987 Air Box Upgrade.

phazed

I went on to my profile and clicked on subscriptions and went from there. 

Another question. How can I delete attachments to free up space as I apparently have used up 100% of attachment space. Cheers.

26 minutes ago, phazed said:

Another question. How can I delete attachments to free up space as I apparently have used up 100% of attachment space. Cheers.

Apparently you can't do that.  Use the Imgur or Flickr hosting services and 'Copy Image Link' into you postings from the images you post on those hosts.

So those pictures that I put in a few years ago, we put in wrongly and actually act as attachments?

9 hours ago, phazed said:

Try clicking on your profile picture (top right), then select “my attachments” and you’ll see each one listed. Click on each one and that takes you to the post you made. Click the three dots at the top of the post and then edit your post, which should allow you to delete the attachment.

2 hours ago, BBB said:

Try clicking on your profile picture (top right), then select “my attachments” and you’ll see each one listed. Click on each one and that takes you to the post you made. Click the three dots at the top of the post and then edit your post, which should allow you to delete the attachment.

Clicking on those 3 dots just brings up, "share" and "report". sadly.

9 minutes ago, phazed said:

Clicking on those 3 dots just brings up, "share" and "report". sadly.

That’s weird, I get share, report and edit.

Alright gents, thought I'd let you know my outcomes with a 987 airbox, 987 MAF, 996 TB and 996 plenum. I have a facelift 2.7 which needed a new engine, so the new to me engine went in with the new to me intake upgrades. A few weeks ago I took it to ChipWizards to get it mapped as Wayne really knows his stuff. So the outcome was 235bhp and 203lbft (I think...will check) torque. Wayne said the intake changes make more of a difference on 3.2 engines and those with exhaust upgrades (I have standard manifolds and exhaust). The difference in drivability however is where its most noticeable, pulls harder low down and revs much faster. The 987 airbox also had the helmholtz resonator removed to make it fit so the induction sound is amazing. All in all I would have liked a bit more power (I'll wait for my exhaust to die) but drivability and sound make it worth while. The 987 airbox makes the most difference, MAF, TB and Plenum are nice to haves on a 2.7, might add a couple more ponies for larger engines with the exhaust mods.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Randeep said:

Alright gents, thought I'd let you know my outcomes with a 987 airbox, 987 MAF, 996 TB and 996 plenum. I have a facelift 2.7 which needed a new engine, so the new to me engine went in with the new to me intake upgrades. A few weeks ago I took it to ChipWizards to get it mapped as Wayne really knows his stuff. So the outcome was 235bhp and 203lbft (I think...will check) torque. Wayne said the intake changes make more of a difference on 3.2 engines and those with exhaust upgrades (I have standard manifolds and exhaust). The difference in drivability however is where its most noticeable, pulls harder low down and revs much faster. The 987 airbox also had the helmholtz resonator removed to make it fit so the induction sound is amazing. All in all I would have liked a bit more power (I'll wait for my exhaust to die) but drivability and sound make it worth while. The 987 airbox makes the most difference, MAF, TB and Plenum are nice to haves on a 2.7, might add a couple more ponies for larger engines with the exhaust mods.

I tried to contact Wayne multiple times and no reply.  Is there a magic way to get a hold of the Wizard?

18 minutes ago, Randeep said:

10 bhp and 12 lbft gain on standard, but possibly a better shape torque curve.  If the engine is out it is possibly worth the effort, but still a lot of money for the gain.  Getting a 3.2 is probably more cost effective and a lot simpler...

1 hour ago, MickH said:

I tried to contact Wayne multiple times and no reply.  Is there a magic way to get a hold of the Wizard?

I just dropped him an email via the link on his website. You can then book a slot online, it took 3.5hrs in total.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

10 bhp and 12 lbft gain on standard, but possibly a better shape torque curve.  If the engine is out it is possibly worth the effort, but still a lot of money for the gain.  Getting a 3.2 is probably more cost effective and a lot simpler...

Its cheaper to get a 3.2 from the start but I was already a many £££ into refreshing the 2.7, so carried on spending 🤪 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickH said:

Dare I say it. 😶

He lives in the emerald city and if you don't have a broomstick!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road! 😂👍

• Haha 1

Just taken the plunge. Have removed the airbox, plenum, TB and tubing. Took about an hour. Saw a tip on the web to split the airbox down the seam and remove in two pieces, pretty easy.

Now comes the hard bit. I assume that the near side inlet manifold needs to be removed and the fuel rail loosened.? Anything else?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Randeep said:

I just dropped him an email via the link on his website. You can then book a slot online, it took 3.5hrs in total.

Ive tried that multiple times.  Ill give it another go

3 hours ago, Randeep said:

Its cheaper to get a 3.2 from the start but I was already a many £££ into refreshing the 2.7, so carried on spending 🤪 

Good old Man Maths!

4 hours ago, phazed said:

Just taken the plunge. Have removed the airbox, plenum, TB and tubing. Took about an hour. Saw a tip on the web to split the airbox down the seam and remove in two pieces, pretty easy.

Now comes the hard bit. I assume that the near side inlet manifold needs to be removed and the fuel rail loosened.? Anything else?

I had mine fitted with the engine out so was much simpler. It sits very tight on the near side so I would imagine you'd need to remove the inlet manifolds or I have heard of people dropping the engine slightly.

Any ideas where the best place to obtain the inlet manifold and oil cooler O rings? Also an AOS which I have decided to replace while I am down there.

9 hours ago, phazed said:

Any ideas where the best place to obtain the inlet manifold and oil cooler O rings? Also an AOS which I have decided to replace while I am down there.

AOS is best from Porsche.  Aftermarket ones have been found to be variable in life/quality.  Porsche is probably the best bet for the O-rings too if you are getting the AOS at the same time.  By the way the bottom spring clip for the AOS if you get one from Porsche it has a handy plastic catch keeping it open that you just pull out when you've got it to the correct position saves messing with long reach pliers.

From parts cat:

Pre '03 AOS 996 107 023 04

03 - AOS 996 107 026 01

The above both come with the bottom hose and its hose clamp on the AOS

Bottom hose clamp 999 512 630 00

Inlet manifold to cylinder head O-rings 996 110 247 03

There are 3 different O-rings listed for the oil cooler and it totals 10 O-rings int eh listings but I can only see 8 positions, 4 above and 4 below the intermediate plate that sits under the oil cooler:

999 707 409 40 (2 off) 26 x 3mm

999 707 389 40 (4 off) 35 x 4mm

999 707 193 40 (4 off) 28 x 2.5mm

That is brilliant information. Thank you so much, as soon as dog walking is complete. I will be on the phone. 👍

22 hours ago, Randeep said:

Can I get to the helmholz resonator by just removing the airfilter? I'm assuming there's a hole through to a secondary chamber that just needs to be plugged. Don't want my helmholz resonating unduly.

1 minute ago, phazed said:

That is brilliant information. Thank you so much, as soon as dog walking is complete. I will be on the phone. 👍

As ever ask them to confirm for detail parts like this.  Also if any are up issued to newer numbers can you let me know please so I can add them to my records.

Will do. I will ask when they come back to me.

I have inquired at Parr’s of Crawley. Nearest to me.

I tried Design 911 late yesterday and they didn’t have any stock at all of anything that I wanted. Disappointing.