Decided to sell.......

12 minutes ago, Boxer boy said:

4 WD , AWD , 4 s , “ Quattro “ ruins the handling ,steering  involvement .You end up a passenger beholding to electrotwackery nannies   .

How old are you btw ? If you don’t mind me asking .

.... not that it makes much difference but I'm 52 sir...

57 minutes ago, fewtrees said:

Shame, I’ve come to the conclusion that mid-engined works best for me so options are limited.

Is this an itch to scratch or you’ve done enough time with the 987?

...Not particularly an itch as 3 years is about average when it comes to car rotation. Weird as she's now 13 years old and I'm only the second owner.

Saying thst I've still not made up my mind what to replace her with....well not 100% anyway.

1 hour ago, Boxer boy said:

4 WD , AWD , 4 s , “ Quattro “ ruins the handling ,steering  involvement .You end up a passenger beholding to electrotwackery nannies   .

I can't disagree more... my imprezas some years ago were some of the best cars I've ever driven!!!

3 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

I can't disagree more... my imprezas some years ago were some of the best cars I've ever driven!!!

+1 on this.  All analogue, except for ABS should you need it, and with equal length front drive shafts so less steering interference than you might expect.  An average driver can access more of the performance envelope of an Impreza than even a half decent driver can of a Boxster.

15 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Don't know that Quattro "ruins the handling". The S3's ability to grip and steer is incredible, (even with the "inferior" Haldex system) no doubt it does a lot of the thinking and certainly flatters my actual driving ability and 58 year-old reactions. The electric steering provides noticably less feedback that my 987, but it certainly feels sharper and turns in better than most euroboxes.

If I want to get from A-B quickly and overtake safely in the real world, 50% more power and 70% more torque puts my S3 in a different league to my 2007 2.7 Boxster.

If I want an enjoyable drive, listen to the engine howl and experience a bit of twisty road old fashioned fun then I take the Boxster.

Apples and Oranges.

17 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Those AWD LeMans Hypercars must be a dog to drive.

All modern cars are full of electrowackery, even more so once the battery brigade become the only cars you can buy

One of the chaps local to me on here went from a 986 to a S3 and sold it after a few months saying it was too quick for the public roads and that you can put your foot down for more than a few seconds before you're doing silly speeds. 

Horses for courses i suppose. I drove the A45S on track couple weeks back and was amazed by the performance, grip in the wet and power delivery. I don't think you can beat the new breed of AWD hot hatches for point and shoot and although its not my personal preference (having owned a Celica GT4 in the past running 280bhp) i found them less rewarding than a mid rear setup that requires more concentration to drive them quick. I like to be able to slide the back end out when the conditions allow. :) 

5 hours ago, CMA said:

All modern cars are full of electrowackery, even more so once the battery brigade become the only cars you can buy

Given by the rules they don't get any front axle driver unit you are over 150km/h

On 9/18/2023 at 11:43 AM, CMA said:

I bet they are a dog to drive, just like an F1 is.. requiring a professional racing driver to drive them 😉

On 9/18/2023 at 12:04 PM, fizz said:

I like to be able to slide the back end out when the conditions allow. :) 

You should have joined us up in Scotland. I remember one sharp bend where all three of us lost the back end, although, @benjohnstone did the most dramatic excursion with his Exige. I was still laughing when my back end stepped out😬

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

You should have joined us up in Scotland. I remember one sharp bend where all three of us lost the back end, although, @benjohnstone did the most dramatic excursion with his Exige. I was still laughing when my back end stepped out😬

😆😆😆

I was still laughing up the road, 

First hairpin pitiful, must try harder on the 2nd, nearly ended up in a Bush 🤣

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, benjohnstone said:

😆😆😆

I was still laughing up the road, 

First hairpin pitiful, must try harder on the 2nd, nearly ended up in a Bush 🤣

You're local... We should arrange to find some bushes together soon! ;) 

• Confused 1