Battery question / front lid

daytona74

When I purchased the 987, I was told its advisable to keep the front lid open in case the battery dies. It's not my daily commute so this is what I do currently but do others have this issue too? I hear the stories of not being able to access the front lid due to flat battery which is common? Any thoughts on this? I was told to get an optimizer to overcome this potential issue but I don't really like the lid open when stationery. Thanks!

Edited by daytona74

Lots of old threads on this. You either use the cig lighter connector, use the ringlet over the battery post connector or the croc clip connector and trail the lead over the seal towards the windscreen. 

5 minutes ago, edc said:

Lots of old threads on this. You either use the cig lighter connector, use the ringlet over the battery post connector or the croc clip connector and trail the lead over the seal towards the windscreen. 

OK, so is this a solar panel version? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, edc said:

Depends what you have and electricity access you have. You can plug it into a wall. 

interesting that you can plug in cigarette lighter, thought that was output only? slightly confused 🙂

8 minutes ago, daytona74 said:

interesting that you can plug in cigarette lighter, thought that was output only? slightly confused 🙂

Electricity doesn't have direction - 12v plugs can be wired direct to the battery, so connecting a charger to them does the job. However, it won't work if the 12v sockets are ignition-live only (ie. they don't work unless the key is in and switched on). Easy enough to check...plug a phone charger into the 12v with ignition off. If it starts charging the phone, then a charger connected to the 12v socket will charge the car battery.

Personally, this is all moot unless you have a garage - you don't want a cable trailing across your drive all winter (unless a solar charger will work but I've heard mixed responses on that).

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Electricity doesn't have direction - 12v plugs can be wired direct to the battery, so connecting a charger to them does the job. However, it won't work if the 12v sockets are ignition-live only (ie. they don't work unless the key is in and switched on). Easy enough to check...plug a phone charger into the 12v with ignition off. If it starts charging the phone, then a charger connected to the 12v socket will charge the car battery.

Personally, this is all moot unless you have a garage - you don't want a cable trailing across your drive all winter (unless a solar charger will work but I've heard mixed responses on that).

Nicely explained and totally get it - thank you!

987 have "smart sensing" on the ciggy lighter - they will power down after 20 mins or so if there is a "drain" on them ( dashcam / phone charger etc), but, if you plug in a battery conditioner in that 20 mins and it starts supplying power then the socket and the resulting "feed" stay alive.

Many type of battery conditioner available, I use CTEK - they have a range of connection options ( croc clips, wired to battery/appropriate earth point, or ciggy lighter - they have a quick release connector on the battery side of the lead - so you can swap "ends" - or disconnect from the permanently wired connection ( some folks do that and run the connector under the rear edge of the bonnet/wiper scuttle panel when the lid is shut.

I use the ciggy lighter method ( and have done for about 5 years) - ctek on the garage floor - ciggy lead at bottom of drivers door - which is shut and locked.

The cteks are waterproof (well splashproof) - but you do have to plug them in (obvs) - depending on your layout you may be able to achieve something that works - for example - during lockdown - I was able to hook up one to the wifes car on the drive - plugged in inside the garage , ctek under the car ( wrapped in a plastic bag just in case ) - and connected to the car battery.

Others use waterproof mains extension leads, sit the ctek in a waterproof box and run the lead as suits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daytona74 said:

OK, so what 'plug-un' to the mains optimizer to peeps use? Thanks! 🙂

CTEK MXS-5 for me

Other brands available for less money - but never used them, and the ctek is fine - this is my 2nd unit, the first one started throwing random "errors" after about 2.5 years - but CTEK honoured the 5 year warranty and sent me a new one.

Optimate are good, and lidl sometimes sell a look alike that others have used happily - no 1st hand experience with those, but i ave used optimate on motorcycle batteries in the past.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul P said:

CTEK MXS-5 for me

Other brands available for less money - but never used them, and the ctek is fine - this is my 2nd unit, the first one started throwing random "errors" after about 2.5 years - but CTEK honoured the 5 year warranty and sent me a new one.

