987 seats in a 986?

phazed

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Awesome, thank you.  Although I am embarrassed to say how little I understand of auto-electrics...

The diagrams do take a bit of working out to be fair and then translating the diagrams to the real wires you see infront of you.

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The diagrams do take a bit of working out to be fair and then translating the diagrams to the real wires you see infront of you.

I have the Bentley Service Manual and the EWDs in there make my head ache. I think I've managed to isolate the wires I should see in the car when I pull the seats out, it's just a matter of working out which wire does what with the new seats. Once the new seats arrive I'll be able to check and make sure the wires do what I expect them to do.

I plan to take a 12v power source and connect it to both the 986 and 987 seats (each in turn) and check what wire does what. Once I've worked it out I should be able to splice the wires and connect them so the seat works properly...

This might help as it gives the wire colours in and out of the connector and shows seat heating too:

vl3qdEg.jpeg

and the connector, I'd extracted the red and brown wire pins (pull out the blue tab you can see) but they are in the correct locations.

Chq8vcc.jpeg

Edited by ½cwt

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

This might help as it gives the wire colours in and out of the connector and shows seat heating too:

vl3qdEg.jpeg

and the connector, I'd extracted the red and yellow wire pins (pull out the blue tab you can see) but they are in the correct locations.

Chq8vcc.jpeg

Thanks! This really helps! I'll report back when I have the seats in front of me :)

19 hours ago, ½cwt said:

vl3qdEg.jpeg

and the connector, I'd extracted the red and yellow wire pins (pull out the blue tab you can see) but they are in the correct locations.

Chq8vcc.jpeg

What tool did you use to pull the pins out?  I could do with one of those for my retrofitting of factory heated seats project.

4 hours ago, Sanky said:

What tool did you use to pull the pins out?  I could do with one of those for my retrofitting of factory heated seats project.

Just pull out the blue tab on the connector that I mentioned as is shown in the picture and the pins come free.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the Electrical Wiring Diagram above it's starting to make more sense to me. Depending on the seats you have - and I believe my new seats are very basic with no heating or memory to worry about - you can just disregard the part of the wiring diagram that does not apply. From what I have gleaned all I need to do is find out which wires in the seat corresponds to which function. So, I plan to connect a new wire each to the Red and Brown on the car side, and connect these to the corresponding wires on the new seat. All things being equal I should be able to then power the functions of the seat so it can move.

I also plan to take the seatbelt buckle from the existing seats and swop that over to the new seats with their wiring. Apparently using the 987 seat buckle and wiring on the 986 creates an issue and the car complains with a light on the dashboard.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the seats to arrive - hopefully before the weekend - so I can get stuck in!

I bought some 987 seats for my 986.  And I just bolted them in without wiring in the backrest adjustment.  They were basically fine as is so maybe I got lucky.  I didn't keep them in the car as I eventually switched to proper buckets.  I did just swap over the belt buckle from the 986 seat to the 987 seat and then removed the white plug which attaches to this from the multi plug so I could re-attach it.  I then cable tied this to keep it from falling out.  Then when I got my 996 with Buckets I realised this wasn't necessary.  It just has nothing plugged into the multi plug.  So if you do connect the wiring of the belt buckle this effectively turns on the dash light until you insert the belt into the buckle.  If you just dont bother with any of this rewiring then the light never comes on.  Much much simpler.  When I changed to buckets I then bought some different belt buckles which were better to use.  I wont go on about this as its not relevant here.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:00 PM, ATM said:

I bought some 987 seats for my 986.  And I just bolted them in without wiring in the backrest adjustment.  They were basically fine as is so maybe I got lucky.  I didn't keep them in the car as I eventually switched to proper buckets.  I did just swap over the belt buckle from the 986 seat to the 987 seat and then removed the white plug which attaches to this from the multi plug so I could re-attach it.  I then cable tied this to keep it from falling out.  Then when I got my 996 with Buckets I realised this wasn't necessary.  It just has nothing plugged into the multi plug.  So if you do connect the wiring of the belt buckle this effectively turns on the dash light until you insert the belt into the buckle.  If you just dont bother with any of this rewiring then the light never comes on.  Much much simpler.  When I changed to buckets I then bought some different belt buckles which were better to use.  I wont go on about this as its not relevant here.

