Exhaust back box options

Norbert

41 minutes ago, phazed said:

How are you getting on with the Toyosports item?
Only done a couple of test drives with mine but will be doing a 40 mile round-trip on Tuesday, hopefully with the roof down, weather permitting and will know more on my return!

I’ve loved it on a weekend car, particularly after it calmed down a bit after the first 1000 miles. Came back from Scotland on the motorway with th roof down and the drone wasn’t intrusive. Worst is around town if you need to put your foot down to make a gap, but I don’t generally drive in town much.

10 minutes ago, kdh said:

Has anyone with a leaky OEM back box had the seams welded up to get it through a Mot? 

Not on my Boxster but I have had it done on another car. It will get you through if done well but it is only a temporary fix as if it is bad enough to cause a localised leak you can be sure it will fail in another location soon enough. I think I got just over twelve months out of my repair so was alright (just) for next MOT but failed soon after.

Also depends on how bad it is as you cannot weld rust!

Edited by Nitro V8

Mine has just passed the MOT but the garage said that it probably wouldn't next year as it was delaminating and leaking slightly through the seams.

I bought the box a couple of months ago from a parts supplier on Ebay for 250 who said it was in Good Condition.

I would guess that if it's split then its probably not in Good Condition. Do I have any comeback do you think? Exhaust is still on my car and it's a faff to have it taken off and shipped back, but it's a bit cheeky.

I've contacted them and awaiting reply.

7 minutes ago, kdh said:

I bought the box a couple of months ago from a parts supplier on Ebay for 250 who said it was in Good Condition.

I would guess that if it's split then its probably not in Good Condition. Do I have any comeback do you think? Exhaust is still on my car and it's a faff to have it taken off and shipped back, but it's a bit cheeky.

I've contacted them and awaiting reply.

Breakers sometimes dont see a car running and base the condition on visual inspection. Not sure how much comeback you will get but because its ebay you might have something to go on. 

With regards to these back boxes and the way they are constructed they can rust from the inside outward as well as it has a number of skins so its hard to weld. 

No comeback apparently, not surprised. Back to the drawing board and looking for a decent used OEM one. They do sound nice with bypass pipes fitted, but for a good sound they need to be stainless and at least 1” in diameter.

45 minutes ago, kdh said:

No comeback apparently, not surprised. Back to the drawing board and looking for a decent used OEM one. They do sound nice with bypass pipes fitted, but for a good sound they need to be stainless and at least 1” in diameter.

The USA seems to be a good source.  They work out at about £500 landed int eh UK and seem to be corrosion free form the two recent stories on here at least.  Or a new Dansk OE equivalent system at around £1k territory, plus fitting...

I would just like to add at this stage in the exhaust discussion that the Toyosports back box, manifolds and the Gravity sports cats are far too loud and intrusive for every day use . It is a bit of a buzz when accelerating flat out through the gears but the noise does attract attention, (and it is annoying). I prefer the stealth like sound of my 987.1 switchable exhaust. It does what it says on the tin. Lovely and quiet with just a beautiful howl at high RPM where you want it.

I have a Topgear back box on mine. Pretty much the same as the Toyosport but with the added skid plate grill things which look quite good.

Not too drony and sounds good combined with the 200cell cats. Quite loud but doesn’t me as I’m quite deaf!

QsGz4dF.jpeg

Yep, identical apart from the cheese grater.

Maybe it will settle down after some miles.

41 minutes ago, phazed said:

Maybe it will settle down after some miles.

Or maybe it will get louder. Mine spat out little silver particles all over the back of the car.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ATM said:

Or maybe it will get louder. Mine spat out little silver particles all over the back of the car.

Blimey! 🤨 😂

Remember the sayings - 'Buy cheap, buy twice.'  & 'You get what you pay for.'

Edited by ½cwt

My mantra.

If you pay too much for something then you have lost a little money.

if you pay too little, you won’t achieve what you set out for.

I obviously didn’t follow that rule 😁

• Like 1

I quite like 'good things come to those who wait' mantra...

I knew I wanted an exhaust for my 987, but didn't want to pay £800 for a decent ish new one...kept scouring FB marketplace and ebay, and eventually a secondhand toyosports came up for £150. Snapped it up, and got it installed, and it's awesome. No drone at low rpm,howls like a banshee under WOT. and, the money saved against new has paid for three trackdays.

Picked up a secondhand set of toyo r888r tyres for £200 (as opposed to the £900 or so for a new set) so we're quids in there too.

Don't buy cheap, buy smart!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

I knew I wanted an exhaust for my 987, but didn't want to pay £800 for a decent ish new one...kept scouring FB marketplace and ebay, and eventually a secondhand toyosports came up for £150. Snapped it up, and got it installed, and it's awesome. No drone at low rpm,howls like a banshee under WOT. and, the money saved against new has paid for three trackdays.

Picked up a secondhand set of toyo r888r tyres for £200 (as opposed to the £900 or so for a new set) so we're quids in there too.

Agree, big difference between cheap and cost effective.  A point that seems to escape my employers regularly too.

52 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

Got a picture of the zorst that you fitted?

I need to look for another set of R888’s, only got a couple of days left in mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress with my exhaust project. Bracket for tips welded on and working as it should. New stainless bolts machined and welded on for the bracket that I still have not got. 😬

Ex Ex

3 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Well, today, top got 2 coats of satin black. Feel like a wheeler dealer. 😬. Getting close. Got this gut feeling it is going to be to loud. 🤪.

Ee

Whit primer did you use on the stainless?