Misfire

2bmws

Hi car misfiring quite badly started it up after work and was misfiring, I'm thinking it's a coil pack wondering if there's a quicker way to diagnose which cylinder is playing up other than disconnecting each one to see which one it is please, if i plug it in will it show on the diagnostic but it hasn't put the engine management light on

Thanks

You can get a full set of coil packs for about £95 from Autodoc (Beru ZS178 is the up issued part).  A code reader should tell you which bank at least if not cylinder.  Could however be a number of things from an induction air leak to MAF to O2 sensor to cam position sensor to variocam solenoid as well as coil pack(s).

Edited by ½cwt

Generally get a generic multiple miss fire error, the fact it has not triggered the CEL I would initially go for the MAF unplug and see what happens. Coil packs will generally be obvious as in cracked/ split

I had a misfire, which was showing up on OBD as 02 sensor. This was replaced then the misfire on no4 cyl showed up. New coil pack cured it. I did all 6 and the plugs as I have no record of when they were last done and it was on the “to do” list anyway

8 hours ago, 2bmws said:

Plugged car into obd and not showing any codes for which cylinder is misfiring is this common when a coil pack is down

Depends on the diagnostic kit being used but you may also be able to read the live values re misfires which will show the cylinder(s) with the issues, if it's a faulty coil/plug.

Edited by iborguk

Thanks for the replies fellas, I've tried to read the live data but a bit out of my league, when it read the codes nothing come up, I've had the car a year now, the previous owner said it has had new plugs and coil packs when it was serviced, but no record of this in the history. I've ordered new coils and plugs so fingers crossed it fixes which ever one isn't firing 

When I had this problem it started with misfiring, then I started to lose power when trying to accelerate from a roundabout or similar, then the check engine light came on.

In my case it was the MAF, but it could equally be something else. We took the MAF out to test without it, which did confirm the issue.

Changed plugs today and coil packs,turns out it was bank 1 number 3 suppose to have had new coils and plugs before I bought it, maybe 10 years ago. Did notice a bit of oil in one or 2 of the spark plug holes is this normal is it cam covers gaskets

Thanks