Dashboard lights don’t turn off? Ever?

kdh

My new battery died after two days recently (now recharged)  and tonight I have noticed that some of my dashboard lights - mileage, mph etc - have remained illuminated for at least three hours after I used the car. I thought that they only stayed on for 5mins?

Could this be the battery drain I have been looking for?

I have the same issue I think.

I remove the key and the display remains on. If I try to lock the car it thinks the key is still in the ignition and the fob won't lock the doors. Weirdly if I put the key back in and then remove it without turning the ignition back on, then the lights go out and I can lock it as normal. I've been trying to ignore it and hoping that it will fix itself, however I think I will eventually need a new ignition switch!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kdh said:

My new battery died after two days recently (now recharged)  and tonight I have noticed that some of my dashboard lights - mileage, mph etc - have remained illuminated for at least three hours after I used the car. I thought that they only stayed on for 5mins?

Could this be the battery drain I have been looking for?

Erm you also had a new battery die? I think you may have water under the passenger seat. The exact same thing happened to my friend's 996, additionally he'd wake up in the morning and both windows would be down, along with the alarm randomly going off, dash lights on permanently.

Lift up the carpet and have a good feel at the bottom of the foam and below it, I'd imagine it's soaked.

• Like 1

Submitted before I was finished... If it is wet, put a full or half cover on to stop further ingress. It will likely be, fix the leak and a new alarm module if it's wet down there. These thing rarely recover from water. 

• Like 1

I have similar occasionally, it’s like something fails to disengage when you remove the key, but I’m not sure which part is responsible. I now recognise it’s happened as the car won’t lock, so I just put the key in and remove it again which has always sorted it.

• Like 1

Morning all, thanks very much for your replies, I shall investigate.

Question:

If my battery is slowly draining as a result of the dashboard lights remaining on, is there a way of deactivating the alarm so it doesn’t go off at weird times? Pull fuse out?

I don’t ever lock the doors either with the fob or the key.

cheers

Edited by kdh

These 986's are jolly strange.

I've disconnected the battery, disconnected the alarm horn, connected the battery, locked the car manually and the lights have now gone off.

From what I can see, the cdr23 stereo on/off button has a tiny light behind it which stays on. Maybe that's the culprit.

Interesting re disconnecting the alarm siren.  They are known to fuse battery drain and random alarm sounding (they have a battery.  That’s charges from the main one. Over time the siren battery degrades.  So constantly charges from main battery.  Causing it to go flat.  At some point the siren thinks the main battery has been interferes with (it’s voltage drops below a threshold) so sounds the alarm )

not heard of the dash lights staying on because of that.  That does feel to me like an ignition switch issue. 

9 hours ago, Amaboknaai said:

Just replace the ignition switch. They are about £10, and takes about an hour with swearing, bloody knuckles and a shortened 3mm flat head screwdriver.

A bit more than that unless you want to fit another one in a few years time...  Say £40ish.

Paul, after disconnecting the alarm siren I now have no chirping but do have two flashing green arrows on the dash which I can live with and which disappear when the key goes in the ignition.

Car locked manually and all internal lights off. I’ll just wait to see if the battery runs down due to something but I feel I’ve cracked it. Funny old things these 986’s…

Edited by kdh

Going to fit my new ignition switch this morning. Have the same problem with the dash lights staying on quite often when the key is removed. A bit of fiddling and they go out.

Just got back from walking the dogs in the rain. Tea made and heading to the garage. Will keep you informed.

I just wiggled the key a few times and the lights went off and I could withdraw the key.

I know, I bought the car, eyes open needing more than a bit of TLC, but you would’ve thought the owner would have told me that the ignition switch was 90% inoperable as well as a host of other minor items. Conveniently forgotten. This is from a guy who owned the car for nine years! You really need to appreciate the saying, caveat emptor! 

Blimey that was quick, good for you.

'Conveniently forgotten' - yes.

I think it's worse when you know the person who you've bought the car from and they 'conveniently forget' to tell you about the problems they've had and the ones that are ongoing. It can ruin a friendship going back and asking about things that should have been flagged at the sale.

Good luck with the rest.