Exhaust back box options

Norbert

8 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Few exhaust systems on the bay for those on the lookout for a replacement.

1st up, a nice earlier box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315195537355?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OlEXPzTRTK-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

🤙🏻

If you need (or even might need) an exhaust for a 2.5, get this one bought pronto. Looks in really good condition and is a fair price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

If you need (or even might need) an exhaust for a 2.5, get this one bought pronto. Looks in really good condition and is a fair price.

I put it in my watch list and they offered me 50 quid off. I do not think it will be around to long. 🤙

21 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

I put it in my watch list and they offered me 50 quid off. I do not think it will be around to long. 🤙

Just done the same with the dansk one... :whistle1:

10 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Won't work on a 2.7 without getting the updated hanger bracket too.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:25 PM, kdh said:

That's mine.

Price reduced.

Can I ask why you're selling this please. Your ad says you're going down a different route, so can I ask why?

I had a boomy turd and then went back to standard. I don't want to go there again.

11 hours ago, ATM said:

Can I ask why you're selling this please. Your ad says you're going down a different route, so can I ask why?

I've gone for the original OEM muffler with bypass pipes simply because I don't want the extra volume all of the time. It's not that much louder than stock at low revs but the wife is aware of it in the Waitrose car park.

If this was my weekend toy I'd keep it on. It's a good sound.

Edited by kdh

I must say that I do like the stock sound from my 987 with sports flaps. A nice stealth like sound for normal use with a wondrous howl at higher revs. Switch to sport and the tone is slightly deeper and louder with arguably one more bhp due to the open nature of the system  😁

that I would love on my 986.

surely the switchable option for the 986 is the spyder performance valved u bends, as below:

https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/exhausts/valvetronic-sets/porsche-986-boxster-spyder-performance-exhaust-bypass-valve-set/

but for phazed theres probably not a lot of point as the toyosports backbox is already basically an exhaust bypass!

That Spyder valve bypass route for me is completely over the top, anyone who uses one should get an immediate asbo! 

Also any connection with this annoying 🔔end who made this video who exclude it for me.

Does that system just discharge the gases into the open without going through the rear box? If so, that will be really annoying on the road!
My 987 switchable exhaust is nothing like that and in fact, when I have used it on Track Days, the noise level on sport setting is only two dB higher than the standard stealth exhaust system sound. Less than 90 dB if I remember correctly

Edited by phazed

@phazed yes it turns it into a completely unsilenced car effectively! How anyone believes that is acceptable is quite frankly beyond me, but then I am getting old🤣.  Sorry already there according to SWMBO 

I agree, I think it's crude and I can't imagine it sounds that good. The open pipes are actually about four feet apart and the gases come out in front of the back or each rear wheel.

I'm also very surprised that my Very Nice Sounding Exhaust hasn't sold yet. It's on Ebay now and I've had some really stupid enquiries. (Buy a Chinese one and good luck to you.)

As for Joel (clip above) how do these guys get so much money to buy so many cars? You tube ads don't pay that much.

There's a channel called Cars with Luke with a youngish guy who owns and tests all manner of exotica.

22 hours ago, kdh said:

I'm also very surprised that my Very Nice Sounding Exhaust hasn't sold yet. It's on Ebay now and I've had some really stupid enquiries.

If I hadnt bought the one from the US I'd have bought yours from you. 

Ordinarily I wouldn't be excited about a standard oem backbox but this will sound like it's just come out the factory as the condition is mint. 

Who knows, if I put it on and it's too quite and yours is still available I might buy it still. 

Not sure how much of the nice loud exhaust is down to all the leaks in the backbox. 🤣

18 minutes ago, fizz said:

If I hadnt bought the one from the US I'd have bought yours from you. 

Ordinarily I wouldn't be excited about a standard oem backbox but this will sound like it's just come out the factory as the condition is mint. 

Who knows, if I put it on and it's too quite and yours is still available I might buy it still. 

Not sure how much of the nice loud exhaust is down to all the leaks in the backbox. 🤣

When I got my 986 someone asked if it had been modified as it sounded quite meaty, but I thought nothing of it until I replaced it with a Toyo sport item. When I removed the old back box it rattled as some major part inside had broken off, probably part of the muffling. I was going to sell it, but when I looked the other day one of the seams had split underneath, so I left it out for the scrap man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

When I got my 986 someone asked if it had been modified as it sounded quite meaty, but I thought nothing of it until I replaced it with a Toyo sport item. When I removed the old back box it rattled as some major part inside had broken off, probably part of the muffling. I was going to sell it, but when I looked the other day one of the seams had split underneath, so I left it out for the scrap man.

How are you getting on with the Toyosports item?
Only done a couple of test drives with mine but will be doing a 40 mile round-trip on Tuesday, hopefully with the roof down, weather permitting and will know more on my return!

16 minutes ago, phazed said:

How are you getting on with the Toyosports item?
Only done a couple of test drives with mine but will be doing a 40 mile round-trip on Tuesday, hopefully with the roof down, weather permitting and will know more on my return!

Roof down I found was 'quieter' and the resonance boom effect was reduced compared to roof up.