Headlamp removal.

phazed

I know on the 987 there is a special tool in the car to remove the headlamps

In my 986, there doesn’t seem to be anything. I assume they come out in the same manner? If so, should there be a tool and if so and mine is missing, can I use my 987 tool to remove them from the 986?

7 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Don’t know about the 987, but the 986 should come with a tool. I think I’ve used a torx screwdriver on it before. The tool is a hexagonal profile about 7-8mm across.

Actually, it might have been a small socket from my 1/4” socket set.

It is something like a 5 or 6mm socket on a medium extension that will do it.  The OE one in the tool kit tends to expand and crack with lots of use so it just spins on the hex which is what's happened to the one in my car's tool kit.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Sounds like it’s a different one from the 987.

I will take a break from trying to diagnose why the roof won’t open and get the tool out of my 987 which is undercover in the garage. Have a feeling it won’t fit.

if it is just a hexagonal socket on an extension than that it’s s easy peasy!

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

It is something like a 5 or 6mm socket on a medium extension that will do it.  The OE one in the tool kit tends to expand and crack with lots of use so it just spins on the hex which is what's happened to the one in my car's tool kit.

correct, I used to use a normal socket on a extention bar on my 986

Just make sure the socket stays on the extension, its tight in there! 

Some of those prices are crazy for the Porsche version!

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/7667

Will remove the headlights later today and remove the front bumper… need to check condition of radiators and have a good clean up inside.

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

Just make sure the socket stays on the extension, its tight in there! 

Some of those prices are crazy for the Porsche version!

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/7667

I usually use a deep socket or a nut driver.  More room for recovery if it does stick...

I just remove the headlamps in seconds! I should have looked before asking such a silly question.

The 987 has a long tool that locate through the hole on the inner wing. The 986 has hexagonal protrusions just below the surface of the inner wing and only requires a short extension and a 5 mm small socket. I used a quarter drive for ease.

Thanks guys.