Anyone gone from 18” wheels to 17”?

kdh

2004 Boxster S with 18” Carrera 5 spoke wheels and new pilot sport tyres.

Ride is not bad but a bit clanky over uneven surfaces and a fair bit of squeakage in the cabin.

Handling on smooth roads is lovely, volume on A roads quite loud.

Buying/changing wheels is a painful process.  

if you’ve done the change from 18’s to 17’s I’d be delighted to hear your findings.

many thanks!

I've not done the change myself but have driven both back to back. If you are more pottering and more about the daily or around town ride comfort then this is the way forward. 

I have both 17 and 18 rims.  I keep the 18s on mostly but if we are going off on a touring trip I'll fit the 17s as they are a slightly more complaint ride.  My 18s are also a bigger off set as they are a 996 GT3 fitment. so change the stance of the car quite a lot.

2 hours ago, kdh said:

Thanks.

Unashamedly in the pottering/ daily camp. Love pressing on but the state of the roads spoil it. So I’ll give in and go for comfort now.

It isn't that huge a difference.  Has you suspension had a refresh of any sort as that made a huge difference to the ride quality of mine (particularly new dampers) and made it much quieter.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It isn't that huge a difference.  Has you suspension had a refresh of any sort as that made a huge difference to the ride quality of mine (particularly new dampers) and made it much quieter.

No suspension work as yet apart from a couple of drop links. Car is on 105k.

Only audible sign is a clanking/rattle from the rear over uneven surfaces.

obviously I’d hate to change dampers if not needed but it’s hard to tell if worn out or not isn’t it?

Usually when dampers wear they usually lose the rebound ability.

Back in the day, people used to bounce on each corner to make sure that they dropped and returned smoothly.  Generally on sports cars, the suspension is much firmer due to stiffer springs and so it is hard to tell. If when driving you can feels like it’s tramping as in it feels like when going over a bump it does a double take instead of just reflecting off the hole/bump and returning to normal then your dampers are worn.

Generally they just get a bit softer. You can look in each wheel arch, visually check if any of them are leaking. Any sign of leaking and they will need renewing. This will of course be picked up by the MOT tester.

23 minutes ago, kdh said:

obviously I’d hate to change dampers if not needed but it’s hard to tell if worn out or not isn’t it?

Are you looking for best handling and ride / perfection or just adequate and working? I'd the latter just leave as is. My current 986 was on 105k 10 years ago and benefitted from new suspension as did my then 65k 12 year old car. 

7 minutes ago, edc said:

Are you looking for best handling and ride / perfection or just adequate and working? I'd the latter just leave as is. My current 986 was on 105k 10 years ago and benefitted from new suspension as did my then 65k 12 year old car. 

Adequate and working will be fine thanks. I’ve refreshed suspension before on my past 993s and wasn’t that impressed but they are very wheel sensitive and going from 18’s to 17’s was literally night and day in terms of tramlining/comfort etc. Maybe the 986 is different.

ill try and sort out the clanking from the rear and see if that psychologically improves the ride! Does that sound like tuning forks (maybe I have the wrong word!)

If it's a snooker ball type of sound and is worse over cobbles then yes tuning forks is the main culprit. 

Thanks, yes cobbles are terrible. I’m not sure about the snooker ball sound though! Is this when it’s being hit or potted? It’s more like someone dropping a metal bucket in the floor.

Edited by kdh

On 10/26/2023 at 10:29 PM, ½cwt said:

57 minutes ago, kdh said:

The dampers can go quite rusty on the outside before they are completely shot, but check for any fluid seeping around the piston rod at the top. The ride on mine was transformed after fitting Koni Special Active dampers with good compliance but also good control if you do press on. Then again all 4 of mine were very rusty and the left rear had started leaking noticeably. 

It is a chunky investment and more so if you are not a DIYer, but the difference with new suspension all round is night and day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdh said:

IMG-2212.jpg

These are the ones. I’ll give you a shout if I find a nice set of 17s

Those are the more desirable and lightest of the 18" rims for the 986.

6 hours ago, kdh said:

Good to know, thanks. Any idea what they’re called?

Carrera cup wheels. As mentioned, lightest OME wheel produced for the 986. I have them on my 986.2 and run 17’s in the winter. Defo feel the difference but wouldn’t change them. 🤙🏻

7 hours ago, kdh said:

Good to know, thanks. Any idea what they’re called?

Carrera cup wheels. As mentioned, lightest OME wheel produced for the 986. I have them on my 986.2 and run 17’s in the winter. Defo feel the difference but wouldn’t change them. 🤙🏻

My favourite wheel.

W

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me I much prefer 17 over 18 and did the same to my 996

The race series cars run 17"

17" wheels and tyres are way lighter than 18", makes a noticeable difference.

They ride and handle better, make the car much more enjoyable all round

I sold the 18 with shot tyres that came with my 986 for more than I bought a mint set of S 17" wheels with new hankooks for.

Nobody wants 17, they give them away.