Wheel centre replacement.

Vince Taylor

2 hours ago, Vince Taylor said:

Cheers BBB, Also where is locking wheel nut socket kept. ? 

If it’s not in the glove box or arm rest box, it should be in the tool kit in the front. 

But it’s best to keep it in cabin instead of the toolkit in case the battery dies and you cant access the front. 

Edited by Gutley

Many have removed the lockers as too much hassle, and replaced them with normal nuts. Few people steal wheels any more, they are overcome within a minute if you know how, and they cause great grief with the key being kept in the front.

40 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Many have removed the lockers as too much hassle, and replaced them with normal nuts. Few people steal wheels any more, they are overcome within a minute if you know how, and they cause great grief with the key being kept in the front.

My locking nut key thing started failing on the 981 shortly after I got it.  So yes I have removed from all my cars.

Vaguely 6-800 with tyres, condition dependent IIRC. I don't think it's the price, might be the demand, eg the size(s) - there aren't that many cars they fit, and those they do are likely to have owners who don't resort to back of lorry purchases.  Not sure if PCD is rare or VAG standard but the fact they are different width front and rear means they aren't of interest to the average A3 TDI driver.  Could also be that alloy wheels used to be a status symbol, now they're on every shopper so no-one needs to change them.

2p...

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Vaguely 6-800 with tyres, condition dependent IIRC. I don't think it's the price, might be the demand, eg the size(s) - there aren't that many cars they fit, and those they do are likely to have owners who don't resort to back of lorry purchases.  Not sure if PCD is rare or VAG standard but the fact they are different width front and rear means they aren't of interest to the average A3 TDI driver.  Could also be that alloy wheels used to be a status symbol, now they're on every shopper so no-one needs to change them.

2p...

I think you covered most of the draw backs I was thinking of!  Only missing one - the shear pain in the ar*e of doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, P27GLN said:

Just got a set delivered from Design911, gloss black and gold, aftermarket product £14.45 each ex vat

Jesus - did they wear a mask when they robbed you???

design911 always seem to be the most expensive supplier - most of the time even the OPC are cheaper

On 11/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, Mattman42 said:

Jesus - did they wear a mask when they robbed you???

design911 always seem to be the most expensive supplier - most of the time even the OPC are cheaper

And to make matters worse I’ve decided not to change my rims to high gloss black and therefore leave as is per factory spec as intended

Edited by P27GLN

@P27GLN next time you want wheel centres message @marts500 on here, or go to Aliexpress.  You will get a whole set for little more than you paid each...

re D911, they are more competitive on pricing for most of their non-Porsche parts, but for genuine parts, OPCs will pretty much always beat them and everywhere else, however convenience of getting parts delivered can be worth a premium sometimes.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:28 AM, ½cwt said:

@P27GLN next time you want wheel centres message @marts500 on here, or go to Aliexpress.  You will get a whole set for little more than you paid each...

re D911, they are more competitive on pricing for most of their non-Porsche parts, but for genuine parts, OPCs will pretty much always beat them and everywhere else, however convenience of getting parts delivered can be worth a premium sometimes.

Thank you

Edited by P27GLN

Decided I’m not going for high gloss black rims, and although the more modern 718 Boxsters for example maybe suit this wheel colour I feel it’s because the rim design compliments the overall design shape of these more modern cars, where on my 08 Artic silver 987 it was designed to suit silverish rims so that’s how they will stay in my opinion

To summarise and changing to black would be like an old banger that lost a wheel trim that just exposes the typical black steel wheel that makes it look odd as hell!

so if anyone wants a free of charge set of gloss black and gold centre crests let me know, it’s Christmas!