987 convertible leak

Jow

hey guys,

as the title says, I have a leak on the seal above the drivers door. i has resolved it (or so i thought) by glueing some felt onto the seal. and also inserting a plastic pipe inside the seal to try and push it out. just noticed it dripping again. 

any other ideas, the seals seem to be insanely priced???

cheers

craig 

Oooo thanks for the info, I gave adjusting a go but still leaks with the watering can. 

I think it’s the seal on the section at the front end of the roof, not the r shaped one but the one that joins the b pillar. looking online and you’ve got to change the seal which runs along the front and both sides?? About £300 🤯 any cheaper options?? Or can you get it in sections? 

Oooo thanks for the info, I gave adjusting a go but still leaks with the watering can. 

I think it’s the seal on the section at the front end of the roof, not the r shaped one but the one that joins the b pillar. looking online and you’ve got to change the seal which runs along the front and both sides?? About £300 🤯 any cheaper options?? Or can you get it in sections? 

I think I need this one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164700052094?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BEgoUUvvS6i&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=JeoW8ojuTY-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you go with that one make sure it is shipped duty paid from Germany, or find a UK sourced once from one of Steve Strange (Douglas Valley Breakers), Status Porsche, 9 Apart, Porsche Heaven.  If don't have one listed on eBay contact them as they may be able to find one on a car they are stripping.

Hard to see where it's leaking from with the amount of water there, can see it's dripped inside of the driver's window.

First step I'd suggest trying to zero in on the leaking point using smaller amounts of water (maybe try pouring small amounts from a bottle/ mug etc ?)

What is the condition of this seal on the driver's side with the roof down ?

https://www.design911.co.uk/p/porsche-boxster-convertible-top-front-gasket-u-shape-98756132702/

Cleaning the seals and applying plfege might help put a little more flexibility back into them, if that's an issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-7182-Rubber-Care-75-ml/dp/B00CSYM1K8/ref=asc_df_B00CSYM1K8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310744208542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14669896890247578613&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006528&hvtargid=pla-617896808087&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

If a seal is misshapen then removing and submerging in hot water it may be possible to reshape it to a degree, although of course it could shrink, YMMV.

811-10_987_2005-08_No1.gif

Edited by iborguk

59 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Isn’t the windscreen part meant to be inside the roof part? Is it possible to glue the end back to the car? 

@Mattman42 is correct I think. in your first picture it looks like the curving piece of the roof trim (side piece) is too far towards the front of the car. it should be tucked under the piece on the right and it is also distorting the seal across the front of the roof (where it meets the top of the windscreen) as that should be a continuous straight line.

27 minutes ago, BBB said:

@Mattman42 is correct I think. in your first picture it looks like the curving piece of the roof trim (side piece) is too far towards the front of the car. it should be tucked under the piece on the right and it is also distorting the seal across the front of the roof (where it meets the top of the windscreen) as that should be a continuous straight line.

Ah yes, can see the distortion on the windscreen line on that front seal towards the driver's side now I've zoomed in.

Would be interesting to see what that aluminium side trim position looks like on the passenger side or from another car....not the best pic but looks similar on my old 987.2 ? 

IMG_3695

Edited by iborguk

I have seen this many times before 

remove the metal strip from the middle of the roof .8 

remove the screw 7 (2x1)and 10 (2x3)

clean seal with ipa

use Shell tixophalte wet seal & fix on the complete seal

use lots off kit in the corners where screw 7 is there is the main problem of the leak.

good luck

Eric V.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric V. said:

Ps.

do not forget seal 11.

the above is a repair for if you have a leak / wet seal for the first 10 cm ( in the pic where your hand is pointing)

Eric V.

thanks Eric, i'll give it a go, I've got some sealant (couldn't get the shell stuff:( ) 

do you have any tips for getting the seal off? any pictures or links? 

do you seal on the top side or on the bottom or both??

thanks!!!