Has anyone rented out their 986 on car share sites? Good/bad experiences

CoolA

2 hours ago, CoolA said:

Before buying I’m wondering if this is a possibility to offset some of the ownership costs? 

I rented a 987 out before I purchased a Boxster. The guy did a couple of VW campers too. Last time I checked out his site the Boxster had gone. He was on this site as a member too. Can't remember his name but he was in SE London, Blackheath way. Personally I think it would bring more angst and expenses than just running the car.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. It would be good to speak to someone who has tried hiring out an old boxster. My thought was to do a minimal amount of rental just enough to cover the annual service etc. That said this will be my first Porsche and I fear the emotional attachment might persuade me not to. My thinking now is to lower my budget and plan to cover all costs myself. Now considering a 2.5 or 2.7  for high revs, low speed open top fun. I drove a 981 cayman 2.7 the other day to see if jumping in higher up the ladder would suit and just found it a bit boring. Too grown up and together, didn’t feel that different (well a bit) to my 330d touring in terms of speed and sound not that great either, was hoping for more flat six engine noise. 

Personally I think the risk of hiring it out just to cover the cost of a £200-500 annual service is too great. If you are going to do it you want to get more money and I would be aiming for at least the difference in salvage cost to full market value so probably something in the £3k plus range. 

36 minutes ago, edc said:

Personally I think the risk of hiring it out just to cover the cost of a £200-500 annual service is too great.

I would also say that if £500 annual cost sounds a lot to you, don’t buy a 23 year old Porsche. Seriously. As the first time something goes wrong, and it will, your experience will be ruined. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I would also say that if £500 annual cost sounds a lot to you, don’t buy a 23 year old Porsche. Seriously. As the first time something goes wrong, and it will, your experience will be ruined. 

I agree. There is no way I would rent out my Boxster - I am even reluctant to let my wife drive it. Mine cost me a fair bit this year already just to get through the MOT and I'm looking to spend another £200 - £300 to replace coil packs, spark plugs, spark plug tubes and other bits and pieces. And mine is by no means a bad one. Lots of bits on these cars are old and the plastics are getting brittle. I budget around £1,000 per year for repairs, MOT etc. If I use all of it then fine, if I don't I just roll it over to the next year and add it to the £1,000 for that year. Sooner or later that money will get used. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. If it costs more than £1,000 per year then it costs more. Eventually I hope to have a car that is repaired enough so that it doesn't cost me that much - but then I'll probably spend it on petrol :)

Easier to rent out a brand new car and charge a premium - that's why car rental companies make money. They calculate for the vehicle's depreciation and sell it on as soon as they have made their money

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update to this dying thread. I ended up buying a 996 coupe. 1998 c2 with m030, lsd and hardback seats. Went a bit deeper in the pocket but got what I always wanted… and no, I won’t be renting it out! Thanks a lot for the replies it helped focus my mind. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CoolA said:

Update to this dying thread. I ended up buying a 996 coupe. 1998 c2 with m030, lsd and hardback seats. Went a bit deeper in the pocket but got what I always wanted… and no, I won’t be renting it out! Thanks a lot for the replies it helped focus my mind. 

Enjoy :) I keep thinking I should get a 996 too. Mostly whenever I get into the Boxster and wish I had just one more inch of room behind my back. Then, I drive it and realise that it's the perfect car for me. I have a hardtop on mine for the winter and drive it all year round. Do I want a 911? Yes, of course I do. Would I give up the 986 to get it? Nope. 

My ideal scenario is when my 147 eventually dies I will get a 996 and keep both the 986 and 996 :)

Edited by RedBarediver

• 2 weeks later...

It’s cost me £1800 already for a service, break discs and pads all round + lines and a replacement for a wobbly coffin arm. It’ll need a suspension refresh soon too 🤦‍♂️

Be careful what you (me) wish for… maybe a good 986 was the better option 

p.s. the cost was driven up by the hours of labour to get the old disks off the hubs. 

6 hours ago, CoolA said:

It’s cost me £1800 already for a service, break discs and pads all round + lines and a replacement for a wobbly coffin arm. It’ll need a suspension refresh soon too 🤦‍♂️

Be careful what you (me) wish for… maybe a good 986 was the better option 

p.s. the cost was driven up by the hours of labour to get the old disks off the hubs. 

The general advice to 986 buyers on this forum is to allow £1.5 to £2k to do additional fixes over the first 2 years above normal running costs.  I can bear personal witness to this.  Unless it is very low mileage and stored in cotton wool most 986s will need, or at least benefit from, a suspension refresh after 19+ years of service.  You could have paid £2 or £3k more for a car and could till be spending similar money.  You can't run a 20 year old sports car on the same annual budget as for a new 2 year 20k service interval car.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wasz said:

There is an ancient saying around these parts:

"Hire cars make the best rally cars."

On 9/15/2023 at 12:46 AM, CoolA said:

Sounds like the one he bought already made a good rally car…

• Haha 1