986 rear end shuffle

acgtrider

53 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I had the same in my 2.5. It gave a sort of a little wiggle if you hit a small bump in the road when you're going around a corner. Didn't do it when you hit a bump going straight. Turned out the right rear shock was kaput. Replaced it with a second hand one from Steve Strange and all good. 

I plan to have the rear suspension refreshed by Paul Lewis (Torque Boxster) sometime soon, after he did such a great job on the front suspension.

Hi 

Thanks for that, sounds very like the feeling I’m getting. I’m probably just trying to avoid the inevitable that the rear shocks are past their best at 130k miles. A normal person not used to driving a boxster probably wouldn’t notice it but I do. Cheers again !

2 hours ago, acgtrider said:

Hi 

Thanks for that, sounds very like the feeling I’m getting. I’m probably just trying to avoid the inevitable that the rear shocks are past their best at 130k miles. A normal person not used to driving a boxster probably wouldn’t notice it but I do. Cheers again !

You are probably are down the right track, but don’t dismiss the obvious 

20 hours ago, acgtrider said:

Very true ! I will start with the cheapest/simplest first. So wheel change then alignment and go from that :) cheers 

If you're close to him I would speak with Paul at Torque Boxster. He knows everything worth to know about these cars and would be able to give you a good steer on what needs to be done and how much it will be. I took mine to him for a check and a list of a) What HAS to be done, b) What has to be done but can wait, and c) what would be nice to have done. We started with a front suspension refresh and he did a great job. I plan to take it to him for the rear as well sometime soon. I've knocked off a few of the things he suggested (plastic covers etc) by going on eBay and putting the work in myself.

It might just be alignment but at 130,000 miles I would be very surprised if it didn't need any suspension work. The problem with wheel alignment is that it's very difficult to get it right if something is seized with rust, or worn out. From the sound of your symptoms though I would think a leaking shock absorber is the likely culprit. 

Not an expert - just my two cents.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, acgtrider said:

I live up in the north east of Scotland so decent indi garages are hard to come by. I also do all my own spannering haha.

22 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

If you're close to him I would speak with Paul at Torque Boxster.

They are pretty much as far apart as it is possible to be  :laugh:

22 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

If you're close to him I would speak with Paul at Torque Boxster. He knows everything worth to know about these cars and would be able to give you a good steer on what needs to be done and how much it will be. I took mine to him for a check and a list of a) What HAS to be done, b) What has to be done but can wait, and c) what would be nice to have done. We started with a front suspension refresh and he did a great job. I plan to take it to him for the rear as well sometime soon. I've knocked off a few of the things he suggested (plastic covers etc) by going on eBay and putting the work in myself.

It might just be alignment but at 130,000 miles I would be very surprised if it didn't need any suspension work. The problem with wheel alignment is that it's very difficult to get it right if something is seized with rust, or worn out. From the sound of your symptoms though I would think a leaking shock absorber is the likely culprit. 

Not an expert - just my two cents.

Hi Unfortunately I couldn’t be further away. 

In theory the alignment Should be easy enough as the rear arms are max 18 Months and 5K miles old.

Got a few other projects on the go so shocks might have to wait a wee while. I agree dampers look most likely though.

Cheers

Just now, acgtrider said:

Hi Unfortunately I couldn’t be further away. 

In theory the alignment Should be easy enough as the rear arms are max 18 Months and 5K miles old.

Got a few other projects on the go so shocks might have to wait a wee while. I agree dampers look most likely though.

Cheers

Add your location to your profile??

@acgtrider

Had a similar issue on a mercedes recently which turned out to be a broken coil spring on one side.

It wasn't immediately obvious until I did a wheel off inspection as the broken part was where it locates in the lower part of the shock absorber.

Hope you get it sorted even if I offered a curve ball.