Exhaust back box options

Norbert

14 hours ago, kdh said:

I wish we had someone like Tony Banks down South.

There is, Hayward & Scott in Basildon.  Still a hike from Eastbourne but a lot closer, oh and a touch more expensive too!. 

I had one of their back boxes on my classic Impreza.  Amazing sound, but not ridiculous and very good quality.

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Sounds good £499 for the fitting of a brand new exhaust plus £1500 for the removal of the old one and it's rusty nuts!! 

It's a good point that you need to know what you are getting. £499 is id bet a price for the exhaust box, no cats no manifolds. Custom manifolds would be at least £499 again. 

55 minutes ago, edc said:

It's a good point that you need to know what you are getting. £499 is id bet a price for the exhaust box, no cats no manifolds. Custom manifolds would be at least £499 again. 

Correct, this price is just for the rear silencer/back box because as you say manifolds and cats would almost tripple that price. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Hayward & Scott in Basildon.

They used to be very popular in the m2 mr2 scene back in the early 2000s and I knew a couple of the mr2 turbo lads have brilliant custom made systems from them. Back then they were considered expensive option too. 

Nice to hear their name pop up again and that they are still in business! 

• 2 weeks later...

So... ive had a bit of progress and who would have thought that having friends overseas from online gaming would come in useful in such a scenario. 

We have a whatsapp group between 3 of us as we met on xbox and are all petrol heads. I explained I'm after a backbox from the states and within a short time one found the exhaust and as luck would have it, it's 20min away from the other chap in the group. He's agreed to pick it up and pack and send it over for me! 

It appears to be a very good condition 2003 boxster S exhaust off car that had 36k on the clock. 

9l5Orqk.jpeg

tHvEzif.jpeg

rXSm3jf.jpeg

He should be collecting it today all bring well fingers crossed! 

So bought it for $150 (circa £118) and considering the condition of uk examples on Ebay range from £300 to £500 quid for rusted or repaired examples, even if the cost of shipping is another £250 quid I'd be happy! 

I hope it arrives as good as it looks.

Edited by fizz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fizz said:

So... ive had a bit of progress and who would have thought that having friends overseas from online gaming would come in useful in such a scenario. 

We have a whatsapp group between 3 of us as we met on xbox and are all petrol heads. I explained I'm after a backbox from the states and within a short time one found the exhaust and as luck would have it, it's 20min away from the other chap in the group. He's agreed to pick it up and pack and send it over for me! 

It appears to be a very good condition 2003 boxster S exhaust off car that had 36k on the clock. 

9l5Orqk.jpeg

tHvEzif.jpeg

rXSm3jf.jpeg

He should be collecting it today all bring well fingers crossed! 

So bought it for $150 (circa £118) and considering the condition of uk examples on Ebay range from £300 to £500 quid for rusted or repaired examples, even if the cost of shipping is another £250 quid I'd be happy! 

I hope it arrives as good as it looks.

Great find, it looks immaculate for 21 years old.  Do they fancy making a business out of it?

Don't forget it could get slapped with duty by HMRC when it arrives in the UK.

• Like 1

Just now, ½cwt said:

Great find, it looks immaculate for 21 years old.  Do they fancy making a business out of it?

Don't forget it could get slapped with duty by HMRC when it arrives in the UK.

I'm already ahead of ya and told my mate if he finds any more then to let me know. According to @Norbert who was kind enough to share some info with me on his purchase process, there will be UK tax (20%) but no import tax the part is made in the EU. 

Lets see how this process gets on and if the shipping is worth while for my mate to do it again for others who might be looking for a stock replacement. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fizz said:

I'm already ahead of ya and told my mate if he finds any more then to let me know. According to @Norbert who was kind enough to share some info with me on his purchase process, there will be UK tax (20%) but no import tax the part is made in the EU. 