Optimate are good, and lidl sometimes sell a look alike that others have used happily - no 1st hand experience with those, but i ave used optimate on motorcycle batteries in the past.

Thank you! I use Optimate on my bike 🙂

I have an outdoor waterproof socket on the outside garage wall. An extension cable runs to the waterproof box linked below. The CTEK plugs into this and, as @Paul P details, you run the cable over the sill and the CTEK sits in the passenger footwell. Mine then plugs into the cigarette socket in the centre console, using a CTEK connector that has a series of LEDs in it that show the charging status. I can just look in through the passenger window and check the CTEK indicator lights to see how things are going. My car gets used about twice a week, but I have a dashcam permanently connected so there is always a small current drain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B0X8CYC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, daytona74 said:

When I purchased the 987, I was told its advisable to keep the front lid open in case the battery dies. It's not my daily commute so this is what I do currently but do others have this issue too? I hear the stories of not being able to access the front lid due to flat battery which is common? Any thoughts on this? I was told to get an optimizer to overcome this potential issue but I don't really like the lid open when stationery. Thanks!

We discussed this very issue just the other day,,,,,,

Just be aware it is entirely possible for a battery on an optimiser to fail, mine did.

Next time you have the bumper off (clearing the rads) you can relocate the manual release behind the tow-hook popout, I covered mine with black tape so it wasn't glaringly obvious.

Just on another point raised above, the CTEK MXS 5.0 is rated for Ingress Protection of IP65 which can be described as follows;

Can IP65 be used in rain?

An IP65 rated enclosure gives protection against low pressure water jets from any direction, as well as condensation and water spray. It's suitable for most outdoor enclosures that won't encounter extreme weather such as flooding. *DO NOT SUBMERGE!

It is always good to attempt to pre-empt problems, kudos :thumbsup_anim: 

• Like 1

I use a solar panel in the garage window, plugged into the cig lighter within 5 mins of engine off, cable trapped in the door. My battery lasted for over 7 years at barely 2000 miles/year, so I think it works.

Another pair of tips: 1. Remove locking wheel nuts and replace with normal - no-one steals wheels any more.  2. Locate your emergency frunk opener behind the front wheel arch (hence the locking wheel nut tip; need to remove the wheel to get to it) and relocate to somewhere you don't need to take the wheel off, such as behind towing eye.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I use a solar panel in the garage window, plugged into the cig lighter within 5 mins of engine off, cable trapped in the door. My battery lasted for over 7 years at barely 2000 miles/year, so I think it works.

Another pair of tips: 1. Remove locking wheel nuts and replace with normal - no-one steals wheels any more.  2. Locate your emergency frunk opener behind the front wheel arch (hence the locking wheel nut tip; need to remove the wheel to get to it) and relocate to somewhere you don't need to take the wheel off, such as behind towing eye.

nice... what solar panel kit did ya go for? and... did you have to fiddle with the wiring to the cigarette lighter etc? thanks! 🙂

Ring 600w. Didn't have to fiddle with any wiring IIRC. Think it's old, this is the newer (and bigger) version. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RSP1000-Maintainer-Monocrystalline/dp/B0C8BF25PP?th=1 

Note I'm a thousand miles south of you, but still they claim it works on cloudy days. One disadvantage is absolutely no indicator lights to understand if or how it's working. But as I say, my battery lasted for years, and always started happily even after 6 weeks standing, so I assume it did.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Ring 600w. Didn't have to fiddle with any wiring IIRC. Think it's old, this is the newer (and bigger) version. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RSP1000-Maintainer-Monocrystalline/dp/B0C8BF25PP?th=1 

Note I'm a thousand miles south of you, but still they claim it works on cloudy days. One disadvantage is absolutely no indicator lights to understand if or how it's working. But as I say, my battery lasted for years, and always started happily even after 6 weeks standing, so I assume it did.

I have something similar in the camper van, that doesn’t get used much (or at all) over winter. It keeps two leisure batteries topped up. I would opt for the bigger rated 20W version for not much more money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RSP1000-Maintainer-Monocrystalline/dp/B0C8BD57Y9?th=1

@Menoporsche is yours really 600W, it must be huge?

• Like 2