987 Air Box Upgrade.

phazed

Good luck with that. Interested to hear about your results. Are you going to do a before and after Dyno run?

• Like 1

I always had power runs from Surrey rolling Road at about 50 pounds a shot. It was worth it. I did a huge amount of upgrades to my 5.5 TVR and it was always good to see the torque, BHP, and to see if the fueling was correct.

definitely recommended if you can.

if you do, try and emulate similar conditions. I.e.: cold dry morning as this does make a difference when comparing like for like.

• Like 1

Likewise I used Charlie at SRR as down the road from me. Base line then runs after each mod. At the end I got all the graphs overlaid for my old 986S. 

• Like 1

Don't worry about the figure itself, it's the change you're looking at. 

• Like 1

For example, your research points you not to do the throttle body, but my Dyno showed no loss but a gain. Horses for courses. 

• Like 1

throttle body added bhp and torques over the whole rev range on my old 986 (AKA Molly on the owners thread).  It literally woke up the throttle response from "wait for it" to ALIVE. 

I did lose 1-2 mpg, but a must mod for me as it was cheap and I didn't do a re-map.

Plots should be in the Molly thread, the how to is in EDC's thread as we fitted his first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patt said:

throttle body added bhp and torques over the whole rev range on my old 986 (AKA Molly on the owners thread).  It literally woke up the throttle response from "wait for it" to ALIVE. 

I did lose 1-2 mpg, but a must mod for me as it was cheap and I didn't do a re-map.

Plots should be in the Molly thread, the how to is in EDC's thread as we fitted his first.

Hi @Patt

Can you point me in the right direction of the Molly thread please. I have searched Molly with no luck and cannot find an owners thread? Cheers

1 hour ago, Patt said:

no idea what page it's on - I did loads to her.

Hi @Patt

I have read through all 11 pages and although there is reference to a larger tb and plenum I could not find any description of the work or dyno graphs other than a note that power had gone from 202 to 254, which makes me think maybe there was a problem that was then resolved.

No notes about increased power due to mod though?

Maybe in another thread?

I'll have a hunt to see if I have the plots.  The total power gain was purely good servicing (new coil backs, plugs oil etc.)and the TB + a panel air filter.

From memory the TB gave 3bhp and 6 lbft over the whole range, but the improvement in driving was way more noticeable than the numbers suggested. And it only cost about £120 to do!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patt said:

I'll have a hunt to see if I have the plots.  The total power gain was purely good servicing (new coil backs, plugs oil etc.)and the TB + a panel air filter.

From memory the TB gave 3bhp and 6 lbft over the whole range, but the improvement in driving was way more noticeable than the numbers suggested. And it only cost about £120 to do!

Jumping in here. What TB and where would one obtain it ? 
What other parts are required?

If you don’t mind me asking…..

I have the airbox, (that’s a start!

996 throttle body and plenum. I have spares in my garage if you are looking to do this mod. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

996 throttle body and plenum. I have spares in my garage if you are looking to do this mod. 

Definitely looking to do this mod. Please pm me with details. Thanks.

11 hours ago, edc said:

We spent a few fun Saturdays sorting this out, didn't we Ed.

It was only the other week I threw away the "plan A"  drainpipe 😆

That was everything after removal.  Same as everything required:

1 x 74mm TB

1 x 996 TB intake pipe (iirc £12 from OPC)

2x 82mm 90 deg hose 

1x 80x 300mm ali pipe for intake or intercooler.

6x new hose clamps

Cut hose to size + profile required (NOT as easy as it sounds)

The one for EDC took a couple of weekends to get right, mine took not much more than an hour, using the EDC as a template.

In will my check garage at weekend but 99% sure I have the throttle body and plenum as I was going to do this for my 550 too but gave up a long time ago. 

10 hours ago, Patt said:

We spent a few fun Saturdays sorting this out, didn't we Ed.

It was only the other week I threw away the "plan A"  drainpipe 😆

A good few weekends templating then actual done in an afternoon after fixing a couple of small air leaks.