Lets see how this process gets on and if the shipping is worth while for my mate to do it again for others who might be looking for a stock replacement. :) 

So looking at about £400 landed in the UK based on the price and transport cost you've given for this one and in far superior condition compared to pretty much any I've seen on eBay in UK and Europe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

So looking at about £400 landed in the UK based on the price and transport cost you've given for this one and in far superior condition compared to pretty much any I've seen on eBay in UK and Europe.

Yeah agreed on the condition of all the inferior ones available locally. 

@Norbert guestimate... 

Exhaust: E-money conversion rate £131.47 GBP = $159.00 USD / 1 GBP = $1.2094 USD (Fizz- i paid this via PP)
Postage: £188.76 (this was what i paid (Norbert))
VAT: £61
Import duty: £0

Total: circa £381

The seller will have to give you a tax invoice! It's really important, without invoice the border crossing will be slow. Depending on the shipping company, they will ask you to pay the VAT when the item is delivered (and sometimes they only accept cash). A reputable shipping company will take care of the border crossing, pay the VAT for you (could be £10-15 admin fee charged here).
Edited by fizz

53 minutes ago, Norbert said:

@fizz crossing my fingers! :) I can't believe the condition of the exhaust you found. I wonder why these are soo cheap in the US? Nobody wants them? 

Most these types of cars there are weekend or fair weather cars so don't see much salt on the roads. 

As such, because they don't rot like ours, there must be very little demand for them hence the prices I presume. 

Which delivery company did yours get sent via? 

If I knew second hand exhaust prices would be this crazy I'd have bought lots years ago. I paid about £60 nearly 10 years ago for a low mileage good one.

16 minutes ago, fizz said:

Most these types of cars there are weekend or fair weather cars so don't see much salt on the roads. 

As such, because they don't rot like ours, there must be very little demand for them hence the prices I presume. 

Which delivery company did yours get sent via? 

UPS, took them 3 days to move the exhaust from the US west coast to Birmingham!! After that Birmingham - Sheffield took 2 weeks. :D

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, fizz said:

It's now been picked up! 

oKpsy4Z.jpeg

Looks excellent! 

Few other parts on the shelf there... 

5BAIetV.jpeg

That looks like a right peach of a used exhaust. Well done. Bonus point is, you can sell the S twin tips for over £100.

And if you have a side brace bar on the one you remove, I would be interested in purchasing from you as mine is AWOL. 👍

11 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

That looks like a right peach of a used exhaust. Well done. Bonus point is, you can sell the S twin tips for over £100.

Really? would be good to get some monies back from all the effort... 

11 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

And if you have a side brace bar on the one you remove, I would be interested in purchasing from you as mine is AWOL. 👍

I have no idea which bit on the exhaust that is but if i have a spare one then you have first dibs. lol 

5 minutes ago, fizz said:

Really? would be good to get some monies back from all the effort... 

I have no idea which bit on the exhaust that is but if i have a spare one then you have first dibs. lol 

Good set of original tips go for around £120. People like to change them out if you have the facelift with the oval tips.

I have a post in the wanted section with a drawing. I will pin a link. ta. 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Ahh cool the one on the back... yeah not a problem mate. I presume my existing one has it on there and if so you can have it mate FOC. You can just cover the postage and its yours. :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fizz said:

Ahh cool the one on the back... yeah not a problem mate. I presume my existing one has it on there and if so you can have it mate FOC. You can just cover the postage and its yours. :) 

Nice one that man. Hopefully it will be on your old one. Not sure why mine is missing, but a guess would be that the nuts had rotted away as that bolt & nut is mild steel. It had the clamp bolts changed about 8 years ago and I guess it was removed then. 👍

6 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Nice one that man. Hopefully it will be on your old one. Not sure why mine is missing, but a guess would be that the nuts had rotted away as that bolt & nut is mild steel. It had the clamp bolts changed about 8 years ago and I guess it was removed then. 👍

Considering the state of my back box... you might not be lucky! :D 

That sounds so bad when you read it back! :whistle:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Maaan... if that was available before I bought mine in the states. I'm tempted to get it and sell mine now. Lol

Edited by fizz
  • Haha 1