987 Air Box Upgrade.

phazed

Hi

To fit the 987 airbox to a 986 you need to modify the box as seen below

https://imgur.com/a/qRlC0Jb

You then need to decide whether to use the 987 maf tube which will require a new dme tune or splice in the 986 maf tube (no tune required).

Good luck finding somewhere that can do the tune, the only place I have found so far and thinks to this forum is Chip Wizards at Rawtenstall.

Are yo going to fit a larger throttle body and plenum as well?

If it was an easy modification to just fit the airboxthen I would do it while I have things apart.

I really need to see what the engine is like long-term before I decide to go down the route of further modifications, (engine wise).

The engine has done 112 K miles and as far as I’m aware it is sound. Of course I won’t really know until the whole car is up and running and I have done a track day.

It’s funny, I did at least 30 Track Days in my 1.8 turbo Skoda in three years. It didn’t miss a beat and I was never, ever concerned about the longevity of the engine even though it was at full chat all the time and often with three drivers sharing the car on Track Days. With the Porsche, probably due to horror stories and reading up and expanding on these, I don’t feel as comfortable regarding reliability. I’m hoping this is mainly in my mind but who knows. The car had a clutch fitted a few thousand miles ago but there is no mention of the IMS bearing  having been fitted then or at any time in the limited documentation that came with the car. 

Add to that, camshaft tensioners and camshaft chains, it can be a bit of a worry! My thoughts, at the moment are to use it for this coming year hoping it won’t explode and if all runs nicely, take out the engine next winter, strip it down and replace all the items that could be worn at that mileage. Am I being a pessimist, a realist or just worrying too much! ?

8 hours ago, phazed said:

I did at least 30 Track Days in my 1.8 turbo Skoda in three years.

Chap on PH is fitting the 1.8 to his 986. Quite a few of his followers there have expressed an interest in buying a conversion kit from him. Right now that's ways away as his isn't even running on its own steam. He is talking like they will be available once he is happy with it. 

Interesting. My 1.8 was mapped at an easy 245 BHP and 310 torque.

These can be tuned quite cheaply to .500 BHP plus!

On 1/1/2024 at 11:49 AM, Nitro V8 said:

Hi

To fit the 987 airbox to a 986 you need to modify the box as seen below

https://imgur.com/a/qRlC0Jb

You then need to decide whether to use the 987 maf tube which will require a new dme tune or splice in the 986 maf tube (no tune required).

Good luck finding somewhere that can do the tune, the only place I have found so far and thinks to this forum is Chip Wizards at Rawtenstall.

Are yo going to fit a larger throttle body and plenum as well?

I assume you fitted the larger throttle body to yours? You then had it remapped?

What is the advantage of using the 987 MAF, larger diameter ducting? If so and I retain the 986 MAF, will there still be an advantage in changing airboxes?

2 hours ago, phazed said:

I assume you fitted the larger throttle body to yours? You then had it remapped?

What is the advantage of using the 987 MAF, larger diameter ducting? If so and I retain the 986 MAF, will there still be an advantage in changing airboxes?

I am still asking the same questions!

Yes I have all the bits but still deciding what to fit.

4 hours ago, phazed said:

If I retain the 986 MAF, will there still be an advantage in changing airboxes?

I don't have any answers but I know the 986 550 anniversary had the 987 airbox and an extra .... drum roll .... 6 bhp

A bit like my RS60, it has a few more brake horsepower than a standard 3.4 taking it to over 300 BHP, just!

3 hours ago, Nitro V8 said:

I am still asking the same questions!

Yes I have all the bits but still deciding what to fit.

Maybe you should sell the parts to me… :)

18 hours ago, phazed said:

Maybe you should sell the parts to me… :)

I’m sure by the time I have decided exactly what I am going to do I will have parts left over. I seem to have gathered every part to do every intake mod possible!

The more you go down the rabbit hole of investigation the more confusing it it gets.

I have so many things to do on this car, I may leave that mod till after the car is up and running...

On a flight of fancy, and probably a couple of gin and tonics, I ordered the 987 airbox which has been delivered today. Might as well rip out the inlet manifold to make it easier to remove the air-conditioning pump and then the 986 airbox.

What could possibly go wrong.!

2 hours ago, phazed said:

On a flight of fancy, and probably a couple of gin and tonics, I ordered the 987 airbox which has been delivered today. Might as well rip out the inlet manifold to make it easier to remove the air-conditioning pump and then the 986 airbox.

What could possibly go wrong.!

You'll find out...

On 1/9/2024 at 7:05 PM, phazed said:

Was it worth it Mick?

I did it in conjunction with a larger TB and stainless manifolds on my first 986 S , the overall combination was very noticeable mid range

• 1 month later...

Well I have done my research and gathered a load of parts which allows me to go various routes.

I have decided not to fit the 74mm tb and 996 plenum as research and feedback from an engine builder also Wayne at Chip Wizards says that although you may gain a few hp at the top end you probably loose torque below 4k revs. The engine builder explained that the larger tb and plenum slows the incoming air at low revs therefore reducing cylinder fill. This was confirmed by “The return of Marty Wild” build and Dyno runs.

The 987 airbox mod seems to work but also looks a bit of a pain to do.

I have therefore concluded that the 986 airbox is restrictive and will replace it with a K&N enclosed Orion airbox with extra insulation.

I’m using 80mm tubing throughout with a MRP maf housing/air straightener which is the same id as the 986 maf tube so no need for a special tune.

I will also add a 100mm silicone in feed from the side vent (not sure if 45deg or 90deg will work but have both) this will be coupled with a Joe Troth intake scoop.

All the left over parts will be up for sale. Modded 987 airbox, 987 maf tube, 74mm tb, 996 plenum and various tubing.

let’s see how it goes!

XmI7Xbz.jpeg