Scabbiest 987

Escy

@Escy I know rust is a sign of living near the sea, that looks like it has been in the sea!

Hope it was seriously cheap.  And given a recent post on driveshafts rusting, check the outer ends of yours and get them cleaned up ad treated quick!

Not cheap enough!

It does look like it's been in the sea. A local guy bought it with the intention of doing a track car build with a VAG 1.8t swap. He wisely changed his mind as it's a total POS, not a redeeming quality about it. I'm stripping it for parts, everything I take off seems to be damaged. I thought I'd share some photos just so people can see how bad they can get. You'd never make a decent car out of this. I've had a few and mileage really seems to make a difference (based on the theory that lower mileage see's less Winter use)

The only thing making it from this to mine are the undertrays. 

Edited by Escy

Wow - that must be the worst i've seen.

I'm guessing there is still quite a bit of value in the car, its great you have the space to strip it all down - I've often thought about it, but lacking space i could hide the remains in while i did it :(

1 hour ago, Escy said:

Not cheap enough!

It does look like it's been in the sea. A local guy bought it with the intention of doing a track car build with a VAG 1.8t swap. He wisely changed his mind as it's a total POS, not a redeeming quality about it. I'm stripping it for parts, everything I take off seems to be damaged. I thought I'd share some photos just so people can see how bad they can get. You'd never make a decent car out of this. I've had a few and mileage really seems to make a difference (based on the theory that lower mileage see's less Winter use)

The only thing making it from this to mine are the undertrays. 

Yes, mine was a daily driver for most of its life and had 140k on it when I bought it. It had been well looked after, but I can see that rust will finish it off in the next few years when I’ll break it for parts.

48 minutes ago, ricof said:

The engine alone could fetch anywhere between £2k and £5k according to ebay! That could (should?) cover the cost of the car?!

And the gearbox too should fetch a few hundred.

4 hours ago, wasz said:

It's not that bad, you should see my mates 964 before he started welding it up.

Is there any holes in structural bits sills, subframe mounts?

There's nothing structural wrong with it, it's not like an MX5 or S2000. It's all superficial. Just most owners wouldn't allow it to get into this state.

11 hours ago, Escy said:

There's nothing structural wrong with it, it's not like an MX5 or S2000. It's all superficial. Just most owners wouldn't allow it to get into this state.

Would it not be worth repairing then? yes its scabby, but nothing a decent body shop couldn't sort - would it not be worth more as a mot's whole car?

All depends what you paid for it etc - lots of different factors

On 10/16/2023 at 11:36 PM, Escy said:

I thought I'd share some pictures of a 54 plate Boxster 987 I bought. It's done 150k and is the roughest I've ever seen. It looks reasonable from a distance but it's a total mess. 

53263818778_44dcf2c312_b.jpg

53263993210_89e0f20f50_b.jpg

53263805418_42740cdebe_b.jpg

53262636357_541502a0ec_b.jpg

53263515861_d4cd4475dc_b.jpg

I wonder what the bolts on the exhaust manifold header look like

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 12:37 AM, P27GLN said:

I wonder what the bolts on the exhaust manifold header look like

They looked bad, I needed to hammer a socket onto each one but everyone came out fine which was unexpected. 

It's a typical 20 year old car with 150k on the clock. It's been used, probably abused and enjoyed. Someone has had their money's worth out of that car.

Nothing special about old Porches to stop them deteriorating and wearing out. Unless of course you park them in a heated garage, don't drive them and spend £3k a year on maintenance to keep them "properly". If this had all been done, the car would only have been worth an extra £5k today if you were lucky. 

But that's just my man maths on car ownership.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...