Battery removal without alarm

SHEPROC

put the key in the ignition and turn it one click, you can then disconnect the battery.

and yes, that alarm is ridiculously loud when you're right by it! rite of passage for boxster owners i think!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

put the key in the ignition and turn it one click, you can then disconnect the battery.

and yes, that alarm is ridiculously loud when you're right by it! rite of passage for boxster owners i think!

I did not know this but now I do! Thank you. :)   

48 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

To assist in completing this topic is there a similar process regarding key position when reconnecting the battery?

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

Leave the key in position 1

Without sounding stupid would that method still work if the key needed to be removed to manually lock the car after removal of the battery? Eg car stored away from home while battery taken home to recharge.

4 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Without sounding stupid would that method still work if the key needed to be removed to manually lock the car after removal of the battery? Eg car stored away from home while battery taken home to recharge.

Once disconnected you can do what you want, but bear in mind if the door is closed the glass will be up into the channel in the hood making it difficult to open and close, and if open there will still be a small gap when you close the door as the glass won't rise into the channel in the hood.  Windows will need re-indexing after a battery disconnect too,  hold switch fully down for 5 to 10 seconds after lowering the glass, than wind all the way up and hold - done. 

Even though I know the position 1/Acc position for the key, I still stuff a rag into the alarm siren when I go to disconnect the battery just in case...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SHEPROC said:

Battery back in car no ear plugs required, thanks all fo4 contributions

Don't store it in the lockable glovebox! One of the seat pockets if you have room. 👍 

Edited by GmanB

For information, the Driver's Manual P/N WRD 986 020 97 for my '97 986 has an official addendum pasted as an in-slip in the minor repairs, battery section, page 111, which calls the procedure "ALARM SIREN SERVICE OVERRIDE" and reads:

To allow the disconnection of the vehicle's battery the siren must first be placed into service mode.  Please find listed below the procedure for a service override:

1.  Disarm the alarm.

2.  Within 30 seconds turn on the ignition.

3.   Wait 20 seconds and then you may disconnect the battery.

Upon reconnection of the battery the siren will automatically release from service mode.

This works in my car which has an early type I16 alarm module.  Unfortunately the addendum doesn't mention what position the ignition switch should be in when reconnecting the battery.  I find that in my car the siren doesn't operate when reconnecting the battery with the ignition switched off.  My practice has been to switch off the ignition and connect the battery cleanly (so that there is only a single switching operation and no "chattering") to minimise power surging to the alarm, engine DME (and in my case also the Tiptronic) modules. 

2 hours ago, brillomaster said:

i dont think you have to... i swapped out the battery on my 986, and didn't need to do anything to the windows, they operated exactly as before.

Usually OK to get away with a battery swap, but they seem to lose their memory if disconnected for longer periods, say when doing work on a circuit with an airbag in it, I have found.

In the 987 - the window relearn is required for limit position for the one touch operation from the switches and for comfort opening/closing ( long press on the (un)lock button on the remote) - don't know if thats true for the 986