Elusive 987 S

Porschevirgin1968

Well, I've been searching for a 987 S for a few months without much success so far, do I maybe need to pull back for first experience into a Boxster and get a well cared for 986 S? I have had my eye on one on AT for a month or so, it's a 2001 and had 1000's spent on it including IMS upgrade. Might even belong to someone on here. 

• Like 1

What do you think about this Matt? If the 987 S does not materialise. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307219913458?sort=most-recent&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=986 S&include-delivery-option=on&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&page=4&postcode=CA6 4EU&price-to=9000&year-to=2023&fromsra

Had my eye on this for some time, could get it knocked down its been a while if its still for sale. 

Dave 

39 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

What do you think about this Matt? If the 987 S does not materialise. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307219913458?sort=most-recent&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=986 S&include-delivery-option=on&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&page=4&postcode=CA6 4EU&price-to=9000&year-to=2023&fromsra

Had my eye on this for some time, could get it knocked down its been a while if its still for sale. 

Dave 

Looks tidy with all the jobs done - worth a look if it’s close by. Be good to get the reg number so you can check the MOT etc

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Looks tidy with all the jobs done - worth a look if it’s close by. Be good to get the reg number so you can check the MOT etc

I did speak the guy and he gave me the reg, will see if I still have the details. It's been up for sale for a while now on Auto. I've asked him again for the details. No harm asking. 

Dave 

With that list of work done and from the looks of it it has been well looked after and bought up to a good standard, that is a 986S that is worth that money as there will be little if any of the usual 'allow £1.5 to £2k in the first two years' left to spend on it.

Have you considered a 2.9 987.2 6spd manual.... full history, all the jobs done but high mileage..?

No IMS issues ( that are overhyped on the internet  ) cheaper insurance and just as powerful as a 986S.

I know one that will be for sale after her mot on Oct 7th.

41 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

Have you considered a 2.9 987.2 6spd manual.... full history, all the jobs done but high mileage..?

No IMS issues ( that are overhyped on the internet  ) cheaper insurance and just as powerful as a 986S.

I know one that will be for sale after her mot on Oct 7th.

Anyone you know 🤔 😏

8 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

No IMS at all in the 2.9....  but yes, way over hyped on the earlier 986/987 engiens too.

59 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Stick the the number out there then ;)

,..all in good time, I won't be advertising anything until she's been mot'd on the 7th October and been given a clean bill of health as I know she will.

On 9/29/2023 at 6:34 PM, JonSta said:

There are 111 987S on autotrader right now. Are you looking for something specific?

18 within budget and around 14 of those 18 are over 150 miles away, 3 are the 3.4 and higher tax bracket, doesn't leave a lot. The spec I'm looking for or hoping to find most cars are 300 miles away. Living in Cumbria does have it's drawbacks, lol. 

3 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

18 within budget and around 14 of those 18 are over 150 miles away, 3 are the 3.4 and higher tax bracket, doesn't leave a lot. The spec I'm looking for or hoping to find most cars are 300 miles away. Living in Cumbria does have it's drawbacks, lol. 

I bought my Cayman from a guy in morecambe-I live 30 miles north of London.if it’s the right car it’s the right car.only a day out your life to travel to get one even if it’s 200 odd miles away

6 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

I bought my Cayman from a guy in morecambe-I live 30 miles north of London.if it’s the right car it’s the right car.only a day out your life to travel to get one even if it’s 200 odd miles away

Agreed, however when you get there and faults appear on the car even after a PPI that makes the car unroadworthy to drive 200 miles back home, it soon starts to frustrate you. I guess you purchased without seeing the car in person or test driving  first by the sounds of it. 

5 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Agreed, however when you get there and faults appear on the car even after a PPI that makes the car unroadworthy to drive 200 miles back home, it soon starts to frustrate you. I guess you purchased without seeing the car in person or test driving  first by the sounds of it. 

What makes you say that?

I went to view the car after speaking to the owner at length several times

took it for a long test drive and looked the car and it’s service history over ,was satisfied it was a good un and bought it and drove it home(got the train there)

18 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

What makes you say that?

took it for a long test drive and looked the car and it’s service history over ,was satisfied it was a good un and bought it and drove it home(got the train there)

Just when you said you for the train that's all. I've actually down 600 miles In one day and viewed 3 cars third car was cracking car. Found huge discrepancy in MOT mileages. Which may have caused issues further down the line if I sold car on.  I know I'm taking a punt sooner or later with any car, I've messaged a guy who is advertising a car looks fantastic advert says fsh, contacted him. Oh but I've no service book and only some paperwork, lol. He has had the car 3 months. I must be looking at wrong adverts obviously. Or need to up my budget or downgrade what I'm looking for to a 987 not at S or a 986S. 

The search continues. 

23 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

What makes you say that?

Sounds very very familiar and a carbon copy of my experience.... it's very much down to due diligence with a fair amount of luck in finding the right car...I've more often than not travelled on a one way train ticket to purchase a good motor.

3 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

Sounds very very familiar and a carbon copy of my experience.... it's very much down to due diligence with a fair amount of luck in finding the right car...I've more often than not travelled on a one way train ticket to purchase a good motor.

I'm in no hurry, just frustrating. 

• 2 weeks later...

mine could be for sale for the right price

have a pile of parts already bought to be fitted, just dont have the time, only done 30 miles since the respray, so its pretty immaculate. high spec, low tax, 67k miles. has been rear ended and fixed though. Ive just bought another car, so could do with selling this really. Passed its last MOT not long ago with some advisories.