987 Air Box Upgrade.

phazed

33 minutes ago, phazed said:

I tried Design 911 late yesterday and they didn’t have any stock at all of anything that I wanted. Disappointing.

Not a shock, these are fairly uncommonly used parts so they will buy them in from Porsche once they have demand, 'available' is different from 'in stock'.  Your OPC should also be cheaper than D911 as long as you get or ask for 10% off which most will do and usually works out at about the ex-VAT price from D911.

987 air box now in. Wasn’t so bad… disassembling is always easier, setting up the inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors and all the connections will be a pain, that is to come. Can’t do that yet as the new manifold seals and oil cooler o rings won’t be in till Monday.

Aos will be later in the week as none in stock and apparently it has to come from Germany 

Air box fell into place once the oil cooler was removed, literally a 10 second job. I did trim as much of the surplice plastic from around the outlet with an angle grinder which made it an easy fit.

inlets cleaned and taped up, oil cooler orifices stuffed with paper towel. BTW, I drained about a gallon of coolant from the thermostat hose which avoided any leakage when the oil cooler, ( which is water cooled) was removed.

Cant do anything else now till Monday.

A7ZxjL8.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. It’s all Mechano really.

I will list everything that I have done one day. I really have been to every corner of this car…

I can’t help wondering about lots of things while I am in there. Where will it end!?
it is a pain to get to once everything is put back together but seems to be working perfectly at the moment. I think I will give it a miss. I am doing the AOS while I am in there because no doubt it is the original, and there is evidence of a bit of oil in the Plenum. Car doesn’t smoke at all but considering that I’m going to use it on Track, a new one is no doubt a good idea. I would like to fit a Motorsport one, but they are astronomical! I really can’t see why they shouldn’t be more than double the price , not 7–8 times the price if my memory serves me correctly!

Maybe just clean the bit that flings out when you turn the key (run out of technical words at this point), as that seems to be the bit that squeals when it gets dirty?

A Bendix affair was used on the old starter motors. It was a heavy spring on the shaft with a small gear attached. The old starter motors threw themselves into the ring gear and turned the engine over. On an old car, the ring gear would have worn teeth in this area as an engine quite often stopped in the same place.

Pre-engaged, starter motors Have been widely used for years and a solenoid throws the shaft with gear attached to engage the ring gear before it starts turning. When it is engaged it then turns eliminating the wear and tear found on older style Bendix starter motors.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, phazed said:

A Bendix affair was used on the old starter motors. It was a heavy spring on the shaft with a small gear attached. The old starter motors threw themselves into the ring gear and turned the engine over. On an old car, the ring gear would have worn teeth in this area as an engine quite often stopped in the same place.

Pre-engaged, starter motors Have been widely used for years and a solenoid throws the shaft with gear attached to engage the ring gear before it starts turning. When it is engaged it then turns eliminating the wear and tear found on older style Bendix starter motors.

Guess it's been a long time since I had a car with starter motor problems. Touch wood.👊

On 4/12/2024 at 4:51 PM, phazed said:

987 air box now in. Wasn’t so bad… disassembling is always easier, setting up the inlet manifold, fuel rail, injectors and all the connections will be a pain, that is to come. Can’t do that yet as the new manifold seals and oil cooler o rings won’t be in till Monday.

Aos will be later in the week as none in stock and apparently it has to come from Germany 

Air box fell into place once the oil cooler was removed, literally a 10 second job. I did trim as much of the surplice plastic from around the outlet with an angle grinder which made it an easy fit.

inlets cleaned and taped up, oil cooler orifices stuffed with paper towel. BTW, I drained about a gallon of coolant from the thermostat hose which avoided any leakage when the oil cooler, ( which is water cooled) was removed.

Cant do anything else now till Monday.

A7ZxjL8.jpg

Looking good, are you going with a modified 986 MAF or 987 MAF? AOS worth doing whilst in there...

