Roof not working at all!

phazed

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven’t checked them yet but will on Wednesday. Don’t think I will have a chance tomorrow. I’ve been concentrating on the mechanicals and have now moved onto these electrical problems. The car has been standing for a year unused and it would surprise me if it was fuses that have blown, doesn’t make sense. It was laid up as it wouldn’t start because the previous owner didn’t realise that it had let in water and drowned the immobiliser. Stupid independent mechanic couldn’t fix it either, hence standing for so long. I kind of think that there will be a eureka moment as I find something out of place. I will of course check the fuses as suggested. 

Have you had the ECU under the passengers seat recommissioned, if not, this has to be some of the problems.  Mine is a little dodgy and has been drowned in the past.  One thing it does sometimes is flick the locking on and off as I drive, normally does it 5 times or so then stops. The red light stays on the locking switch, even if you press it.  Other odd things happen at times too.  I can't think of one other thing that may affect so many things.

Edited by Daboy3000

10 hours ago, phazed said:

Haven’t checked them yet but will on Wednesday. Don’t think I will have a chance tomorrow. I’ve been concentrating on the mechanicals and have now moved onto these electrical problems. The car has been standing for a year unused and it would surprise me if it was fuses that have blown, doesn’t make sense. It was laid up as it wouldn’t start because the previous owner didn’t realise that it had let in water and drowned the immobiliser. Stupid independent mechanic couldn’t fix it either, hence standing for so long. I kind of think that there will be a eureka moment as I find something out of place. I will of course check the fuses as suggested. 

The Eureka moment might well be that you need a replacement alarm control module...

I think you are absolutely right here. It seems on reading that article above that the immobilizer does a lot more than just immobilize. Not that dissimilar to the 987, although probably working in it complete different way.

I might see if I can get this repaired, as I did look into a replacement module, and the price was absolutely outrageous! 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:44 PM, iborguk said:

Also worth mentally filing re the remote operation/alarm/immobiliser

https://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/item/234-996-986-alarm-primer

I eventually got hold of JMG today. Spoke to a lady who knew all about these problems. Removed the ECU, immobiliser and packed in a box with an ignition key. Sent off this afternoon to JMG. They said they would analyse it next week and let me know the damage! Hoping it is an easy fix and they can turn it around within a fortnight. They would indeed be, “happy days “. 

Just to add that I am not going to do any more detective work relating to the roof until the immobiliser issue is sorted as I will only be chasing my tail, and of course thinking about it, I haven’t got the electronics any more in the car!
Oh well, that’s my plans for running up the engine in the next couple of days scuppered.