Exhaust back box options

Norbert

Hi folks, I can't stand the stock sound any longer.  The 986 I test drove before the one I bought sounded pretty good on a stock exhaust, which I realise now was probably leaking, lol.

My new to me 2.5 sounds like a Yaris with nothing but a bit of (?injector) whine at low revs. Over 4k, well there's a flat 6 in there somewhere..

After looking at all the options I think I have settled on the Oettle bypass done by a trusted local fabricator.  Good sound, no drone, stock looks, not dear..

Any tips for doing this (on a 2.5)? Tube diameter vs loudness?  Is it tight hiding the bypass pipes under the rear PU? (Looks it.)

Cheers

IMG_0845.jpeg

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Whit primer did you use on the stainless?

Surface was scoured. Brushed on cylinder paint. Said it did not need a primer. See what happens. 😬

Is it going to take the heat? Why paint that section as it's up against the car? 

There's a chap on Torque Boxsters group on facebook @TROOPER88's page and he i think is in the trade and has a number of exhausts being shipped over from the US so thought some here might be interested. 

"Aaron Rathore 

Good morning everyone,
I try not to make sales posts here being a business, and this is perhaps against group rules (apologies if so) but I want anyone here who needs one to have first opportunity.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find genuine silencers for our cars in good condition, being left with only aftermarket solutions that just don't sound the same. With that in mind I have a shipment of Genuine used silencers arriving 15th April from USA.

These exhausts will be in mint condition since they don't have the sort of corrosion we have. For any interested parties please send me a private message. I will be making a list of members here to get the most mint condition examples before they are offered on our online store.

2.5, 2.7, 3.2 variations on route, both facelift and pre facelift.
Price will be roughly £500 delivered for group members."
Edited by fizz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fizz said:

There's a chap on Torque Boxsters group on facebook @TROOPER88's page and he i think is in the trade and has a number of exhausts being shipped over from the US so thought some here might be interested. 

"Aaron Rathore  · 

Good morning everyone,
I try not to make sales posts here being a business, and this is perhaps against group rules (apologies if so) but I want anyone here who needs one to have first opportunity.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find genuine silencers for our cars in good condition, being left with only aftermarket solutions that just don't sound the same. With that in mind I have a shipment of Genuine used silencers arriving 15th April from USA.

These exhausts will be in mint condition since they don't have the sort of corrosion we have. For any interested parties please send me a private message. I will be making a list of members here to get the most mint condition examples before they are offered on our online store.

2.5, 2.7, 3.2 variations on route, both facelift and pre facelift.
Price will be roughly £500 delivered for group members."

Aaron is a great guy and a reputable breaker, I have known him for years.

For those on my FB group, I added a picture this morning of one of the Californian mufflers I fitted and they are like new. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, edc said:

Is it going to take the heat? Why paint that section as it's up against the car? 

Yes, takes the heat. It is a paint for exhaust systems, cylinder heads and blocks. Friend has had it on his system for a couple of years. No issues. Why? Bit of a tart I suppose. 💁‍♂️. Covers up the scars. Not that anyone will see it. 🤪

6 minutes ago, Jimmymack said:

I could be interested in an exhaust for a 2004 3.2 (the only issue is its an anniversary so has different tips)

I 'think' the tips can be transfered...

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:40 PM, brillomaster said:

I quite like 'good things come to those who wait' mantra...

I knew I wanted an exhaust for my 987, but didn't want to pay £800 for a decent ish new one...kept scouring FB marketplace and ebay, and eventually a secondhand toyosports came up for £150. Snapped it up, and got it installed, and it's awesome. No drone at low rpm,howls like a banshee under WOT. and, the money saved against new has paid for three trackdays.

Picked up a secondhand set of toyo r888r tyres for £200 (as opposed to the £900 or so for a new set) so we're quids in there too.

Don't buy cheap, buy smart!

I was out for an enthusiastic drive yesterday and I realised that my toyosports has become very musical. It was always OK sounding but it must have finally reached some state where it sounds really really nice. I guess it's been on a couple of thousand miles. Couldn't stop blasting it up the revs. 👹

37 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

I was out for an enthusiastic drive yesterday and I realised that my toyosports has become very musical. It was always OK sounding but it must have finally reached some state where it sounds really really nice. I guess it's been on a couple of thousand miles. Couldn't stop blasting it up the revs. 👹

Remember the exhaust set up on the 987 is very different from the 986 with two separate boxes not the one long box across the back.