Exhaust back box options

Norbert

On 1/9/2024 at 10:54 PM, jonogt6 said:

You could clean that surface staining off in no time with some Harpic 10x and a bit of wire wool. If you fancy it all shiny that is.

Really ? Harpic 10x would work? I have been thinking how to clean the rust, possibly paint it. Thanks for the tip!

If you are going to paint you'll need heat resistant paint and primer and an etch primer to do a good job as its hot and  stainless steel.

43 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Really ? Harpic 10x would work? I have been thinking how to clean the rust, possibly paint it. Thanks for the tip!

46 minutes ago, Norbert said:

Yes it has an active rust remover. Only on modest staining though but brought mine up a treat with minimal effort

Have a look at my 550 running report. I resorted to wet sanding mine. 

On 1/10/2024 at 7:15 PM, kdh said:

Thanks 1/2.

I think I'll go for it, the rest looks to be okay

If you go for it and have a front support bar on the one you remove, I would be interested in buying as mine is missing. 😉🤙🏻

17 hours ago, kdh said:

I currently have a DesignTek exhaust on there at the moment, I don't know if that has the support bar you'd want?

I did contact the guys who had that exhaust and they wouldn’t remove it. Offered me a discount for the whole exhaust. Which I thought about as the tips are worth a couple of bob if in good nick. Get the box repaired and move it on. But I need to get mine sorted before dreaming about other projects. 😂. Hope it is ok. 🤙🏻

On 1/11/2024 at 6:15 PM, ½cwt said:

@EVO Chris how much work was involved in polishing your exhaust?

Is was not too difficult and  about 4 hours work, the first thing you need is harpic x10 power, toilet cleaner lol, it removes all staining from the stainless bringing it to dull stainless finish, luckily I had no surface rust as the has been mostly used in the dry weather, next job was a stainless polishing mop kit, fleebay purchase if I remember correctly with different grades of soap, attached the mop to a drill and got polishing, came up a treat and stayed shiney ever since, looks fab and a great feeling of satisfaction…..I do like to polish stuff 😁. Check out YouTube with the harpic power x 10 and see what it does to stainless motorcycle exhaust, awesome stuff, 👍

ex6

Edited by EVO Chris

It still looks like that, I am lucky enough to only use in the summer months and it has not seen any rain, it has gone slightly golden in places but adds to the finish. You would not know it has been opened up to have the Carnewal mod done.

• Like 1

https://www.carnewal.com/products/986/p86037/986-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

Had one of these on my 996t, looks completely standard, but modified internals and a lot more 'gruff' than the standard item. They also offer fitting, so if you've ever needed an excuse to go and stock up on Belgian chocolates and beer...

2 hours ago, plynchy said:

https://www.carnewal.com/products/986/p86037/986-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

Had one of these on my 996t, looks completely standard, but modified internals and a lot more 'gruff' than the standard item. They also offer fitting, so if you've ever needed an excuse to go and stock up on Belgian chocolates and beer...

I am thinking about one of these and Carnewal don’t sell them for the 986 due to the many variations and charge €390 to do your car in their workshop. I would love to hear a 986 if anyone in the south east has one please?

17 minutes ago, TV8 said:

I am thinking about one of these and Carnewal don’t sell them for the 986 due to the many variations and charge €390 to do your car in their workshop. I would love to hear a 986 if anyone in the south east has one please?

I have one for several years. I sent an exhaust to him and he did the job and sent it back. 

13 hours ago, edc said:

I have one for several years. I sent an exhaust to him and he did the job and sent it back. 

I suppose that would be an option but I asked about exchange and he said bring it to him. I see your car has sports cats and different manifolds. What sort are they please?

14 hours ago, TV8 said:

If it were me (and this is what I've done recently) I would save your money, save the trip and / or the posting to Carnewal and get bypass pipes fitted at your local friendly garage. They sound just as good as the Carnewal system. Google Oettle to see what I'm on about.

1 hour ago, kdh said:

f it were me (and this is what I've done recently) I would save your money, save the trip and / or the posting to Carnewal and get bypass pipes fitted at your local friendly garage. They sound just as good as the Carnewal system. Google Oettle to see what I'm on about.

Are you referring to the one sold by Spyder performance with the key fob? If so, I have thought about those and decided against them. 

4 hours ago, kdh said:

No, I'm talking about bypass pipes.

Google Oettle.

Found it. Thank you. 
Do you have this system? I wonder what it is like for drone on faster/longer journeys? 

I have the Hayward and Scott bypass same as the Oettle one mentioned.
The  sound is amazing and not droning at all.  
At  a constant speed you can’t really hear it at all only under acceleration.
I often lower my window when I haven’t got the roof off just to hear it!!😆  

Edited by Halfordwill