Edited by Randeep

On 4/11/2024 at 11:25 AM, Randeep said:

Alright gents, thought I'd let you know my outcomes with a 987 airbox, 987 MAF, 996 TB and 996 plenum. I have a facelift 2.7 which needed a new engine, so the new to me engine went in with the new to me intake upgrades. A few weeks ago I took it to ChipWizards to get it mapped as Wayne really knows his stuff. So the outcome was 235bhp and 203lbft (I think...will check) torque. Wayne said the intake changes make more of a difference on 3.2 engines and those with exhaust upgrades (I have standard manifolds and exhaust). The difference in drivability however is where its most noticeable, pulls harder low down and revs much faster. The 987 airbox also had the helmholtz resonator removed to make it fit so the induction sound is amazing. All in all I would have liked a bit more power (I'll wait for my exhaust to die) but drivability and sound make it worth while. The 987 airbox makes the most difference, MAF, TB and Plenum are nice to haves on a 2.7, might add a couple more ponies for larger engines with the exhaust mods.

@Randeep

Do you have a Running Report thread?

If not would you consider starting one?

Use copy and paste to make it faster/easier. 

There’s much to learn from your experience - consolidating your posts to a single thread makes it easier for folk to find and follow your path.

Cheers

map

4 hours ago, Randeep said:

Looking good, are you going with a modified 986 MAF or 987 MAF? AOS worth doing whilst in there...

I am going with a 986MAF. I’ve just picked up the AOS and the original AOS is already removed. Hopefully will get back on it tomorrow.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:26 AM, ½cwt said:

AOS is best from Porsche.  Aftermarket ones have been found to be variable in life/quality.  Porsche is probably the best bet for the O-rings too if you are getting the AOS at the same time.  By the way the bottom spring clip for the AOS if you get one from Porsche it has a handy plastic catch keeping it open that you just pull out when you've got it to the correct position saves messing with long reach pliers.

From parts cat:

Pre '03 AOS 996 107 023 04

03 - AOS 996 107 026 01

The above both come with the bottom hose and its hose clamp on the AOS

Bottom hose clamp 999 512 630 00

Inlet manifold to cylinder head O-rings 996 110 247 03

There are 3 different O-rings listed for the oil cooler and it totals 10 O-rings int eh listings but I can only see 8 positions, 4 above and 4 below the intermediate plate that sits under the oil cooler:

999 707 409 40 (2 off) 26 x 3mm

999 707 389 40 (4 off) 35 x 4mm

999 707 193 40 (4 off) 28 x 2.5mm

All your part numbers seem to be correct thank you apart from,

999 707 344 40 x 2No 

These are small green O rings which aren’t required or certainly not inbetween the base of the oil cooler and the engine block. Out of interest they are about 10 quid each which is absolutely ridiculous!

4 minutes ago, phazed said:

All your part numbers seem to be correct thank you apart from,

999 707 344 40 x 2No 

These are small green O rings which aren’t required or certainly not inbetween the base of the oil cooler and the engine block. Out of interest they are about 10 quid each which is absolutely ridiculous!

I didn't list that one.... Dims given make it look like an imperial size 18.77 x 1.78mm and it could be a special material, but the way it is listed implies it is an alternative or up issue to 35mm one.  Impossible!

1 hour ago, phazed said:

I am going with a 986MAF. I’ve just picked up the AOS and the original AOS is already removed. Hopefully will get back on it tomorrow.

Are you referring to the actual MAF or MAF tube/holder?

Both I believe… same connections to the 986 plug.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I didn't list that one.... Dims given make it look like an imperial size 18.77 x 1.78mm and it could be a special material, but the way it is listed implies it is an alternative or up issue to 35mm one.  Impossible!

Will have a check a bit later.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:08 AM, map said:

@Randeep

Do you have a Running Report thread?

If not would you consider starting one?

Use copy and paste to make it faster/easier. 

There’s much to learn from your experience - consolidating your posts to a single thread makes it easier for folk to find and follow your path.

Cheers

map

Good point I'll look to create a thread and provide some details!

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:03 PM, BBB said:

Maybe just clean the bit that flings out when you turn the key (run out of technical words at this point), as that seems to be the bit that squeals when it gets dirty?

Starter solenoid or starter pinion?