Brake rotor and pad replacement kits - front & rear

Sentinel261

Evening all,

Hoping that I can get a steer from learned members as to where the most favourable place I can buy Brembo replacement Brake kits from. Hopefully from those that have gone the same DiY route option to fit.

The feed back post service of the underside on my 987.2 today was mostly very good condition, little corrosion, no leaks …..with exception of the front brake rotors and pads.

Bummer is that car is due an MoT and I fear given the condition of the brake rotors it’s like to fail.

Any advice and recommendations please?

cheers 

Discs old chap. Discs. 

When  you say the condition do you mean they are warped, very worn or just some superficial surface rust ?

In my experience if a garage tells you your discs and pads need replacing it usually means you’ve got at least another 12/18 months of normal use before you actually do😀

Its very  common to have some surface rust on your brake discs especially if the car is used lightly and sat over a winter… unless it’s severe I would say highly unlikely to be more than an advisory on an MOT. 

Your discs and pads will usually respond well to a really good run out ,give it some beans followed by some heavy but careful braking and repeat to  clean up the discs  and free up the calipers..

Inner surfaces on the discs are a weak spot.  They corrode badly especially if they are not dried out after washing.  

if you are set on Brembo then try the usual euro car parts etc.  note that pretty much all the other suppliers have left and right handed discs for the front except Brembo they are the same for either side. A set of calliper bolts  and the pesky little positioning screws for the discs from opc, and a fitting kit (spring, pins, r clips ) from d911. You may need the shims as well.  They stick to the back of the pads and therefore reuse (if you are doing it thoroughly is a challenge). Not all models have them.  Wear sensors are available in two shapes.  Pad dependent. You may well be able to reuse. Depends on the luck of removing them.  

some folks are very happy with Brembo.  Others have said they are a bit “average”.  An alternative is pagid discs and textar pads (I think those are the people who supply Porsche but it’s a guess as to is the direct supply the same as factory.  ) 

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

An alternative is pagid discs and textar pads (I think those are the people who supply Porsche but it’s a guess as to is the direct supply the same as factory.  ) 

I did some work with an exhaust manufacturer. They made 3 examples of each exhaust. Best quality for original fitment. Lower quality for OEM spares. Much lower quality for general replacement market. Whether the same applies to Pagid I don't know...

I have Brembo disc+pads that I fitted myself and they seem fine for general road use. One additional nice to have with the discs is that the top hat has a very nice coat of (hammerite like) paint so will corrode less quickly.

1 minute ago, entdgc said:

I did some work with an exhaust manufacturer. They made 3 examples of each exhaust. Best quality for original fitment. Lower quality for OEM spares. Much lower quality for general replacement market. Whether the same applies to Pagid I don't know...

I have Brembo disc+pads that I fitted myself and they seem fine for general road use. One additional nice to have with the discs is that the top hat has a very nice coat of (hammerite like) paint so will corrode less quickly.

Don’t know about the discs but the top hat comment is a good point.  

the Porsche genuine part rear pads for mine (987.2) has a textar part number on them.  But I couldn’t match that part number anywhere.  Maybe it was compound difference maybe the Porsche part simply has “Porsche” written on it.  My take.  If the difference is 50 quid I will take the Porsche ones maybe once every 3 years.  If it’s 500 might think differently.  

I run Textar pads on Brembo discs.  Most of the accessories mentioned will go again, even sensors if you can extract them without damage, that said the Pagid sensors went in to my Textar pads OK.  Brembo put a nice gunmetal grey paint finish on the disc bell.  Remember for genuine Porsche parts the cheapest place nearly every time is from a Porsche Centre.  Design 911 is convenient but more expensive...

This is how bad the corrosion on the discs can get...

m03S1yi.jpg 

Carparts4less (online only version of Eurocarparts) is often a little bit cheaper for the same parts but you can collect from local ECP branch or get delivery.  If you can wait for a week or so for delivery there is also Autodoc.

Regarding the Brembo, their new design for the drillings is not handed but has a bi-directional radial pattern:

HPcgAhr.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I changed the fronts, I went with Pagid discs and Brembo pads. Got a great deal on the discs.

While I was there I fitted new sensors and pin sets and fitted Goodridge SS hoses.

Very happy with them, might be because they are new, but the amount of brake dust has been massively reduced.