone when garaged? The dealer reckoned not.

10 minutes ago, moospeed said:

What causes the crazing?  Speaking to a dealer a couple of weeks ago he was trying to tell me that “they are te years old, they’ve all got it”.  I pointed out that my 2013 car didn’t.  And the 2014 car I’ve replaced it with also doesn’t show any signs.

Are they less prone when garaged? The dealer reckoned not.

UV/heat , I think personally it’s less prone on garaged cars.

• Thanks 1