Roof not working at all!

phazed

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine bridging the terminals in the wiring plug to the switch with a paperclip or similar,  will prove (or not) if the switch is the problem.

May be possible to do that by unplugging it from the switch without completely removing the console ?

It been a while since I removed mine so cant remember exact location. Possibly remove floor of storage box in console .

Not sure to be honest, but Im sure someone else will be able to be more definite. 

Busying myself with 101 other things underneath at the moment. Removed the 3 fuel tank straps, had them shot blasted primed and painted prior to replacement. A bit over the top me thinks!

22 hours ago, phazed said:

Let’s hope so. Looks like I will have to take the centre consul off to expose the handbrake switch. 

You should be able to access the switch by removing the bottom of the little box in the centre console. Take the little rubber mat out and underneath you will find some Torx screws. Undo them and lift the bottom out. This will enable you to see the handbrake mechanism. I did this when I adjusted the handbrake (which is a really easy job btw) and you should then be able to get to the microswitch on the handbrake.

Sadly, the only thing available at the bottom of the cubbyhole is the handbrake cable junction with the lever.

There isn’t a switch in sight , or any wires.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Sadly, the only thing available at the bottom of the cubbyhole is the handbrake cable junction with the lever.

There isn’t a switch in sight , or any wires.

Centre console out then.  It isn't too hard to do.  While you are in there change the gear shift to a 997/987 which is a shorter throw.

• 1 month later...

Hooray! I have progress. Spent a little time yesterday fitting a new handbrake switch. Fiddled about on the fuse board, pulling and checking fuses, relays et cetera put the battery back in and thought I would give the roof a try again. Hallelujah, roof opens. Sadly, the roof doesn’t close. Ran out of time but will revisit this probably tomorrow. Any ideas? My first thoughts were possibly the switch itself. Possibly contacts which often play up on window control switches. Any other ideas would be appreciated? 

1 minute ago, phazed said:

Hooray! I have progress. Spent a little time yesterday fitting a new handbrake switch. Fiddled about on the fuse board, pulling and checking fuses, relays et cetera put the battery back in and thought I would give the roof a try again. Hallelujah, roof opens. Sadly, the roof doesn’t close. Ran out of time but will revisit this probably tomorrow. Any ideas? My first thoughts were possibly the switch itself. Possibly contacts which often play up on window control switches. Any other ideas would be appreciated? 

Agree 1st place to look is the switch - I assume you should be able to see if it's "closing" by a simple multimeter test - and again ( assuming) - you could probably fake a connection of the required "pins" by shorting the connecting block ( assumptions based on not knowing what is "presented" to the switch )

Yes, I will be doing that. Not surprising that some electrical items have not been working with this car as it has been standing outside for a year unused before I purchased it. We know electrics don’t like that!

Next step is why the windows don’t work!

Maybe get some decent contact cleaner (rather than it will do wd40) and give the switch a good drink and much wiggling to see if you can provoke life - worked for me with window switch on previous car 

On 1/5/2024 at 4:03 PM, Paul P said:

Maybe get some decent contact cleaner (rather than it will do wd40) and give the switch a good drink and much wiggling to see if you can provoke life - worked for me with window switch on previous car 

Got round to doing this this evening. No joy. Ben took switch apart. Rocker and plastic membrane underneath removed. Cleaned up switch and contacts with toothbrush and contact cleaner, all looked fine. Assembled and exactly the same.

Got round to doing this this evening. No joy. Then took switch apart. Rocker and plastic membrane underneath removed. Cleaned up switch and contacts with toothbrush and contact cleaner, all looked fine. Assembled and exactly the same.

Roof goes down but will not go up. Don’t know if it’s anything to do with it but windows do not drop and also the windows do not operate from the centre console rocker switches. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be great.

Spoiler seems to be stuck in the up position as well. These are the last little problems to solve, (apart from the drivers door that won’t open from the outside but apparently there is a fix for this!).

I am hoping that there is something that will be affecting the windows, central locking, which doesn’t seem to work off the button, even though the button red light is on and the spoiler.

The PSM light is on, but that may be due to the fact there is no brake fluid in the system, or any brake pads, (or calipers) fitted yet.

25 minutes ago, iborguk said:

On a 987 roof, rear lights and spoiler are controlled by the rear control unit.

That said you've got the roof going down ok.

Rear lights working ok ? 

It’s on my 986, 2001.

Not checked yet  will do on Wednesday if all goes to plan.

Correct. My car just has the one micro switch in the overhead panel.