So I found someone who could mod my exhaust

Ninesomething

I have the cheapskate eBay exhaust and I think it would sound better with a cross pipe between the two sides. I've asked various people if they could do it but no-one was bothered. Anyway I found a good guy in Northampton but because of the lack of space it's too complicated to be economically possible. 

Oh well - it's not that it's terrible it just could be a little better. Shrug.

22 hours ago, brillomaster said:

if you ever want to revert back to standard, i'm interested in a cheap ebay exhaust for a 987 😅

the cheap ebay exhaust was the best mod i made to my 986, so looking for more of the same!

Interested to know why this was the best mod? Sound, performance, anything else?

Personally I like the sound of the standard exhaust in so far that it is quiet when cruising or just passing through town and one of the best sounds when it comes alive at higher revs, creating a banshee like howl!

just the sound with the roof down was awesome, proper crescendo as the revs built... and blipping the throttle for a downshift made me giggle every time. and given that i only paid £120 for it second hand, then sold it on for £80 when i was done with it, it was definitely the best bang for buck upgrade i did. it did seem to rev up more freely with the exhaust on as well, though that may have been a side effect of having to keep the revs up all the time means you're in the power straight away when you put your foot down.

my boxster is only a weekend/track car, so when i drive it i want it to be an experience!

It's way lighter than the stock item, I'm sure the engine revs better, it's not really too loud, it doesn't drone,  it's s/s so it won't rust and it passes the MOT. I paid less than £200 for it and it fitted perfectly. Almost. Problem is it doesn't sound like a Porsche which I think is due to the fact that the two sides aren't connected like the stock item. My previous car had the OEM system with the bypass mod and it sounded great - kind of musical and crackly but just really nice. In comparison this one is a bit flat sounding - more like a straight 6. Anyhow the guy said he could do it but the only way from one side to the other was complicated and would take a lot of time - poss up to 5 hours - and he still couldn't promise that it would sound like I wanted so I passed. Like I say - it's not terrible I'm just a fussy bastard.

I notice that on eBay the newer version from the same maker - they call them circuitwerks or beluga in the US - has a crossover pipe like the OEM part but they don't seem to be available over here yet. If they turned up here for reasonable money I might go for it.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:40 PM, brillomaster said:

if you ever want to revert back to standard, i'm interested in a cheap ebay exhaust for a 987 😅

the cheap ebay exhaust was the best mod i made to my 986, so looking for more of the same!

I still have the stock one but it's a bunch of holes held together by rust so probably not....