That's very helpful, thanks! The seats arrived this morning and, while they need a bit of a clean and some leather care, they look great. No rips or tears. The driver's bolster is a little saggy from being used but nothing serious. I also had to try them out on the floor in my study and they certainly feel a LOT better than the standard seats in the 986. I haven't had time to look at the wiring yet (I do have to do some work...) and I'll only be able to do the swap this weekend - IF the weather holds. :)

20 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

That's very helpful, thanks! The seats arrived this morning and, while they need a bit of a clean and some leather care, they look great. No rips or tears. The driver's bolster is a little saggy from being used but nothing serious. I also had to try them out on the floor in my study and they certainly feel a LOT better than the standard seats in the 986. I haven't had time to look at the wiring yet (I do have to do some work...) and I'll only be able to do the swap this weekend - IF the weather holds. :)

Make sure to place a towel on the sill. Otherwise you can mangle the sill or kick plate very quickly. 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Make sure to place a towel on the sill. Otherwise you can mangle the sill or kick plate very quickly. 

That's good advice. I don't even think of the kick plate. 

2 hours ago, Patt said:

and steering wheel far up and in as possible.

My steering only goes in or out. I'll put it in as far as I can so it's out of the way.

I have cleaned the seats and given them a first coat of leather care. I'll let that soak in and do a few more coats. I also have some leather re-colouring balm in black on the way from Furniture Clinic. Their stuff is very good and tends to go a long way. I have some grey re-colouring balm but that won't work on these seats...

I also had a look at the wiring under the passenger seat (took the plug apart until I could see the wiring). Two brown, one red and a yellow and black wire. No wires on the seatbelt so that's good. The seat up/down is mechanical and that works perfectly, so all I have to worry about is wiring the seatback correctly. I'll play around with that a bit this week before I install the seats (hopefully on the weekend if it doesn't rain....)

PS: the seats look really good after the first clean and some leather care. A little wear on the driver's bolster where the colour is starting to come off. A bit of black re-colouring balm should sort that out.

I must say I am very pleased with my purchase. £300 for two 987 seats in this condition is a steal.

Edited by RedBarediver

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

The seat up/down is mechanical and that works perfectly

I think on my 986 the 987 seat headrest interfaced much more with the roll over hoops especially in the higher positions. I had mine as low as possible so not a concern. Occasionally I did have the passenger seat higher up for a younger person. 

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I must say I am very pleased with my purchase. £300 for two 987 seats in this condition is a steal.

Where did you manage to find a pair of seats for 300 pounds?

13 hours ago, ATM said:

I think on my 986 the 987 seat headrest interfaced much more with the roll over hoops especially in the higher positions. I had mine as low as possible so not a concern. Occasionally I did have the passenger seat higher up for a younger person. 

I plan to keep mine as low as possible. I am quite tall and have long legs which is the reason I bought the seats because I should be able to get a bit more leg and headroom.

12 hours ago, phazed said:

Where did you manage to find a pair of seats for 300 pounds?

eBay. Spotted them by luck and grabbed it as soon as I could. they looked quite good on the pictures, just a little dusty and dirty. Cleaned them up yesterday and they look way better than I thought they would.

FYI Steve Strange has a set on eBay now for around £375 or something if you're looking. They're not heated or fully automatic but if like me you're not bothered about it then that's a good deal. Heated seats seem to go for anything from £750 a pair to £2,499.99.....

By the way if anyone is looking to buy leather care for their seats I have a code from furniture clinic that will give you a 10% discount. Valid for the next week or less. 

Edited by RedBarediver

15 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I also had a look at the wiring under the passenger seat (took the plug apart until I could see the wiring). Two brown, one red and a yellow and black wire. No wires on the seatbelt so that's good. The seat up/down is mechanical and that works perfectly, so all I have to worry about is wiring the seatback correctly.

I realised that this may give someone the wrong idea if he is researching replacing the seats with 987 seats. The passenger side doesn't have a wire running from the seatbelt receptacle to the plug under the seat. The driver's side seat does have one (to turn the light on the dash on and off as pointed out by ATM) so I'll have to see if I want to use that or not. I never drive anywhere without the seatbelt on so it doesn't matter if the light works or not. As long as it stays off then I'm happy.

BTW, just in case anyone needs the ISO fixings for their car, I plan to take the ISO fixings off the passenger side. I don't have kids and don't plan to drive any kids around either.